1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible window problems for 06 Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
RMMINICOOPER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible window problems for 06 Mini?

Hi all!

Last night coming home, we noticed that our 2006 Mini Cooper's windows were slightly open. I swear that I never touch the windows since it was raining heavy upon parking the vehicle. So I thought I probably pressed something which made the window open. Now, when me and my wife were parking the car in the garage, I noticed that the window was open again and I asked my wife if she touch the window switch and she said she did not, it seems that the window seem to have a life of its own since it seems to open by itself. Any thoughts?

Old 03-25-2006, 05:07 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My guess would be that when you open the doors, the windows are supposed to open slightly, then close after you close the door. Sounds like they are not doing the second half of the process.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:08 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has happened to me a few times. I think I'm just hitting the unlock switch too much which ultimately activates the roll down option for a split second.

It hasn't done it since I've been extra cautious about how I press the remote button.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
RMMINICOOPER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dickdavid
This has happened to me a few times. I think I'm just hitting the unlock switch too much which ultimately activates the roll down option for a split second.

It hasn't done it since I've been extra cautious about how I press the remote button.

hmm, thats what I keep telling myself. Hopefully this is the issue, I will try to observe if this thing happens again. I will probably drop by the dealership if this thing happens again. I also have a bmw but I guess they do have major differences in terms of the automatic roll down.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:00 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
You actually have to hold the unlock down to get the convenience open feature to work. Are you holding the button or just pressing it?
Is it coming down lower than the quarter inch the window normally lowers to open the door?

Old 03-26-2006, 01:57 AM
hexproject
3rd Gear
i just got my car about 2 weeks ago. 06.. that happened to me.. i was thinking about if there was a mal function. i also have a BMW, but the BMW never did this. anyways. i will see in the next couple of weeks to see if it still happens....

Old 03-26-2006, 04:27 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daemon2
You actually have to hold the unlock down to get the convenience open feature to work. Are you holding the button or just pressing it?
Is it coming down lower than the quarter inch the window normally lowers to open the door?
That's the way it worked on my 04 and typically on my 06, but for some reason the 06 is hyper sensitive. I've been in the habit to push the button several times, because my 04 would never unlock on the second push. It just never received the signal. When I do the same on my 06, it must read that as the convenience open feature, if even for a second, and drops the window about an inch to inch and a half.

Again, now that I'm cautious about pushing the unlock button, it's stopped.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:16 AM
YYC
4th Gear
My '05 does the same thing very intermittently, so it is not an '06 issue. I don't think it is due to holding the unlock switch, but it happens so rarely, you never know. Both windows are down just a fraction, suggesting they didn't return to fully closed. Not open an inch or 1/2 inch....just a few millimeters!

Old 03-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my 06 on a couple of occasions. There really seems to be no cause that I can put my finger on. Guess I'll keep an eye on it & see if it needs to go to the shop for a fix.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:26 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
I have not noticed this problem on my 06' but I will watch for it now.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:29 PM
RMMINICOOPER
2nd Gear
hmmm, thanks for the input family. So far so good for today. Hopefully the keys are just sensitive, I happened to dropped my set (keys) twice already as well as my keys sometimes is in my pocket so hopefully it does not get pressed at all. I am just concerned about this happening when my car is park in the train parking spot and the window left open.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 AM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
This has happened to me in my '06, and I can vouch for the fact that it's a result of pressing the unlock button on the remote too many times. I usually press it non-stop getting to the car with a passenger to make sure that the passenger's door unlocks. If you do that, though, it could activate the remote window function...I was wondering the same thing until it happened while I was close to the vehicle...

Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Well, I ran a test this morning. I hit my remote, unlock button several times and sure enough, after the second door unlocked, the windows rolled down about 2 inches.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
RMMINICOOPER
2nd Gear
had the same issue again

oh well. I did noticed the sensitivity of the unlock button. But now, it looks like everytime I put the window down and pull it right up back, it looks like the window has its own mind when you close the door. But through experimenting (which I should never have to do) is that the window is so darn sensitive that if you put the window down and then you pull it back up somehow when you close the door, the window will not close entirely. I did this test 8 x and a row and 5 of those test failed. Arrgh.