1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 18 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tubwreck
Hey AMW, if you have an automatic transmission, then what you describe is normal (oil pressure increases with engine speed). Also, if you are running your AC when it is humid, like it has been, a puddle of water under the car is also normal (it is condensation on the evaporator, which drains out under the car).

Finally, the dying-in-flight problem is not normal, of course. Probably a software bug which required a reboot, which you did. Hopefully, the computer stored the fault codes.
Well that makes me feel better. I was running the auto-AC and I do have an automatic transmission. I still want them to go over the car. Hopefully it's a software problem then.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
FWIW, if your car started right up after it died, I would go ahead and take it to NY for the weekend. Worst case, you get to make use of MINI roadside assistance for a tow. But chances are, if it happens again, it will start right up again too. If the SES light isn't on, then you're unlikely to be causing your car any harm.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 AM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sfgrunge
You guys are crazy over here in week 18. I have loved reading this thread. Especially when the CL was cruising through the Panama Canal. I sent my MA the link to the animated gif and she was ROFL. And my co-workers thought I was obsessed. You made me look tame in comparison.
Hey, what are you trying to say? I'm not obsessed, I'm just passionate. Really, really, really, really passionate.

OK, so yeah, I sat there for an hour and watched my computer screen update every 20 seconds watching a boat inch its way through the canal. And, yes, I updated the AIS site about every 20-30 minutes to capture when the CL showed up at the canal and in SoCal. And, yes, I just showed up at the dealer yesterday uninvited and asked to see my car. And, yes, I'm giddy about picking her up in just a few hours. But obsessed? Naaaah.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
hmmmm, that sounds familiar....

Old 06-02-2006, 07:33 AM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AMW
I don't want to put a damper on things, but I've had pretty much nothing but problems with mine so far.
The happy-new-car-feeling wears off pretty quickly, eh? Well, I'll say this for cars that I've loved owning in the past. Maintenance -- so long as it can be addressed adequately -- has always just seemed like no big deal even if it comes up more frequently than I'd like. For cars that I've only been lukewarm on, maintenance has always seemed like an extreme hassle no matter how infrequently it happens.

Here's hoping things work out quickly and your back on your way relatively trouble free!!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:37 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tubwreck
FWIW, if your car started right up after it died, I would go ahead and take it to NY for the weekend. Worst case, you get to make use of MINI roadside assistance for a tow. But chances are, if it happens again, it will start right up again too. If the SES light isn't on, then you're unlikely to be causing your car any harm.
hmmm...it did start right up and none of the lights came back on. But the oil pressure stayed around 0. I was thinking that wasn't ok, so called for the tow. I'll check in with the dealership this afternoon, and if they think it's ok, then I'll go to NY. I still want them to check all the fliuds levels for me though. I'm not so into being towed to NY .

Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
And yes, definately no holes in the front bumper
I was really conflicted on this one. I'd greatly prefer not to have the front license plate, but it is the law here in CA. My Audi A6 didn't have the front plates and was never a problem, but the strange thing about being a parent is that you do things you wouldn't normally do just 'cuz you know that little eyes are on you all the time.

The funny thing about it is that every time the dealership would bring it up, they always phrased it, "So, you want the front license plate brackets installed..." and I would always respond, "No, I don't want them installed, but it is the law."

Ah well, it will still look great!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
Your car looks great AndyWSea. I wish I could see mine. All of my dealers inventory is indoors. I talked with my MA late last night and he said he'd try and get a pic or two off to me. The bummer is I can't pick it up until Thursday . Two full weeks at the dealer. I may camp out in their parking lot Wednesday night....

And sfodoug I agree with you. "I'm not obsessed, I'm just passionate. Really, really, really, really passionate". Though I think you left a couple of pages of 'really's off.

AMW: I hope all is well with your baby. I am with you, if the oil pressure sits at zero to long, that's not good.

And to everyone, Thanks for helping keep me out of therapy

Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sfodoug
"No, I don't want them installed, but it is the law."
I am putting mine on with tiewraps until I get the custom plate mount.

My oldest son visited me this last weekend and got a ticket for no front plate. Generally if they want to pull you over to check you out, they will look for the easy things to do it. No plate, burned out light, etc.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
Well, I told the dealership what Tubwreck said, and that was a serious help since it bumped me up in the process. I think sussing out a software problem is a lot less time consuming/stressful on their end than sussing out a potential coolant leak. So my car's getting looked over right now vs. the Monday tinkering they told me this morning. We'll see what the prognosis is this evening when I swing by the dealership on the way home.

About the front plate thing...it's the law here in Massachusetts as well. I figured that sooner or later, I was going to have to put the plates on. So I had them put on at the dealership. It doesn't look great, but...I had to do it. A lot of folks drive without a front plate. I just don't want to give our fine men and women in blue one more reason to pull me over or cite me for a violation.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cnreng
Generally if they want to pull you over to check you out, they will look for the easy things to do it. No plate, burned out light, etc.
Like my backing thru the corner wouldn't be reason enough

Ya our boys & girls in blue have enough other things on their plate. That uniform tends to be a target for all sorts of unpleasant happenings.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 AM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
The time is drawing near!

I pick up my baby at 10:30 am PDT. Whee! Just over an hour.

tick, tick, tick, tick.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear

tick, tick, tick, tick.
72 minutes...

Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Minitee
4th Gear
I live in a front-plate state too, and already spoke to my MA about not drilling any holes in the bumper.

I plan on using the GoMiniGo bracket which doesn't require holes:

Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Minitee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
72 minutes...
51 minutes... you can make it Doug!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
I'm doing my best to breath slow for sfodoug

Old 06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minitee
51 minutes... you can make it Doug!
T minus 30 and counting

Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Just cleaned out my trade-in beater ... made sure I have everything I need ... twice ... checked the camera ... about to call and get drink orders, and then I'm outta here!

The wife has had several chuckles at my expense, but that's OK, I can take it.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
The wife has had several chuckles at my expense, but that's OK, I can take it.
Your not alone....

Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 AM
mininini
2nd Gear
Congrats AndyWSea! Looks great!

7 more days for me...

Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Minitee
4th Gear
I had a last minute "oops" on my car in that I forgot to remove my custom license plate frame until the very last minute.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:38 AM
mininini
2nd Gear

tick, tick, tick, tick.
Wow...you must be hyperventilating right now....this is so exciting!

Remember to post the fotos please so we can all drool over your MINI!

Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Ok, I just cant go to NW MINI again on Saturday again...or can I....

Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
sfgrunge
2nd Gear
Hey, what are you trying to say? I'm not obsessed, I'm just passionate. Really, really, really, really passionate.

OK, so yeah, I sat there for an hour and watched my computer screen update every 20 seconds watching a boat inch its way through the canal. And, yes, I updated the AIS site about every 20-30 minutes to capture when the CL showed up at the canal and in SoCal. And, yes, I just showed up at the dealer yesterday uninvited and asked to see my car. And, yes, I'm giddy about picking her up in just a few hours. But obsessed? Naaaah.
HA HA HA. Like I said I would not change a single thing. I love it. See now I have to admit something.... A month ago another NAM member that I know was trying to track his ship (also another NYK line ship) and someone posted the Panama Canal website and I started thinking about how to capture that webcam feed. Also thinking about when my ship would be going through in May. SOOOOooooo you have helped me HIDE my obsession somewhat since you got to it first.

Ok. One more disclosure.... Every year since the re-introduction I have gone to the SF Auto show at Moscone and have spent hours each time in the MINI booth. So much so, that one year, one of the girls at the information counter gave me this odd look and asked me how many times I had been to the booth that day, since I would go look at the other cars and then come back. We talked for a little while and I asked her tons of questions. She asked me if I had ever driven one and I told her that I would not allow myself anywhere near a MINI dealership since I knew that I could not resist ordering one on the spot. But when I read that they were changing the '07, I knew that I had waited (or suffered) long enough and it was time to order one. Plus I knew that back in the day, I would not have been able to wait a year to get my car ordered.

I also think that MINI has a secret test that can gauge your "passion" and if it does not meet the standards, then they don't let you buy one.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Rondon
1st Gear
Andy congratulations what a beauty. We are still hoping for the 5th. AMW sorry to here about your problems. Hang in there I am sure everything will be ok. Has to be frustrating after waiting so long.

Quick Reply: Production Week 18 Support Group