1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lurking No Longer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lurking No Longer

Greetings, all!

So I've decided to take the plunge and lurk no longer. Over the past several months, I've been learning a lot from you all and just taking it all in. It's been great; thanks for that!

Anyway, I thought that I would introduce myself. I put a deposit down several weeks ago just to be on a waiting list to order. At that time, I didn't even mind the 12 month wait. But as this new obsession grows for me, so, too, has my impatience. HA!

It's funny to me...I always thought that I would be a VW driver for life; that what I always said anyway. But after my demo drives in the MC and MCS some weeks back, there was no doubt that I would be making the switch.

Anyway, here's the MCS that I'm currently configured at. (It changes like 3 times a day):

BRG/W, cold weather, sport, 17" whites, LSD, rear fog, anthracite surface/headliner, OBC, MFSW, (still debating the auto AC, leather and security system--among other things)

~anon0mus

Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome! I lurked here for a number of years before delurking. Once I ordered my car it took 5 weeks to be delivered, then another 5 weeks when I had to reorder because car #1 didn't come with the right specs. I thought I'd die waiting that long. How the heck are you going to manage a 12 month wait?? Your car sounds very nice. Good luck with the wait.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! I don't think I could wait that long. Have you looked into going through a different dealer? I got lucky they had what the wife wanted on the show room. I could never wait that long. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!! And I agree with what has already been said. A 12 month wait is a LONG time unless that is something you have planned for other reasons. If not, it is well worth you time to call other dealers and even check out the several that are sponsors here on NAM. You might surprise yourself and find just what you want and it's already on a lot somewhere....

Donna

Old 03-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Showgirl
1st Gear
12 Months??!??

Welcome to NAM! You must have the patience of a saint to wait that long!

I have no patience at all - was going to order mine last year when I first became interested - but I couldn't even stand the 3 month wait in Nevada!

So I looked around in Autotrader.com and found my baby up in Utah, went up and brought her home the following weekend - been in love ever since.

Definitely check into other dearlerships - I visited the one in Cincinnati last summer and the lady there said it was maybe a 6-week wait, and no additional charges (which they had here in Vegas). Don't know if that's still true, but couldn't hurt to try... (was tempted to order another one just because...!)

Either way, sounds lovely! Can't wait to see the pictures when it (finally!) gets here!

Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Yup, it's true...12 month wait on the MCS. At least that's what was said some weeks ago when I put my deposit down at Northwest MINI. (It's a somewhat shorter wait for the MC.)

At that time, I didn't really think about options like flying someplace and driving the car back...or even having the car shipped. But I definitely am giving both of these some serious thought. I started checking around this afternoon actually.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. NAM rocks!

Old 03-04-2006, 11:02 PM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
Welcome anon0mus! I just "delurked" myself, and like you, am giving up a VW ('63 ragtop). I'm in Seattle and I couldn't handle the ridiculous wait (plus the markup) through NW Mini so I ordered through Mini of Murray in SLC, Utah.

I placed my order last Wednesday for a SR/S MC. I'm paying MSRP and I'm in March production which means I'll take delivery in about 10 weeks or so. I plan on flying down and breaking her in on the drive home.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome anon0mus!!! Those darn test drives can be quite a revelation, can't they?

Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
Now why would you do it that way... your going to be a Mini driver, not a sheep. There are lots of dealers that will have the car to you in 6 to 8 weeks at msrp or lower and even pay to have it delivered to you ... at your home. That is exactly what I am doing. call John at Patrickmini in Ill. he has been the best. 847.310.4346. He is great and no waiting...well the 8 weeks is all.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
mininewbie
Neutral
Lurking no more!!

Originally Posted by patgoeglein
Now why would you do it that way... your going to be a Mini driver, not a sheep. There are lots of dealers that will have the car to you in 6 to 8 weeks at msrp or lower and even pay to have it delivered to you ... at your home. That is exactly what I am doing. call John at Patrickmini in Ill. he has been the best. 847.310.4346. He is great and no waiting...well the 8 weeks is all.
So what sales tax do you get charged: Illinois or Los Angeles?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
DreadPirateTim
2nd Gear
The ex-lurkers club... Guess I need to join after 12+ months in the shadows. Now I just need to see about membership to Team Craptastic and/or the $10k upgrade club.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:28 PM
patgoeglein
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mininewbie
So what sales tax do you get charged: Illinois or Los Angeles?
I am charged the LA taxes.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:44 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
You will always pay the same sales tax as where your going to register your car, unless there are some states that work different. In that case you probably will only pay the difference to your state's tax if their is one.

12 Months?????????????????????? No waaaaaaaaaaaay! Life too short, find one somewhere else. You dealer must be lousy at sales hence no allocation of cars.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
As others suggested, I think that I've found another dealer out-of-state; a couple of them, actually!

Being that I'm not all that comfortable with delivery site-unseen (i.e., shipping), it looks like I'll be flying out and driving back...which'll be hellah cool! I'll likely be in an early-April production week, so there's still some waiting going on...but nothing like the wait @ Northwest.

As for dealer being lousy at sales and thus no allocation: is this really how allocations are determined? I can't imagine. My experience at NW has been great; I just think that there's a huge demand on the West Coast.

Anyway, I'm super excited!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There are about 10 MINI dealerships in SoCal, also. But definitely get your MINI elsewhere, rather than wait 12 months. That is a very lonnnnnng time to wait.

Welcome to NAM!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
SpikeUJ701
1st Gear
no more veedubs

Originally Posted by anon0mus
Greetings, all!

So I've decided to take the plunge and lurk no longer. Over the past several months, I've been learning a lot from you all and just taking it all in. It's been great; thanks for that!

Anyway, I thought that I would introduce myself. I put a deposit down several weeks ago just to be on a waiting list to order. At that time, I didn't even mind the 12 month wait. But as this new obsession grows for me, so, too, has my impatience. HA!

It's funny to me...I always thought that I would be a VW driver for life; that what I always said anyway. But after my demo drives in the MC and MCS some weeks back, there was no doubt that I would be making the switch.

Anyway, here's the MCS that I'm currently configured at. (It changes like 3 times a day):

BRG/W, cold weather, sport, 17" whites, LSD, rear fog, anthracite surface/headliner, OBC, MFSW, (still debating the auto AC, leather and security system--among other things)

~anon0mus

i too was a VW nut for years. i had my share of VR6 GTI's. but after the constant electrical problems and recent loss of the boxy apperance i am now the owner of a MCS. much to my wifes dismay

Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 PM
roddw
2nd Gear
As others suggested, I think that I've found another dealer out-of-state; a couple of them, actually!

Being that I'm not all that comfortable with delivery site-unseen (i.e., shipping), it looks like I'll be flying out and driving back...which'll be hellah cool! I'll likely be in an early-April production week, so there's still some waiting going on...but nothing like the wait @ Northwest.

As for dealer being lousy at sales and thus no allocation: is this really how allocations are determined? I can't imagine. My experience at NW has been great; I just think that there's a huge demand on the West Coast.

Anyway, I'm super excited!
I am in the seattle area also--I agree with your comment on nw mini--checked w/them, super nice people, but they had an 8 month wait back in october. I called Julie at Classic Mini, she got me a november production slot, and the car was delivered late december. I was planning on the fly/drive back as you are, but the weather in Ohio fouled my plans, and I ended up trucking it back.

In any event, welcome--and post pics when you can!

Old 03-19-2006, 03:47 PM
searocko
4th Gear
I'm in Tacoma as well and I too couldn't wait a year at NW so I picked up my '05 MCS from MINI of Murray in Utah last April. The weather cooperated and it turned out to be a great trip back. It just turned 17K last week and not a single problem. I've been a VW driver all my life and now that I own a MINI, I didn't realize what I've been missing with the dealer experience and reliability!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Well, I did it!!!!! I cancelled my reserved spot at Northwest MINI last week, and just this morning I official placed my order out of state!! I'm ecstatic about not having to wait until November, and super happy that I'll be getting a 2006 and not the 2007!

Thank you all for your input; I greatly appreciate it!

BTW, Jerry Halloran at MINI of the Hamptons took my order and has, thus far, been great to work with.

(Anyone looking to buy a VW? *smirk*)

Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 AM
promking
2nd Gear
Just orderred my MCS in CR wht.rf. & caps,packages 1,2,3 w/ piano blk. anthracite headliner,chrome int., chrome grill, driving lamps,17" webs, HK upgrade stereo...can you tell I'm excited? Delivery is said to be 6-8 weeks but tha't's okay I'll have my Honda S2k to keep me company until then. Btw the Honda is gone after Mini arrives.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
That's gonna be a nice ride, promking! Where did you order from? I was told 6-8 weeks, too, but with another 10 to 14 days to ship to Washington State.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:23 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Greetings, all!

At that time, I didn't even mind the 12 month wait. But as this new obsession grows for me, so, too, has my impatience. HA!
The wait in the Pacific Northwest is rediculous! Take a roadtrip to just about anywhere else in the country and you can buy off the lot. Wait only 4-5 months for a spec'ed out car. In fact, you could just call dealers and place your order over the phone and by fax. Would make for a great first trip from the dealer. Bought mine in Texas when the wait was too long here in DC.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 AM
promking
2nd Gear
That's gonna be a nice ride, promking! Where did you order from? I was told 6-8 weeks, too, but with another 10 to 14 days to ship to Washington State.
I orderred mine from Main Line Mini in Bala Cynwyd, PA (just outside of Philly)
They currently have about fifty on the lot. My salespersons name is Darron.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
promking
2nd Gear
I orderred from Main Line Mini in Bala Cynwyd, PA (just outside of Philadelphia), They have about 50 on the lot and they are looking to move some. My salespersons name is Darron. He's a bit inexperienced but very helpfull. Can you believe with all those cars on the lot I orderred one? Sounds crazy but they just didn't have the right combination for me. I don't know what your looking for but maybe you should give them a call. Good luck.

http://www.minimainline.com/

Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
promking
2nd Gear
Oops, Sorry ANONOMUS I didn't read your post that said you had orderred already. Anyway, congrats and good luck!