1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post...future Mini owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post...future Mini owner

Hello, all. I've been lurking for the past few weeks, figured I'd finally speak up and introduce myself.

I don't actually have a Mini yet, but will be ordering an '06 MCS sometime this summer. Looking extremely forward to it. I think I've about worn out the Mini USA site, configuring and reconfiguring!

In the meantime, I'll have to rely on my Mazda Protege5 to do its best impersonation...

Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome - and......we'll all be here to support you through the waiting period...

Donna

Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering whose fault it was for breaking down the MINI.com configurerererer. Welcome anyway!!! Best get that MINI ordered before they tell you you have to get an 07. In the mean time driving around in a P5 isn't too bad. Nice cars I think.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Welcome! So, have you got it narrowed down yet or are you still in color and options flux? I'm sure you've read all the opinions flying around here already, good luck sorting it all out - we ended up changing out colors last minute and getting a pretty loaded car and ended up happy, I'm sure it will all work out for you too

Old 04-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Best get that MINI ordered before they tell you you have to get an 07.
Believe me, I've been stressing about it...you know it gets bad when your wife tells you you've been talking about Minis in your sleep!

The dealer I'm working with seems confident that I'll still be able to place an order in November. I don't see how, but hopefully I'll have until July or so. I've arranged for them to contact me if it looks like their allotments are running down, and just to be safe I'll follow up with them now and then.

As for colors and options, I'm pretty well settled. Pretty much loading it up - all of the packages except Checkmate and JCW, some form of leather, Chrono pack, Harmon-Kardon, iPod adapter, Sportlink and bike holder, JCW brake kit.

Color's a bit trickier. At this point, I'm considering space blue, astro black, royal grey, and hyper blue. The wife and I have found that we both like royal grey w/ the silver roof and bonnet stripes, so that one's currently in the lead.

And, oh yes, I'll be getting an automatic . I love manuals, and I'd love to have a six-speed, but the wife has a mental block about driving standards. Oh well, at least I'll have the paddle shifters...

Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
I vote for Royal Grey!, that is, unless you want to come to the dark side...Dark Silver!

And you could teach the wife the 6 speed; I'll be teaching my girlfriend once I get past the break-in period.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you'll have a nice car there. As far as the Auto goes, well that's OK too. Best to keep the wife happy & besides you'll have paddle shifters! I have a Hyper Blue / White, which I love. Truth be told if I'd have seen the Royal Grey / Silver in person before I ordered mine that would've been my pick.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Glad to hear all the positive comments about the Royal Grey...I've scoured NAM for images and like what I see.

Regarding the wife and the manual...I've taught her on two cars actually...a Defender 90 and the P5 I have now. She can drive stick, just not very well, and it terrifies her on hills.

I can see where she's coming from to a point. It's a hard thing to pick up unless you have to live with it, day in and day out, for a few weeks.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi, Doogs! Welcome to NAM! I love the Royal Grey/Silver...I have a 2003 all Jet Black (no longer offered) MCS, but if I were ordering another one, I'd get the RG/S!

As for the MINI's manual tranny: it is VERY fun and your wife would most likely really enjoy it. Have you taken her for a test-drive yet? Try the automatic and the manual...both of you...and let us know what she thinks.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
May try to pull that as I get closer to ordering. Being in Austin, it isn't easy to get to the nearest Mini dealer, which is eighty miles away in San Antonio.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doogs
May try to pull that as I get closer to ordering. Being in Austin, it isn't easy to get to the nearest Mini dealer, which is eighty miles away in San Antonio.
There are some nice MINI folks in SA, also in D/FW.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Welcome Doogs! Don't wait too long into the summer to order or as the above post says, you'll be getting an '07. Not sure if you want to buy in the first production year of the new engine. I had one dealer out east claim, however, that the new engine with the JCW mods will push it to somewhere in the 225-235 hp range. That remains to be seen. Or, I'll beleive when I see it. And drive it.

Good luck on ordering and enjoy the process of getting what you want.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper Guy
Welcome Doogs! Don't wait too long into the summer to order or as the above post says, you'll be getting an '07. Not sure if you want to buy in the first production year of the new engine.

Good luck on ordering and enjoy the process of getting what you want.
That's the whole reason I'm ordering this summer. I was planning on car shopping next summer, but I'm just not sure about the '07. It'll be hard for it to top the current generation, and, given the standards set, pretty easy for it to fall short, in my opinion. And, as you say, I don't want to get stuck with the first model year of a new generation.

I've made it clear to the dealer that I want a 2006, and that I will not buy a 2007. We've arranged that he'll let me know if their allotments start dwindling so long as I pester him about it every few weeks. Which I plan on doing - I'm not missing out on an '06!