1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shaving that price down...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaving that price down...

I'm thinking about dropping the Premium package.

I'm still keeping the sunroof and multi-function steering/cruise

I don't care about auto a/c, as long as there is a/c. In a tiny little car like that, who needs an auto temp system? I always found it annoying even in my parents' cadillac

Anyway, I also then lose the "computer" with trip odo, fuel, etc. Is thing all that special? $200 special? There's a trip odo anyway, right?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The manual a/c is just fine, o-ron, my first Cooper had it.

But I particularly love setting the temp and just letting the auto a/c maintain my perfect temp of 68!

The computer is used by many to get a more accurate reading on the actual speed you are driving, since the speedo is a bit off (overstates the speed). Of course, now I use my after-market Garmin Nav system to get the most accurate reading of mph.

The sunroof is awesome...you definitely want that, and the multi-function steering wheel is really useful.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Z-Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
I'm thinking about dropping the Premium package.

I'm still keeping the sunroof and multi-function steering/cruise

I don't care about auto a/c, as long as there is a/c. In a tiny little car like that, who needs an auto temp system? I always found it annoying even in my parents' cadillac

Anyway, I also then lose the "computer" with trip odo, fuel, etc. Is thing all that special? $200 special? There's a trip odo anyway, right?
I was a similar situation back a couple of weeks when I was preparing to order my MCS. I had a price in mind that I wanted to stick to and found myself shaving a few dollars off at the end to meet that price.

I ended up pulling the sunroof and the Auto AC at the last minute. I was a bit undecided on the sunroof anyway and during my latest test drive I found that the light from the front oedge of the sunroof in my peripheral vision and was a bit distracting. AutoAC wasn't a tough decision to pull.

OBC, I ended up keeping. I'm kind of a gadget guy so it stayed on the list . Yes there is still a Trip function.

Regards-
Randy

Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 PM
-Jonathan-
3rd Gear
I agree with MINIclo. The sunroof IS awesome! It's one of MINI's rare features. I don't know of any other car that has a sunroof that is almost the entire length of the roof. *cheers*

Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Of course, now I use my after-market Garmin Nav system to get the most accurate reading of mph.
Where do you put your Garmin? I've been wrestling with this a bit. I thought about suction-cupping it right in the middle of that big ol' speedo but that's a rather...inelegant solution.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
bravo75
1st Gear
yeah...the sunroof is a nice thing...but it adds wieght to the car...so if you are concerned about weight which some of the guys are here...then it is something to think about. I have a pw/b jcw with the premium package,etc., etc. and it was a novelty for a while but now I wonder if I've lost some rigidity due to the sunroof besides the additional wieght.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you still have the digital speedometer on the tach if you eliminate the OBC? Because I find that readout invaluable but I don't use any other functions of the OBC except thermometer occasionally.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:16 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Squirlz
Do you still have the digital speedometer on the tach if you eliminate the OBC? Because I find that readout invaluable but I don't use any other functions of the OBC except thermometer occasionally.
I second this question

??

Old 03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by pgifford
Where do you put your Garmin? I've been wrestling with this a bit. I thought about suction-cupping it right in the middle of that big ol' speedo but that's a rather...inelegant solution.

Thanks,

Paul
I bought a RAM suction cup and have the Garmin on the dash, as far to the left as possible. Doesn't obstruct my view, and I think its signal is better being close to the windshield.

As for the comments about the sunroof: my first MINI didn't have one, but I decided to get one for my Wicked Wanda, and it's one of my favorite MINI options! I have a silver metallic Union Jack sunroof flag decal on it, too!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
I bought a RAM suction cup and have the Garmin on the dash, as far to the left as possible. Doesn't obstruct my view, and I think its signal is better being close to the windshield.
I'm sorry, I'm just not picturing this...what are you sticking the suction cup to? What kind of dash do you have? Mine's too bumpy for anything to stick to. How did you run power to it all the way on the left?

Thanks...

Paul

Old 03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Without the OBC you still have the digital speedo and the Temp gauge.
If you are keeping the Roof and the MFSW O-ron you have basically paid for the premium package so where is the real saving?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:40 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by pgifford
I'm sorry, I'm just not picturing this...what are you sticking the suction cup to? What kind of dash do you have? Mine's too bumpy for anything to stick to. How did you run power to it all the way on the left?

Thanks...

Paul
The Ram cup is attached to the lower left portion of the windshield, and has an arm that holds the Garmin, which I get as close to the dash as possible. I also put the beanbag holder that came with the Garmin underneath it, to have the most stable position (less wiggling). The Garmin's power cord goes into the cigarette lighter, and the cord goes from there, up behind the steering wheel, and into the Garmin. I'll take a picture one of these days...

Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
pgifford
3rd Gear
The Ram cup is attached to the lower left portion of the windshield, and has an arm that holds the Garmin, which I get as close to the dash as possible. I also put the beanbag holder that came with the Garmin underneath it, to have the most stable position (less wiggling). The Garmin's power cord goes into the cigarette lighter, and the cord goes from there, up behind the steering wheel, and into the Garmin. I'll take a picture one of these days...
Ah, I get it. Thanks. Funnily enough, just today I stuck my little i3 in the same place. I ran my cord under the dash and up by the door, outside of the dash. I'll get a couple of little clippies to hold the wire out of sight (it is now but it's not terribly secure), yet allow me to remove the wire when we put the unit in wifey's car.

Paul

Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rastven
Without the OBC you still have the digital speedo and the Temp gauge.
If you are keeping the Roof and the MFSW O-ron you have basically paid for the premium package so where is the real saving?
sunroof: 850
cruise/wheel: 250
total: 1100

premium package: 1400

savings: 300

Digital speedo and temp gauge are all I need! Avg fuel used is nice, maybe, but totally unecessary.

Thanks!

btw, now that we're talking about this i seem to remember the dearl telling me that the digital speedo used to an option, but came standard for '05 or '06.. or something like that...

Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smart move buying the sunroof. Down the line, it'll help resale.

70% to 80% of all Minis sold in the U.S. are sunroofed. Source: MiniUSA

Old 03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
the sunroof is one of my "must haves"

Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you keep your options and offer him 1200 less on the purchase price.