1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD, OBC, man you guys make me work

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
JATO
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD, OBC, man you guys make me work

This is indeed my first post. I am quite interested in a MINI Cooper automobile. It was suggested I look here to get some information so thats what I did. My current vehicle is a 93 Ford F250 diesel and a 98 Ford Windstar minivan, thus you may understand my desire to drive something "different" I think the MINI gets to "different" quicker then anything else and I haven't even test drove one and still await the brochure in the mail. I really enjoy the MINI Cooper website. I dabbled with the "build your own" and was bewildered by the options so this is where I ended up. I saw more abbreviations that had me guessing what they meant then the search engine could handle. I saw that everyone seemed to be into LSD which got me to thinking I must be different because drugs don't really interest me unless they are liquid and in a glass. So I now understand what LSD is and OBC, but have yet to know this, my virgin question, can a child sit in the front passenger seat and not have the airbag finish him/her off when deployed. From what I gather, the rear seats are nothing more then storage although my 4 year old can easily crawl into places my head won't fit. This is perhaps about the last straw in a make or break decision for me. If the answer is no, this may well be my first and last post, if yes, (you can have a child sit up front in the passenger seat safely) then expect more ad nauseum posts. Great website, a lot of terrific folks here, and a refreshing break from the sites I regularly visit. From run flats to LSD, I have already learned a bunch... Thanks a ton, RaT

Old 03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2006 MINI has a sensor in the passenger seat that detects the weight of the passenger. If the passenger is too light it shuts off the airbag. Go to the dealer & read the owners manual so you'll understand how the system really works. I hope you can get your MINI. It's late, but I'll give mine a read tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
dimini
6th Gear
My first post, too

My leased '03 MCS does not have the option to turn off the front passenger airbag.

However, I do use the back seat for transporting children ages 2yrs through 7 using either car seats or booster seats. Actually, kids love entering through the hatchback and climb through the opening via a folded-forward seatback (Mini's have split rear seat backs that fold forward quickly/easily while standing outside the rear hatchback.) Close the hatch, climb in, reach around and buckle up the child and close the seatback and you're ready to go. Can't beat having a "special" door that kids love to use. Also, can't beat the ergonomics of a Mini hatchback.

My lease is up this August. I am definately replacing the '03 with an '06! I've owned better vehicles than the Mini... but none were fun enough to replace with the same model.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we motor as a family, my 14 year-old daughter sits in the back seat. She is not small. So the back seat is more than just storage space.
Really, you need to go on a test drive to see for yourself.
And welcome to NAM. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
My 14 yo son, who is about 5'11" and my 9yo daughter who is about 4' tall both ride in the back very comfortably. We had a cabrio for a loaner once, and it was a bit less roomy in the back, but still worked.
I don't know about California, but here in Georgia it's illegal to have a child under the age of 12 in the front seat of any vehicle that has a back seat.
Good luck with your decision, sounds like you're ready for a big change!!
Annette

Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Yes, you can fit a child into the back seat. Hubby is 6'5", I'm 5'10, daughter is 6'0" and her bf 6'1". We all fit. Hubby and me in front and the two teens in the back. Granted it wasn't like a first class seat, but they didn't have their knees under their chins either.

Test drive one. You won't believe it until you do.

SkateMom

Old 03-23-2006, 02:26 AM
JATO
2nd Gear
Your quick responses have made my day and good point about the law and a child in the front seat when it has a rear seat. My information about the rear seat being storage was based on an old fellow telling me it the other day at the grocery store. It was night time and he caught me looking at his car. He mentioned how much he enjoyed his liquid yellow 03 MINI, but the back seat was no good for passengers. Perhaps when your 70, its just harder all the way around to get into most places and thus his reason for saying so. Thanks again for the information. I look forward to checking one out soon.
My list so far:
1. MINI S
2. DSC
3. LSD
4. Arm rest (for wife)

Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I read a bit in my owners manual. MINI says not to put a child under 13 years of age in the front passenger seat. As far as the rear goes Mrs Crashton has ridden back there & had no complaints. Shouldn't be any problem for the kids then.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I use the back seat all the time for adult passengers...no problem...especially for normal trips around town. In fact I've ridden back there myself and it is deceptively adequate....you'd never believe it from looking at the outside!! Never underestimate a MINI!!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Here is a link to a PDF that contains a 2005 owners manual PDF

http://motoringfile.com/2004/10/27/2..._pdf_released/

It is from motoringfile.com another good informative website for the MINI.

www.motoringfile.com

Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
draggonmann
5th Gear
From a former big truck driver ( F350 4DR 4WD Duelley ) it is a big change,but I wouldn't change it. I love driving my MINI and I have a 16 & 17 yearold kid ride in back with no complaints.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
lexlow
Banned
My first trip on a Mini was ridding in the back seat.
Am 6 ft, and at that moment the shortest of the 4 persons riding in the car.
I think there is plenty of room for a childseat.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
My PW/B MC is on the boat and I should take delivery around the end of April according to MINI. I have always driven a truck and never had a car myself so this is definately a big change for me too. I am trading my 2004 Ranger 4x4 for my 2006 MC and cant wait! I am sure that I will end up with a truck again sometime or another as a second vehicle for me and my wife to be has an SUV so we are set for now! Good luck with your decision making and get your order in fast if you still want an 06...for all I know it may be too late but I would check with your closest dealer for that information!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Our family is fairly tall, 5'9" to 6'2", and we have taken all four of us for drives around the town. I had a 30'ish friend in the back for a 2 hour trip to Lime Rock Park and back with no complaints.

The biggest obstacle to having kids in car seats in the rear is that it is only a 2-door and access to the back is difficult. Not just a problem with a MINI but any 2-door. Bring the car seat to the dealer and try it during your test drive.

I to came to the MINI from 20 years driving an F-150 pick-up. Best change I ever made. Wouldn't go back for anything. Having way to much fun now.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JATO
Your quick responses have made my day and good point about the law and a child in the front seat when it has a rear seat. My information about the rear seat being storage was based on an old fellow telling me it the other day at the grocery store. It was night time and he caught me looking at his car. He mentioned how much he enjoyed his liquid yellow 03 MINI, but the back seat was no good for passengers. Perhaps when your 70, its just harder all the way around to get into most places and thus his reason for saying so. Thanks again for the information. I look forward to checking one out soon.
My list so far:
1. MINI S
2. DSC
3. LSD
4. Arm rest (for wife)

Great start! Color is a big one, it says alot about the MINI driver
Premium and Convenience Packages seem to be pretty popular.
Time to start with the fun decisions.
Annette

Old 03-24-2006, 04:01 PM
JATO
2nd Gear
Annette, your right, I find myself using the MINI USA site to make many configurations including color a bunch. I really like the Royal Grey which has more brown in it on the manufactuer website then the pictures I see of it here. I like the Space Blue as well. At some point I will drive the 30 miles to my dealer and check the small inventory out.

I have a couple of questions that I am sure has been addressed here before.

1. Do many folks go for anything but the manual transmission? I personally would think much of the thrill in having this car would be a manual transmission coupled to a small displacement engine would be diminished coupled to a automatic.

2. Is there a known date when you can no longer order the 2006 model? Many company's already have the 2007's out. I think this is one instance where I would rather stay with the older model, after all, it is the reason I am as enthusiastic about the MINI. While the new model supposedly has a new "better" engine coming from Peugot, I am not so sure I am ready to be a guinea pig just yet. How do folks here think about the MINI engine. OK, great, mediocre?

Old 03-24-2006, 06:34 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I hope to someday be able to see first hand four 6-footers fit "comfortably" in a MINI. I just can't believe they're very comfortable. I'm 6'7, my seatback is touching the back seat, and I'm comfortable, but I've had 5'7 friends who could fit where either the front passenger was comfortable OR the rear passenger was comfortable, never both. Maybe four 6 footers can fit nicely if their height is more in the torso than the legs, I don't know. It just boggles my mind because I can see that there's no way I could fit a 6 footer in front and a 6 footer in back without one of them being in pain.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Great start! Color is a big one, it says alot about the MINI driver
Huh? Why is that. All MINIs are RED. All the rest are just mistakes