1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on the fence...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:26 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on the fence...

I thought I was all set, I thought I had it all planned out. I was going for the full "Park Lane" Cooper S edition setup. RG/S/S stripes, chrome, PL dash, R99 silver wheels, H/K sound. And then I saw the english leather! A PL standard! How can I feel ok with badging my car as a PL knowing those $1700 gorgeous seats are out there.... :impatient

So my PL MCS experiment is starting to cost $27+k!

So I'm back on the fence wondering if I should go with the g/b leatherette that I like, the silver dash that i like, the chrome, and the PS/B/Bstripes combo that looks so nice (my original plan) and save a bunch of cash...

I'm going crazy!!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I say go with what you want. If you have the money, ignore the price, and just see what looks best. Thats what i did and before I knew it, it was over 30k!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:01 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Keep climbing on that fence, we are all looking to get feedback on how the '07s turn out .

Old 03-21-2006, 09:01 AM
pgifford
3rd Gear
Dude, you're over-thinking this...what's a few grand over 5 or 6 years? Don't ask us what to do - build the car you want, your "no regrets" car, because you're going to have it for quite a while.

Of course, I'm the guy who dropped $35+k on his (JCW) so perhaps I'm not the best spokesman for fiscal restraint.

Paul

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
I got the entire PL setup except for the Panther Leather seats. And have no regrets.

It wasn't so much a cost issue ... but a wear and appearance issue. I had heard that the BMW/MINI leather tends to get quite baggy, quite fast ... and that the leatherette often wears better over time. The dealer agreed with this advice, even though he obviously stood to lose some money for it. And I plan on keeping my MINI for at least (I hope) five years, if not longer.

The other change from the PL setup I made was not to get the silver bonnet stripes. I am getting silver bonnet stripes in the swoop cut, but they are going to be a custom design, with matching boot stripes.

I agree with the others ... get whatever will make you the happiest. PL, no PL, or PL with modifications. Whatever will give you the biggest grin!

(Besides ... we in the US cannot get the true PL setup anyway ... in the UK, the PL has custom PL door plates and a couple of other details that are just not available to US customers.)