1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mfsw ?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mfsw ?...

OK, I've searched but cannot find a clear answer:

Will my 2006 MCS have the two "dead" buttons on the steering wheel (for Bluetooth phones)? Some pics of the new MFSW have them, and others don't. I would rather not have them (I hate non-functioning anything on a car), and I am now obsessing over this, so please help. Please see my signature for specs, in case packages have anything to do with it. Thank you and sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Krapow
2nd Gear
My car has the "dead buttons". Its a 2006 but was built in Dec 2005, so if they did change the MFSW it could be different. But try not to obsess on that, the car will still be lots of fun.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
bolus
4th Gear
What buttons do you mean? I have 2 non-functioning phone buttons on my multifunction wheel (bottom left in pic below) because I didn't add the optional phone accessory. I imagine you'll get this steering wheel if you added the multifunction wheel.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Krapow
My car has the "dead buttons". Its a 2006 but was built in Dec 2005, so if they did change the MFSW it could be different. But try not to obsess on that, the car will still be lots of fun.
Thanks. I know, the car will be great, but blanks and non-functioning parts just make me . I mean, I spent $100 on the rear fog, even though I:

1) Won't use it and even more
2) Think they are a horrible idea in America, since most people don't have them don't know what they are, and think that someone is riding their brakes, and a lot of people who don't have them leave them on all the time!

Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bolus
What buttons do you mean? I have 2 non-functioning phone buttons on my multifunction wheel (bottom left in pic below) because I didn't add the optional phone accessory. I imagine you'll get this steering wheel if you added the multifunction wheel.

Yes, those buttons, for Bluetooth phones.

This is a picture I found on NAM without them, making me wonder what the deal is:

Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 PM
HSE
2nd Gear
Unless you took out the Bluetooth option, you will have two dead buttons. If you feel that strongly about it, activate them! And if don't want to pay the ridiculous price MINI is asking (most people don't) go the Parrot route. This will definitely be one of my first modifications. It's convenient and makes it safer for myself and everyone around me.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HSE
Unless you took out the Bluetooth option, you will have two dead buttons. If you feel that strongly about it, activate them! And if don't want to pay the ridiculous price MINI is asking (most people don't) go the Parrot route. This will definitely be one of my first modifications. It's convenient and makes it safer for myself and everyone around me.
Are you referring to the Mikeythemini parrot enabler? I would absolutely do this if I didn't have to wire a mic through the entire car. I just think it's easier to use my Bluetooth headset.

And, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to use that stick on remote control with the factory bluetooth option anyway?

Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Interesting pic. Since my car is a week old, I'd imagine you'll get the same steering wheel as me. Perhaps that is an older model before the bluetooth option was added

Old 04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bolus
Interesting pic. Since my car is a week old, I'd imagine you'll get the same steering wheel as me. Perhaps that is an older model before the bluetooth option was added
Hmmm...OK. Thank you!

Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 PM
HSE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mayim
Are you referring to the Mikeythemini parrot enabler? I would absolutely do this if I didn't have to wire a mic through the entire car. I just think it's easier to use my Bluetooth headset.

And, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to use that stick on remote control with the factory bluetooth option anyway?
There are two factory options. The one with the stick on remote is $450. The one without the stick on remote is.. ready? $1250!

Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HSE
There are two factory options. The one with the stick on remote is $450. The one without the stick on remote is.. ready? $1250!
Ha! Is that including the price of the armrest you have to buy with it?

I am one of the 5 or so people who actually bought a Siemens S66 (which I no longer use, but can if I swap my SIM card), and I was excited about this "theory" of a mod, until I saw the price.

I am actually very tech savvy and this whole thing is really p!ss!ing me off, since I cannot find (anywhere!) a clear-cut way to get these to work with out spending a load of $$$ or having a stupid add-on remote.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:16 PM
XAlfa
Banned
I am actually very tech savvy.
Apparently not.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
JASMCS
2nd Gear
The early versions of the newer MFSW steering wheels didn't have these buttons - they will definitely be there on your '06.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by JASMCS
The early versions of the newer MFSW steering wheels didn't have these buttons - they will definitely be there on your '06.
I have a Feb biuld 05 with the B/T phone buttons on my MFSW
Or you could do this with the dead bottons
https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=262

https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=261

Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWrks
The MFSW relay allows you to use the phone button as an on-off switch for a wide variety of applications. I am using it for the OEM rear view camera.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Thanks. I know, the car will be great, but blanks and non-functioning parts just make me . I mean, I spent $100 on the rear fog, even though I:

2) Think they are a horrible idea in America, since most people don't have them don't know what they are, and think that someone is riding their brakes, and a lot of people who don't have them leave them on all the time!
The rear fogs serve one outstanding function. You can use them to get tailgaters to back off real quick! Here in DC, they're a neccessity.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Apparently not.
I know, right?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheWrks
I have a Feb biuld 05 with the B/T phone buttons on my MFSW
Or you could do this with the dead bottons
https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=262

https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=261

Thanks for the info. I already have Homelink (included with the convenience package) but the stereo mute is definitely an option.

I e-mailed mikeythemini to get some more information; hopefully I'll have all this figured out before May 3...

Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blanks and non-functioning parts just make me . I mean, I spent $100 on the rear fog, even though I:

Very, very off base. Rear fog lights are a potential life saver, if used correctly. Their exclusive purpose is to warn those traveling behind you in severe weather where the asphalt ends and where your MINI begins.

Do not use them for other purposes that you allude to such as leaving them on at all times.

Rear fogs have saved my butt on several occasions in Belgium, where the fog rolls in off the North Sea without warning. Likewise here in the USA, I've encountered heavy fog along river banks and lake shores, in the mountains and by the sea. These are wonderful safety devises, and it took a write in campaign by us, early MINI owners, to even get MINIUSA to offer them as a retrofit.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Very, very off base. Rear fog lights are a potential life saver, if used correctly. Their exclusive purpose is to warn those traveling behind you in severe weather where the asphalt ends and where your MINI begins.

Do not use them for other purposes that you allude to such as leaving them on at all times.

Rear fogs have saved my butt on several occasions in Belgium, where the fog rolls in off the North Sea without warning. Likewise here in the USA, I've encountered heavy fog along river banks and lake shores, in the mountains and by the sea. These are wonderful safety devises, and it took a write in campaign by us, early MINI owners, to even get MINIUSA to offer them as a retrofit.
Maybe I wasn't clear before, but I agree with you. It's just here in the good ol' USA, we get about three minutes of driving instruction, and are never told about safety features like rear fogs.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
OK, I've searched but cannot find a clear answer:

Will my 2006 MCS have the two "dead" buttons on the steering wheel (for Bluetooth phones)? Some pics of the new MFSW have them, and others don't. I would rather not have them (I hate non-functioning anything on a car), and I am now obsessing over this, so please help. Please see my signature for specs, in case packages have anything to do with it. Thank you and sorry if this has been asked a million times.
I like dead buttons and blanks! When I have morons in my car that ask stupid questions like "what was that for?" I can say it was for the optional knuter valve relay and the hyper-drive posi torque inhibitor.

Being that we are beer credit challenged we only buy what we need.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Maybe there is a retrofit kit so you could change to one of the wheels w/o the buttons..... the problems would be $$ and finding one tho.....

Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
Maybe there is a retrofit kit so you could change to one of the wheels w/o the buttons..... the problems would be $$ and finding one tho.....
I'm neurotic, but not that neurotic. Hopefully mikeythemini can hook me up with the best solution. I will make these buttons do something...

Thanks for the idea, though.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Maybe I wasn't clear before, but I agree with you. It's just here in the good ol' USA, we get about three minutes of driving instruction, and are never told about safety features like rear fogs.
I must have misunderstood your point. Agreed, the drivers' training that we receive in the USA is woefully inadequate. Rarely are inclement weather, night driving, additional safety features that may be purchased for your vehicle even mentioned, let alone subject to required training and education. In northern Europe, it literally takes several months to get a driver's license as the student has to drive in snow, fog, at night, in the rain, etc. ('course it also costs something like a few thousand dollars to get licensed.)

Old 04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Strange...

The MFSW I've seen at my dealer all just have the stereo and cruise controls. No B/T control.

Does anybody know what combination of options produces these two? It seems that you'd only get the BT controls if you ordered it.. ?

Quick Reply: 2006 Mfsw ?...