1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 18 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another (minor) milestone today... put on my new plates from the department of licensing. No more temp permit on the back.

Still haven't decided on a personalized plate yet.

Oh, and also? 4th Gear.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Yeah, I have had my plates on for about a week now Doesnt seem new anymore does it? I got the gominigo bracket for the front plate and I am impressed with how it looks.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AndyWSea
Yeah, I have had my plates on for about a week now Doesnt seem new anymore does it? I got the gominigo bracket for the front plate and I am impressed with how it looks.
Same here... a colleague described it as "very European" which is apt. I still think its over-priced, but since we both paid for it I guess he knows what he's doing.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:10 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
After I got it I also thought it was overpriced. I went to home depot to try to put something together, But i am not that handy...

Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Holy Crap!!!!

Seriously and literaly. Crap. Bird crap. A ton of it. RIGHT. ON. MY. BONNET! I would venture to say there were at least 100 spots. Little bastards. Needless to say His Royal Highness had a bath tonight.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Good idea on the bath... bird poop can eat paint if you leave it on there. Another advantage of having a good wax layer down too.

I had an interesting conversation about my MINI the other day. I was driving down I-90 and I notice this biker (Harley, black leathers, lots of body art, etc, etc) is pacing me and really looking at me (he's right by my drivers door). I look at him and he makes the "roll down the window" motion, so I do. He asked me how I liked the car, whether it was fast as they say, and such. Said he was looking to buy one. This all happened out the window at about 65MPH. I've never had this sort of attention on a car before, that's for sure.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:07 PM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Awesome story, Minitee!

Andy, sorry to hear about your encounter with the poop platoon. Stupid buggers. They really need to come up with bird countermeasures. You know, something that triangulates the origin of the poop, tracks the bird, and launches the appropriate surface to air projectile. Anyway, thank goodness for that Zaino! Hope you reapplied.

A few MINI milestones for me to report. I, too, received my plates and put them on yesterday. Kinda sad, really. It's now "just" a MINI and no longer a new MINI. Also, got my MINI swag bag (box, really) in the mail today; roadside assistance card, highway bingo, stickers, and other random swag. Really, it's kinda fun. And, lastly, crossed 1600 miles pulling up my street this afternoon and she is still sparkling like the day she came home.

Motor on!

Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
i got my welcome kit today too!!

I also ordered some stealth bulbs for the front and side signals (yellow drives me nuts), a glovebox organizer, and (blasphemy, I know, but we are starbucks addicts, and rather then have my other half spill his mocha everywhere) a second cup holder.

Leaving this friday on our 2 week roadtrip!!! San Francisco, LA, Phoenix and Vegas baby!

Oh, and I can't remember if anyone else got the NAV, but I figured out how to turn on the 3-D Perspective view. Looks pretty cool and a bit updated.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
I just received my swag box today too! Great fun. I also passed 2000 miles today.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Milestones today:
3006 funfilled miles since May 24th.
$45 to fill up today (and still had an 1/8th in the tank!)
SWAG arrived - are the sun tattoos only for ragtop owners?

Having tons o' fun!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Rondon
1st Gear
You guys are pissing me off with all the miles driven. We only have 408. Donna had major back surgery on the 3rd. Poor thing she won't be able to drive her new car at all for at least a month. The only miles I put on it are trips to the store and back. What's in the goodie box? Funny story, I placed some stop blocks on the floor of the garage to make sure we were clear of the door. Painted them yellow. Next morning when I backed out one of them stuck to the tire and got caught between the finder and the tire. Good thing they are rubber. No damage just hard to get out. I did have to replace the front spoiler under the bumper. Neither one of us know how it got damaged. Could have been one of those parking lot phantom hits. To my surprise it only cost $30.00. Got familar with the under side of the engine. On the 06 the fan cover for the power steering is all the way up front behind the lower spoiler. Make sure you do not pick up any paper on the bumper.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Rondon...just think how good you'll feel when our cars are old and decrepit and your's is that much newer!
They'll be plenty of time to rack up the miles. Hope Donna is feelign fit soon!

Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Rondon
1st Gear
Thanks. It's going to be a long haul. Now I have to think up another excuse to go to the store.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
She probably would like some Ice Cream. Or maybe something from Starbucks. Or how about a new book? Some flowers?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
AMW
2nd Gear
Passed 2000 miles this weekend and still happy as a clam!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
I just passed 2800 today, and converted a californian friend to think about a MINI as her next car!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 AM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AMW
Passed 2000 miles this weekend and still happy as a clam!
Hey that's great! Glad those early teething problems came to nothing. I'm loving my car.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM
AMW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tubwreck
Hey that's great! Glad those early teething problems came to nothing. I'm loving my car.
Yeah, the first week or two was not very smooth, but I've had no problem since then (knock on wood).

Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
My car is still doing great! Had a bird desecrate the hood of my car today so I had to make a quick trip to the self-wash place to clean it up. I've noticed my expenses related to car washes and car care products has gone way up.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:40 AM
M1N1N1M
2nd Gear
Break-in is done!

Today Chili Pup is done with the break in period!

Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Beauregard
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minitee
My car is still doing great! Had a bird desecrate the hood of my car today so I had to make a quick trip to the self-wash place to clean it up. I've noticed my expenses related to car washes and car care products has gone way up.
I had a bird poop on my //MRoadster and even though I washed it off very quickly (within and hour or so) it etched the clear coat and it is very ugly if viewed from the correct angle. This happened just before I had it detailed so the wax layer may not have been tough enough to protect. You really have to get that stuff off quickly and keep plenty of wax on the car.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Yay!

Originally Posted by M1N1N1M
Today Chili Pup is done with the break in period!
Hey, congrats M1! Its more fun without worrying about that 4500RPM limitation.

I passed 2222 miles yesterday... lots of fun (if insignificant) little "milestones" along the way.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Rondon
1st Gear
Check this out. Just passed 564 miles.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rondon
Check this out. Just passed 564 miles.
Wow... you win the award for the lowest miles of the group so far.

I've got some rattles in the dash and various areas that aren't too bad, and I've been putting off visiting the dealer to take care of them. I think I'll make the trip down there fairly soon to get them taken care of though.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 PM
sfodoug
3rd Gear
Holy crap, it's hot!

So, in the cabrio, there's a little "protective" shield/box over the buttons that raise and lower the top. You know, the one that says, "STOP! Are you sure you need to put the top down? Be honest." or something like that. You have to open the little box in order to get to the buttons. It's a little bit of whimsy that I figured I'd leave on until the double sided tape holding it on gave out.

Well, I came home on Saturday night (it got up to 115 degrees here on Saturday) and got in the MINI. When I went to put the top down I found that the little box had melted and completely warped out of shape. The little flip over the box was warped into a semi circle, and the box was more like a parallelogram than a rectangle. Guess that was a good time to take it off!

Quick Reply: Production Week 18 Support Group