1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC -- would you order again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:33 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've moderated my position on this subject. If you're questioning whether or not you need DSC, you probably do. OTOH, if you read this month's GRM on the latest crop of electronic aids and nod approvingly, you might think otherwise.

I'd echo the previous comment on the intrusiveness of ASC with LSD. If indeed its less intrusive with LSD, its still way too intrusive in IMO.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
But that doesn't prepare you for ..... as you are countersteering a slide, you exit the gravel you rear is sliding on, Hooking up HARD with the pavement your car snaps back the other way, and before you can spin the steering wheel through 2.5 turns, you are already gone
I can vouch for that.

Originally Posted by XAlfa
I would doubt that DSC is going to do a whole lot for you in that case, either...
In my case, DSC would have saved me before I ever had to countersteer.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
formerAlfanut
Neutral
[quote=XAlfa]formerAlfanut - Why no more Alfas for you?

Not to go off-topic or anything, but...mostly the cost of repairs just got to me after a while (six in a row).

I'm actually still smitten. Was eyeballing a sad '83 GTV-6 for $2650 at the point my late unlamented Mitsubishi blew a head gasket (my fault) and I decided to redirect the money toward the Mini purchase. It (the Alfa) was not well maintained but did have the 3.0 engine, some suspension mods, and no rust.

But my favorite of all time was my '65 Giulia TI (not Super) sedan. Am still kicking myself for selling.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My DCS has kicked in a few times on mountain roads. I don't know if it saved my bacon, but it certainly didn't hurt me. I think there was maybe one time when I thought the DCS was intrusive. I'd get it again.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Scouser
6th Gear
DSC has saved my bacon a few times.

Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I didn't have it would I take as many liberties

We'll never know

I would order it again.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the track, it sucks...

Originally Posted by minims
My DCS has kicked in a few times on mountain roads. I don't know if it saved my bacon, but it certainly didn't hurt me.
When it kicks in and drops power, it seems to take FOREVER for the power to come back on. Evry now and then I forget to turn the sucker off, and turn 5 at Thunderhill will "remind" me every time I do forget.

Matt

Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like you need an Ian module, or MCAW, Matt!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:20 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
I have DSC and GLAD I do

I ran my car in Time Trials at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannnah. Ga ...

IN THE POURING RAIN !!!! I have video to prove it

DSC saved my life, stopped my car from sliding out and hydroplaning at 100+ mph and my times were good .... ORDER IT

Old 02-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eVal
Question is "DSC, would you order again?" - you've got to have had it in the first place to answer that, no? Anything else is speculation since ya haven't lived it in the first place and, again, ASC is not the same
I may not have lived with it, but I have spent a day with it. My day with it saved me the cost of that darned thing. Very intrusive & to me a waste of money. ASC isn't the same, but it's also included in the DSC package & yep it's very intrusive too.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:40 PM
miminut
3rd Gear
Location: Half Moon Bay California, 25 miles south of SF on the coast
DSC and ASC saved my butt the other day. Without it I would have shunted into a guard rail. Woodside Road was wet and the intervention in a corner was wonderful.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I don't know why it was so intrusive for you, the DSC on the 03 and 05 MCS has not been for either of us (and we are rather spirited drivers..). Although the older tech of the ASC is utilized in DSC it does not function the same as ASC alone as it is effected/tempered by how the DSC works. I know you've prob seen this before but just in case anyone is interested here is info on it:

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/dsc.htm

Anyway perhaps more time with it, or on a different car (since I have heard here that there was some programming that might have made some cars act differently) would have changed your .02 on it.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the things that got me on track in the first place five years ago was buying a 911 with no PSM (Porsche's version of DSC). It scared me. With a car capable sub 5 second 0-60 times, a top end around 170 MPH, with 60% of its weight on the rears and reputation for gobs of oversteer, I wanted PSM, but I got offered such a good deal on a car without it, I couldn't pass it up. Given that a PSM upgrade was essentially undoable, I felt it was prudent to learn a bit more about how to drive.

Since that time, I've tracked that car in sessions in the pouring rain and been passed by no one and taken plenty in the process. Moral: You can go plenty fast and survive without DSC. The best insurance against accidents and incidents isn't on sale at a dealership. It resides between your ear lobes. Go ahead and buy DSC, under some circumstances it certainly can correct for foolishness or poor decision making in the face of the unexpected. But if you've got butt feel and a lick of common sense, you can certainly cope with the realities of the road without it. If you're lacking either, without a doubt buy it. If you'd otherwise become an insurance statistic, heck your saving me money on my premiums too. But whatever you do, don't kid yourself about where safety truly begins and where the real brains in an automobile reside.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Boondox
3rd Gear
I have it on my 05 MC and like it. I haven't actually needed it yet, but the flashing light is a nice early warning of wicked conditions in winter. The low temp warning is the first line of defense and the DSC flash is the second, telling me to shift into winter driving mode.

Pete

Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 AM
findude
4th Gear
If you EVER drive on compromised surfaces (snow, ice, even rain), get the DSC. You can always turn it off. I suspect not having it will be a liability for resale within a few years since almost all cars above a certain price point will have it.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Since that time, I've tracked that car in sessions in the pouring rain and been passed by no one and taken plenty in the process. Moral: You can go plenty fast and survive without DSC. The best insurance against accidents and incidents isn't on sale at a dealership. It resides between your ear lobes. Go ahead and buy DSC, under some circumstances it certainly can correct for foolishness or poor decision making in the face of the unexpected. But if you've got butt feel and a lick of common sense, you can certainly cope with the realities of the road without it. If you're lacking either, without a doubt buy it. If you'd otherwise become an insurance statistic, heck your saving me money on my premiums too. But whatever you do, don't kid yourself about where safety truly begins and where the real brains in an automobile reside.
Very well spoken rjmann.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:37 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rjmann
One of the things that got me on track in the first place five years ago was buying a 911 with no PSM (Porsche's version of DSC). It scared me. With a car capable sub 5 second 0-60 times, a top end around 170 MPH, with 60% of its weight on the rears and reputation for gobs of oversteer, I wanted PSM, but I got offered such a good deal on a car without it, I couldn't pass it up. Given that a PSM upgrade was essentially undoable, I felt it was prudent to learn a bit more about how to drive.

You may know how to drive, but surely you must admit that there are a dozen to one, those who THINK they can drive.....(all those people you pass on the track perhaps... ) and the thing that I dont understand is how you guys can carte blanche recomend no DSC to those whom you have no understanding of thier abilities. My points have always been that it bails out the 95% of people who would lose control in the same condition you would pull out of. A parking lot is not trained, 1day at a track is not trained. hundreds of laps in cars that you can lose if you sneeze at a bad time IS trained. IMO...those are the people that can feel the car better than the computer can

Old 02-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
From some of what I've read here & on other boards many, not all, think that DSC will save them & from the laws of physics. I believe those same people will drive harder than they should in poor conditions with the misguided belief that some computer chips will make it OK. IMHO DSC is at best a placebo.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
eVal
6th Gear
What keeps getting lost here is the orginal question and the fact that DSC is a better technology then ASC, which is what you'd get without the DSC on an MCS. So the fact remains that you can turn either off when you want to, but if you do want to have traction control for those conditions you see fit you will be better off with DSC. Like a radar detector, if it saves you once or twice it has paid for itself.

PS: Considering the recent topics discussed about issues with the warranty it is worth noting that although driving on the track without traction control is a great way to learn, and the place to do it if pushing the edge, it should be mentioned that this can mess with your Mini warranty coverage. It is a great way to learn things about driving for sure, but when people do it they should know the possible rammifications.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:40 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
formerAlfanut - Why no more Alfas for you?

I had to ditch my beloved Giallo Ocra '69 1750 GTV for a Mini when I "acquired" a 70-mile round trip commute. My two subsequent Minis have been great, but they're not Alfas.
while I was growing up, my father had the same car... lots of fun. For awhile I had a '87 Milano

Old 03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
I'm still not sure if I'm going to need DSC if I'm getting LSD.

I've never had DSC before on a care i've driven, and the few (minis) i test drove with it on it felt like somebody was mashing on the brakes when I least needed it. DSC off was much more fun (albeit a tad more dangerous).

Is DSC something that can be added aftermarket or through the dealer? Or is it OEM only?

Also, do i understand correctly that the MCS comes standard with ACS? If so, what's the difference?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
Also, do i understand correctly that the MCS comes standard with ACS? If so, what's the difference?
http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/dsc.htm

Fwiw, as previously stated, we have found DSC to be less abrupt/intrusive then ASC when on, additionaly it is a more advanced system.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
"It sucks less than the standard system" is a pretty weak argument in favor of plunking down 500 bones, IMHO.

My car (on order) has no DSC, but has an LSD. Coming from motorcycles, I've learned you need to respect your limits. Seems to me knowing an electronic nanny is there to protect you doesn't do much to make you a better driver. In for a penny, in for a pound, I say. You screw up and something more than a flashing light on the IP should be your punishment. Ending up backwards in a ditch is good for the soul.

Off-topic: Ex-Alfa owner here too (GTVs, Spiders, and a '65 Giulia TI). Now I'm down to just a couple of pretty nice Fiats -- unfortunately one "has to" go to make room for the MCS. It's going to be tough...

Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bobdobbs
"It sucks less than the standard system" is a pretty weak argument in favor of plunking down 500 bones, IMHO.

My car (on order) has no DSC, but has an LSD. Coming from motorcycles, I've learned you need to know you limits and not exceed them. Seems to me knowing an electronic nanny is there to protect you doesn't do much to make you a better driver. In for a penny, in for a pound, I say. You screw up and something more than a flashing light on the IP should be your punishment. Ending up backwards in a ditch is good for the soul.

Off-topic: Ex-Alfa owner here too (GTVs, Spiders, and a '65 Giulia TI). Now I'm down to just a couple of pretty nice Fiats -- unfortunately one "has to" go to make room for the MCS. It's going to be tough...
Pretty funny but not what I was saying - I am saying that it interferes less and works better then ASC when you have it on. It doesn't suck at all when it saves your ***, or saves someone elses ***, when otherwise in ego you might overestimate your skills under every circumstance and driving/weather/personal condition (ie tired)... All it takes is one time keeping you out of an accident to make it worthwhile, it doesnt mean you have to have on all the time - calling it silly names that may threaten someone's sense of machismo does nothing to diminish its real usefulness as a tool for safe steet driving when the conditions call for it.

Nope, having good traction control for the appropriate situations does not suck at all - you can keep your 'punishment', with hope you don't punish anyone else in the process of proving yourself on the road.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
Like I said, respect your limits.

BTW, a track, not the road, is where you test your limits.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:13 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
On my daily driver, DSC has saved me some rubber, AND I think it has made me a better driver-smoother-by "reminding" me to roll onto the gas rather than jump on the accelerator. Since you can turn it off -- and I do now and again -- I think I would order it again, although it would not be the top of my option list.

Quick Reply: DSC -- would you order again?