1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service in areas with no dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 PM
jboughter
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service in areas with no dealer

Hi,

I'm new to this group and have wanted an MCS for since they first came out. However there is no dealer here in Colorado Springs. I'm wondering what folks are doing about servicing the car. Are they driving to Denver for oil changes etc? That might be ok for oil changes but what about something more serious or if they suggest something else to be done while I have it in for an oil change but can't fit it in that day or it takes more than one day? Thanks for any info.

Jim Boughter

Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 PM
domc
3rd Gear
Don't own one yet but my wife was wondering the same thing. I think you can bring it to any BMW dealership, no? I'd like to know also.

By the way, I live north of Denver and the only dealer I can find is in Littleton, CO.

http://www.ralphschompmini.com/

Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Z-Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by domc
Don't own one yet but my wife was wondering the same thing. I think you can bring it to any BMW dealership, no? I'd like to know also.

By the way, I live north of Denver and the only dealer I can find is in Littleton, CO.

http://www.ralphschompmini.com/
In the simpliest of terms, once you own it, you can have it serviced anywhere you want. If you a talking scheduled maintenance service or warranty service then it will have to be done through an authorized MINI service centers. Not all BMW dealerships are authorized MINI service centers. In most cases this will mean that a drive is required to have your oil changed under the included maintenance program and scheduled service intervals and any warranty work. The good news is that these aren't all that frequent... 10k for oil changes (because it's synthetic) and scheduled service is a similar schedule.

There is also a good roadside assistance program that comes with the vehicle that in most serious issues covers flat bedding the car to the dealer.

I live 3 hours and 30 minutes from my closest dealer and although I had similar concerns going in, I decided that all things considered I was willing to take the risk.

Best Regards-
Randy

Old 03-25-2006, 03:38 PM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Z-Mini
I live 3 hours and 30 minutes from my closest dealer and although I had similar concerns going in, I decided that all things considered I was willing to take the risk.

Best Regards-
Randy
I live an hour away from my Mini dealer. And every time I've gone there, I had to return because of something the service dept. screwed up.

When I drove the car home for the first time, I noticed a pull to the left. I checked the tire pressure and all the tires had different pressures...highest being 38 and lowest being 30psi. Even after I straightened that out, the car still pulled to the left....it needed an alignment. When I got home from the alignment, I noticed that my black roof looked like it had been dried (after the complimentary wash) with a coarse paper towel......scratched all to hell.

They are great at making good for all of their mistakes. BUT, I have to keep driving down there. The risk to me is letting THEM work on it.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:51 PM
domc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jdjeff58
They are great at making good for all of their mistakes. BUT, I have to keep driving down there. The risk to me is letting THEM work on it.
Not to mention the cost of fuel to get there.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Rumor has it if you are in excess of 100 miles from the nearest MINI dealer you are allowed to have the warranty work done at a BMW dealer. I'm 70miles from the nearest and I have the issue where the risk is letting them work on the car, so I go 100 miles for my oil changes until the service period is over. My local BMW dealer (3 miles away) refuses to touch the car, even for a tire rotation (so I just do it myself and never mention it to the dealer cause the tech seem 50/50 on wether or not it should be done.