1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC -- would you order again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
formerAlfanut
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC -- would you order again?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Hi. 1st post. Have been lurking for a year or so – great site – but suddenly find myself in a financial position to actually order an MCS. However, to make it happen, I have to shave back my fantasy mini – leather, sunroof, fancier stereo, to name 3 items – so that the payments are proportional to reality. I had long ago blown off the sport package to avoid the 17” wheels, but had assumed the bedrock options of my Mini would be LSD and DSC, maybe in part because two years ago I saw a tow truck peeling a Mini off a canyon wall, and thought, "i bet he didn't have DSC".[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Now I’m doubting DSC.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Any thoughts from those who have it – would you order it again (assuming it didn’t come in the Sport package). Do you leave it mostly on or off? If off, do you turn it back on in the rain/snow?[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]My driving style is somewhat aggressive but not overly so. I’m more into curvy bits than straight line speed. And when it gets wet I drive extremely conservatively.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Future configuration, so far: MCS, BRG/white, LSD, 16” wheels, rear fog light, chrono pkg, steering wheel w/audio controls, black leatherette, other interior items undecided.[/FONT]

Old 02-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
wekk ine that case I'd be sure to get the big brake package from JCW, sorry have ASC and shut it off half the time so I can't comment on the original question, Glad to hear your getting a MINI though!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd certainly get DSC on any MINI I ordered. I only turn mine off when autocrossing and doing track days. Even on the track, I leave it on for the first few laps at a new track, just in case.

But the vocal ones here on NAM will tell you not to get it.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:11 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
I almost ate it on an exit ramp, however my DSC let me make it through the curve. I say its a nice thing to have.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:15 AM
geotek
2nd Gear
I've only made mine come one once in my regular commute, but glad i had it.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:41 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I am still awaiting my Mini. DSC was one item I had off my list for a long time. But when it came down to it I felt it was cheap insurance. My current car does not have a DSC system, and I one time found myself off the side of the road in a ditch about 10 feet away from a guard rail. Luckly, no harm to me or the car (except a bunch of dirt and grass that flew in the sunroof).

Morale of the story: You may never need it, but that one time you do it will be the difference between happy motoring and a guardrail. Like I said, $500 is cheap insurance.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:22 AM
formerAlfanut
Neutral
Thanks all. That last is a good thought - I'll just consider it insurance. That way my humorless skinflint side will accept it as a necessity rather than a luxury.

Btw when you all have had these off-the-road incidents, did the front end lose grip? or did the tail get too happy?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I have a 2001 Acura CL. Not the most sporty car, and definatly understeers.

I was having a spirited drive down one of the best curvy roads in town (It is even top on the list on my Mini dealer's website of roads to drive). I came up on a decreasing radius right hand turn. (the sign says 15mph, I was in 2nd probably approaching 50-60 mph) I apexed a little early (it was night) and started accelerating out of the turn. I started to understeer towards the yellow line when a truck came at me in the other lane. Not wanting to hit the truck I reduced throttle and added steering input (that was my mistake, I should have just reduced throttle and left the wheel alone). That caused the back end to lose grip and start to swing out towards the oncoming truck. I counter steered which spun me around so my headlights were facing the side of the truck as he passed. I countersteered again to get back on course but was moving too fast which sent me all the way around in a 360 sliding off the side of the road. Since I never hit the brakes I always had decent control of where the car went. I actually almost spun in place. It wasn't a big ditch, more just tall grass and weeds on the side of the road. I was able to just drive away. I think I still have some grass stuck between the tire and the rim.

If I would have had DSC it would have kept me in my lane to begin with. I barely exceeded my cars limits, and didn't help matters with incorrect driving technique. (Of course the Mini shouldn't have had a problem in the first place, especially with the LSD).

Old 02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd rather have the LSD than DSC.

The LSD is mechanically increasing the amount of traction you get from both front wheels.

DSC is a software solution that among other things kills power to the engine when you may need it most. I routinely turned it off, because I considered it to be more interference than I wanted.

After living with DSC for 3.5 years on my MCS, I decided to pass on my MC. No LSD was available on the MC and the MC doesn't get ASC+T standard like the MCS does, so I currently don't have traction control and I couldn't be happier.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by formerAlfanut
. I had long ago blown off the sport package to avoid the 17” wheels, but had assumed the bedrock options of my Mini would be LSD and DSC, maybe in part because two years ago I saw a tow truck peeling a Mini off a canyon wall, and thought, "i bet he didn't have DSC
Did the car look like this?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=tires+crash

This was chalked up to mis-matched tires NOT DSC

DSC is a definite MUST! Unless you are a trained racer, with lots of experiance pushing cars to thier very limits The DSC .....WILL...Save your butt at some point. Remember the Feds are about to make it mandatory on all SUV's sold. Why? Because most people just dont know how to handle thier car loosing grip, not to mention those who panic. And then most of us men think that we are all experts at vehicle handling when in reality we dont know half that we think we know.

Bottom line.....Get it. It has a switch, you can always turn it off. Meanwhile it will help keep your wife or teenager...etc safe when they have to avoid an accident on the highway

Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiD
I currently don't have traction control and I couldn't be happier.
Same here. I've had my Cooper for three years and I haven't missed it at all. I've been in a tight spot or two....not sure if DSC would have helped or hindered, but common sense (slowing down) definitely seems to work.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:55 AM
XAlfa
Banned
formerAlfanut - Why no more Alfas for you?

I had to ditch my beloved Giallo Ocra '69 1750 GTV for a Mini when I "acquired" a 70-mile round trip commute. My two subsequent Minis have been great, but they're not Alfas.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Yes

I would get DSC again.

I have a "auto off" controll.

But when things are wet / horable I am sure to have it ON

Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yep...

I'd get it again. You can turn it off. Also, the base MTH tune gets it to be much less intrusive. So I leave it on all the time, but when I track. You never know what you'll find on public roads.

Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Yup, I'd certainly get it again over the standard ASC that comes on the MCSs w/o DSC.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
have it on both of ours...would do it again.

-jac

Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
I got an LSD as an option and did not order DSC, and literally turn off ASC every time I get in the car. ASC is so damned instrusive, and "intervenes" with even the slightest bit of wheel spin, that I actually find it to be dangerous. Since ASC and DSC run off the same switch (i.e., cannnot turn off ASC while leaving DSC on), personally I would recommend against getting DSC.

(to all the hard-core DSC proponents, please keep in mind that it is my personal opinion that my car is safer without DSC -- and yes I know about the published studies which suggest that it saves lives, but those studies lack a true control group and do not at all consider accidents caused by electronic nannies -- for example you try to pull out from a side street, the "traction control" kills the power, then you are pummeled by an oncoming vehicle because your car failed to accelerate as intended by your right foot)

Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Don't forget though, ASC and DSC are not the same and I have found that the DSC does work better when on and is less abrupt/intrusive. I'd much rather have the DSC when wanted and be able to turn that off/on if necessary then have the ASC.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
justaguyinvegas
3rd Gear
I too did NOT order DSC. Call me old school, but I prefer to have complete control of my car at all times. ASC+T is already a big enough pain in the *** that I dont want to add to it. A good way to find out how your car behaves when it loses traction is go to an empty parking lot in the rain slide it around. At least you can be a little prepared for those emergency situations.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by micahbones
for example you try to pull out from a side street, the "traction control" kills the power, then you are pummeled by an oncoming vehicle because your car failed to accelerate as intended by your right foot)
If you are cutting it that close then you pulled out when you shouldn't have. I have had DSC cut in several times in that scenario. It doesn't stop you cold, It will make you nervous and a little pissed but not "cause" the accident.

All the people who think that they can control a car in a skid don't get DSC And those of us who know better do get DSC. Note: With training you can control skids, and I agree that you are safer if you are a pro.

NO...a parking lot is not "trained"
NO... A half day with Phil Wicks is not trained.
Maybe......years or running dirt track races is trained.

But that doesn't prepare you for ..... as you are countersteering a slide, you exit the gravel you rear is sliding on, Hooking up HARD with the pavement your car snaps back the other way, and before you can spin the steering wheel through 2.5 turns, you are already gone

Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by planeguy
But that doesn't prepare you for ..... as you are countersteering a slide, you exit the gravel you rear is sliding on, Hooking up HARD with the pavement your car snaps back the other way, and before you can spin the steering wheel through 2.5 turns, you are already gone
I would doubt that DSC is going to do a whole lot for you in that case, either...

Old 02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No DSC for me!

When I ordered my MCS I left DSC Electro Nanny off of the order form. I did buy the LSD & highly recommend it. The ASC almost got me on the way home from the dealer. I pulled out of a side road with plenty of time to safely get out into traffic. The ASC thought it should cut my engine power when I needed it the most. I thought I was going to get nailed by a dump truck. A little wheel spin is not a bad thing! I picked up one of Ian Cull's AutoUp circuits with track mode & now have my ASC Electro Nanny turned off all the time. I feel much safer with that darn Electro Nanny off. For me it's because I want to drive the car, not have some computer try & do it for me. Take the money you save & put it into a track day or two. Money well spent.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Question is "DSC, would you order again?" - you've got to have had it in the first place to answer that, no? Anything else is speculation since ya haven't lived it in the first place and, again, ASC is not the same

Old 02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Question is "DSC, would you order again?" - you've got to have had it in the first place to answer that, no? Anything else is speculation since ya haven't lived it in the first place and, again, ASC is not the same
What he said

That is too funny, how can you know if you miss something if you have never had it??? Hey wait .... that line can be used or LOTS of things in life ...

Old 02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes. I had the same dilemma when looking new. Ended up buying a used one with DSC. It came on a few times in a massive downpour in Kansas on my way home. Don't know if it 'saved' me, but it's a nice bit of insurance. I've had it come on undesireably a few times, but still would get it again. Reportedly the LSD helps ASC from kicking in as quickly.

You may never need it, but this thread is a good example of why you might. Maybe it would have saved his bacon had it been on, maybe not.

Quick Reply: DSC -- would you order again?