1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering an '06

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering an '06

Hey everyone, I'm new! You've got a great community here, and it's been really helpful reading through the old posts to learn more about MINIs.

I'm definitely going to buy a MINI, but I specifically don't want an '07. It seems like the '05 and '06 models are the most reliable, so I've decided on an '06.

Problem is...

I contacted my local dealer (Northwest MINI in Tacoma) and they told me that even if I ordered one now, the wait time would be 10-12 months, so I'd end up with an '07.

My heart isn't set on a new MINI, it's just that the prices around here for a used one are almost as much as new! So I figure I might as well get the new one. I mean, $25k for a new '06 with everything I want (sport and convenience packages) vs. $22 for an older model with 20k miles? There's no question in my mind that I'd spend a few thousand to get something with ZERO miles, you know?

Does anyone think I could order from another dealer and still be able to get an '06, or will I be stuck buying used? Based on a few messages I've seen posted here recently, it sounds like some people are still able to custom order an '06 that will be delivered before they start making the '07's.

Any info is appreciated, folks!

Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The Pac Northwest has always been plagued by long wait times... Look at Classic MINI or any of the other sponsors here on NAM and they can probably get you a custom spec delivered to you by this August at the very latest....

Old 04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
bobdobbs
4th Gear
MINI of the Hamptons can hook you up. Probably 4-6 weeks wait. Ask for Mike Dito.

http://www.miniofthehamptons.com/

Old 04-19-2006, 03:38 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Do I have to drive there? :)

Seriously, if I call up this dealership and order one, do I have to drive out and get it, or can they drop it off in Washington? Is it extra?

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 PM
herozup
3rd Gear
I am also getting ready to order. I just called Classic and they said they have 3 more spots for July.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Chekm8
3rd Gear
If you end up checking out used ones after all, Park Place in Bellevue often have several on the lot...

Old 04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Yeah, I was a sucker and ordered from NW MINI. It wasnt that bad, ordered in November and got my production number the first of April. They tend to overstate their times there for some reason. But yeah, if you can affor dit now, go with another dealer back east. Most of them will get it to in within about 2 months.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:18 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the info, folks! I'm going to get more info from Classic MINI and MINI of the Hamptons to see how much it costs to ship to WA. It might end up being cheaper - for some reason they seem to be more expensive on the west coast.

Oh, and I'll have to check out Park Place Motors, too. I'll try not to be intimidated by all the pricey sportscars $$$$

Old 04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey and Welcome aboard! Repeating what others have said, it pays to call other dealers...www.miniusa.com and locate other dealers and quick - - get on the phone...

Donna

Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Chekm8
3rd Gear
By the way, at NW MINI you could get lucky that someone let their deal fall through.... that's how I got my first (03) MC, looked at cars one day, got a call next day that they had a brand new car available to me. Ask them if that ever happens anymore, it couldn't hurt.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Rasmussen in Portland has a few in stock if you dont care about buying one off the lot. They had just come in with my Mini a couple of weeks ago. They rarely have cars in stock

http://rasmussenmini.com/New-Inventory.aspx

(I would totally go for that BRG fully loaded JCW

Old 04-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
never mind, double post.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
At the risk of double-posting (why do my posts not always show up, am I on some sort of Newbie throttle?), here's what I posted a few minutes ago:

I was in the same boat as you. Talked to the guys at Fife/Tacoma and they gave me the $595 over MSRP + 12 month wait speech. I figured, forget this... called around and found that Vegas & Salt Lake City can get them for you right now. Vegas wants $1500 over MSRP, and SLC is selling for just MSRP. I ordered from SLC (MINI of Murray) two weeks ago and it will be here in about 6-8 weeks. Now that's more like it!

I plan on flying down there (I see one-way flights for $79) and driving it back. A fun road trip, and much cheaper than the trailer transport options (I was quoted $600 to $1200 for shipment from there to Seattle area).

Happy motoring!

Old 04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
BlindLemonLars
2nd Gear
Old 04-19-2006, 07:20 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Awesome, thanks for all the advice! And yes, I'll definitely shop around to see who can offer me the best price.

I think a road trip could be a lot of fun, too... :D

Old 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Welcome to NAM, pancakex! Living not too far from you, I naturally and initially went to Northwest MINI in Fife. I put my $500 down to wait on the long list several months ago. But after reading through the great wisdom here on NAM, I checked around and decided with MINI of the Hamptons. (I, too, wanted the 06 and not the 07).

Anyway, I offically ordered four weeks ago with MOTH, and my MCS is about four days from docking in New York. Jerry Halloran (my MA) has been fantastic to work with. He's arranging for train/truck shipping for a mere $500. I figured I go this route and forego the $595 markup at Northwest MINI.

This has been my experience thus far. If you want a new 06, you'll have to order out of state; there's still time. One thing to consider, though, is that you'll have to pay the 9.1% new car sales tax in Washington. So, if you're financing...keep this in mind. If you're not financing...keep this in mind.

Good luck, and welcome to NAM!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 PM
giskard
Neutral
FYI - I ordered my MCS from Motowerks MINI in Minneapolis. I had the production number before I left, the car was scheduled for production 3 days later, built about a week after that, loaded on a boat 1 day after that and is currently plying its way across the Atlantic (basically, I'm saying they don't have a waiting list ). My MA was very easy to deal with and there was no markup. I live in Minnesota, so I didn't ask about delivery, but you never know. Good luck ordering your MINI!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone for your advice. I just ordered my MINI from MINI of Murray in Salt Lake City. I'll definitely post more info later! :D

Old 04-25-2006, 06:59 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anon0mus
Anyway, I offically ordered four weeks ago with MOTH, and my MCS is about four days from docking in New York. Jerry Halloran (my MA) has been fantastic to work with.
agreed, Jerry's a good joe!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:55 PM
anon0mus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pancakex
Thanks everyone for your advice. I just ordered my MINI from MINI of Murray in Salt Lake City. I'll definitely post more info later! :D
CONGRATULATIONS, pancakex!!! You're gonna have a great time motoring back from SLC once you get it!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:09 AM
o-ron
5th Gear
awesome! let us know how that turns out.

i was in the same boat - ended up ordering from patrick mini in chicago - they had the quickest turn-around time

Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM
mon_cul1
Neutral
Hello, this is the significant other of the member whose ID I've *borrowed*, so if you're gonna flame, flame me, not her!

Gonna try & be level-headed & objective & respectful here, but WTF?...

Many - us included - are cruising for the last of the new or almost-new '06s, and we, like everyone else, figured we'd start at our local dealership, NW MINI. After being driven to the internet by price/sevice/selection found in Fife, we were SHOCKED. I mean, I understand that different markets make the same car worth different amounts of money in different areas, but IMHO thousands of dollars difference in adjacent markets is a little extreme. Here in western Washington, you can get a loaded-plus-leather 2006 Cooper S (list price about $27,700) with 4,000 nice & hard demo-car miles on it for $29,100. So, we're talkin' $1300 *over* list for a used car with 4K mi. I asked and was told that this is a market adjustment for the rarity of the silver/black coloring. I was in no mood to bicker, so I didn't mention the TWO similar (in coloring, at least) back East at MOTH which sell for MSRP and ship (for now at least...) for FREE. And are new. With no miles. And no gouging. And no storytelling about the different gear ratios in the super-secret different transmission that you get with the JCW package (or anecdotes about how demo cars are great deals since test drives are perfect for engine break-in, or... NEVERMIND!) Or the new-cars-sell-for-list-price policy of their neighbors to the South in Portland - a mere three-hours' drive away. How dare they & how are they (still) getting away with this? Is it just their proximity to the Microsoft campus? But wait, MS employees are *smart*. I just don't get it. There's more - way more - but decorum and borrowed logon forbid me from commenting. But I hope this doesn't get mod-zapped so it shows up for seaching by-and-by.

But please folks - for the children! - do your homework. Read this and other forums. Read reviews. Shop around. Kill a day and drive to the other MINI dealer.

See you there!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Celtic Frost
3rd Gear
I hear yah, prime example:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=87959

I know that Ralph Schomp in Denver has a pretty good selection of '06's on their lot as well, just not sure about any discounts.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mon_cul1
Hello, this is the significant other of the member whose ID I've *borrowed*, so if you're gonna flame, flame me, not her!

Gonna try & be level-headed & objective & respectful here, but WTF?...

Many - us included - are cruising for the last of the new or almost-new '06s, and we, like everyone else, figured we'd start at our local dealership, NW MINI. After being driven to the internet by price/sevice/selection found in Fife, we were SHOCKED. I mean, I understand that different markets make the same car worth different amounts of money in different areas, but IMHO thousands of dollars difference in adjacent markets is a little extreme. Here in western Washington, you can get a loaded-plus-leather 2006 Cooper S (list price about $27,700) with 4,000 nice & hard demo-car miles on it for $29,100. So, we're talkin' $1300 *over* list for a used car with 4K mi. I asked and was told that this is a market adjustment for the rarity of the silver/black coloring. I was in no mood to bicker, so I didn't mention the TWO similar (in coloring, at least) back East at MOTH which sell for MSRP and ship (for now at least...) for FREE. And are new. With no miles. And no gouging. And no storytelling about the different gear ratios in the super-secret different transmission that you get with the JCW package (or anecdotes about how demo cars are great deals since test drives are perfect for engine break-in, or... NEVERMIND!) Or the new-cars-sell-for-list-price policy of their neighbors to the South in Portland - a mere three-hours' drive away. How dare they & how are they (still) getting away with this? Is it just their proximity to the Microsoft campus? But wait, MS employees are *smart*. I just don't get it. There's more - way more - but decorum and borrowed logon forbid me from commenting. But I hope this doesn't get mod-zapped so it shows up for seaching by-and-by.

But please folks - for the children! - do your homework. Read this and other forums. Read reviews. Shop around. Kill a day and drive to the other MINI dealer.

See you there!
You're right, and the fact that dealers can still get away with such games sucks... But most US car buyers go to the dealer looking for a car NOW, and as such can't be bothered with going to Portland or where ever to a dealer that doesn't mark up their cars. Dealers do such things because their market supports it. Most dealers gave it mark-ups many years ago because the market has softened a bit, but there are still some dealers that are in markets where the car is in high demand.

Also keep in mind, you're looking for a car that's no longer in production... The '06 went out of production a few weeks ago, for a West Coast dealer there is the inventory currently on the lots and possibly a few cars still enroute... That's it. That makes '06s a bit hard to find. With that in mind, if you're determined to get an '06 in an area with high demand for MINIs, I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer marked up the car... I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't be surprised by it...

Old 12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
dix
6th Gear
I bought used and still had to fight to get the price down a bit. The dealer wasn't that concerned, the Mini is a car that can be sold pronto! And they have all the time in the world...or so my dealer told me. Darn it!

Quick Reply: Ordering an '06