1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another hoping to soon be an owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 AM
redrocket
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another hoping to soon be an owner

i have a couple of Q's for you all. im hoping to find myself in a MCS soon, but there are a few things drawing me back. im looking at a used 2003 MCS. its got incredibly low miles, but its an early 03 car and was bought in early 03, so it has about 3/4 of a year of warranty left. so basically do you think this will be a prob, like have any of you found your cars are in the shop a fair amount for warranty work? becuase if thats the case then id maybe consider looking at 04's with a year plus of warranty.

another concern i have is with the moon roof. im not much of a moonroff guy (kind of tall and dont like the added weight and heightened center of gravity) but most of the oens in my region that are in good shape and in good colors (i.e. not bust me red, or yellow, but lower key gray or roayl blue) have the sunroof and i may have to settle for it. in short has this sunroof casued many problems. like ive heard of panaramics cracking understress, or seals failing and then your car flooding, is this a major issue in the MCS? plus is there some sort of cover for the moonroof (becuase in the hot florida sun those screen things arent nearly enough protection)?

finally, do you think color will affect my insurance. forexample ive found a bust me red MCS in my area thats in great shape and optioned how i want it (no moon roof or auto a/c) and its an 2004. although id really rather not have hte color due to the fact is calls attention if you guys have heard horror stories with the moonroof and think the added year inw arranty would be worth it then id consider the car so long as it doesnt really affect the insurance based off of the color.

i know im asking a lot, but ive been a huge MCS fan since i first saw one and id really like to be able to own one so thanks to anyone who knows the answers to my questions

Old 03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Color should not affect insurance at all. I personally opted not to have a sunroof, so no personal experience with it. Congrats on finding the right MINI for you.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 PM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
I personally have never shopped for a used mini. But from what I've been reading in this forum, the used ones are being priced out very close to what a new one costs. With that in mind, you may find yourself in a new mini, the way you want it, with a 3 yr warranty from a mini dealer...and have tons more peace of mind for just a couple of g's more. It's worth looking into....in my opinion of course.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
jdj, i thought of that too, but im on a very tight budget, so at the price im at im really really at my MAX, anyways i like the look of the pre facelift better its very subtle differences, but the pre facelifts just seem too be a bit more appealing in my eyes.
well to the point, the bust me red one seems to be the one i am hopefully going to get, im happy for no S/R. i havent actually goen too look at it yet, my dad said it was the best of all the ones that we have looked at (i went with him for all but one of the many i saw). im hoping to get it friday, ill try and post pics, but my digi cam is pretty screwed up and it may have to wait until i can get the cash together for a enw cam that will upload the pics onto my comp.
amazingly the car adds little to my insurance, i mean its more expensive than my current car, but very negligibly.
but im very syched for friday right now, but kind of at the same time sad as i have to get rid of my current car which has served me well (its an 03 accord, from my experience i strongly recommend it if your lookign for a family sedan, sadly for that car i have no need for a car of its size [no fam i.e. kids {im still in HS}, and i want a car that has room for less people, having other people int he car ruins the driving experience for me] and i want soemthing thats a bit more fun to drive and stick shift), and i wish i had the room and cash to keep it along with the MCS, but sadly i barely have the cash for the MCS (hell if not for the fact i essentially got the accord free as a will car, id be puttering around in some old cavalier prob right now)
well ill keep you all updated and im happy i am probably actually going to be able to be part of the mini family

Old 03-30-2006, 02:11 AM
jdjeff58
3rd Gear
I hear ya....If I remember correctly, high school doesn't pay that well. Keep us posted.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:17 AM
SweetTea
2nd Gear
Have not heard of issues with the panaromic moonroof.

But I am relatively new around here.

That being said, there are a few (relatively inexpensive) ways you can address the panaromic moonroof issue in the strong Florida sun: 1) ultra dark window tint applied to the inside of the panaromic moonroof glass; 2) "white out" or "black out" roof graphics, such as the 5th and 6th ones on this page: AesthetiCreations

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2006, 04:36 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Hey! Good luck getting a MCS, from one teen guy to another. It's an amazing car, and I'm STILL waiting to get mine.

1. Get the sunroof. The MINIs sunroof is much, much better than most, trust me.

2. My current car is red, my last car was white. As far as I know, the color change didnt affect the insurance costs. Also, back when I almost bought a MCS last year, we checked out insurance costs and I remember it being fairly cheap to insure.

Again, good luck

Old 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -V-

... do you think color will affect my insurance. forexample ive found a bust me red MCS in my area thats in great shape and optioned how i want it (no moon roof or auto a/c) and its an 2004.
No but the red ones are quicker

Old 03-31-2006, 02:26 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
well i got it today and its sweet, im so f*&$in excited, though i do feel kind of spoiled having a car of this caliber in high school.
well, as to the details its bust me red with little to no options, it basically only has the 17's, and steering wheel audio controls, and fogs.
well right now im stoked and going to go drive it, but thanks for all the help, and im glad to be part of the cooper fam