1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save your money for Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
2006mcsasteve
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save your money for Mods

To you soon to be, or new Cooper S owners, put aside a small amount of money to make some effective upgrades.

I do say small, because relatively speaking most of these can be done fairly cheaply.

Find a local Mini shop that can be trusted (you can often search the threads for someone near you).

For performance:
15% pulley reduction
New CAI (cold air intake, sometimes called airbox)
New spark plugs

For handling, especially if you plan to do any track days
22mm rear sway bar

For braking, again especially if you are doing track days
New front pads
New brake fluid

Unless you live in a place that snows, get the most performance tires that are offered when you buy.

You can get all of the above for about $600-700 and then have it all installed for another $500 or so.

It must be mentioned, for posterity, that you can void the warranty on the specific pieces you change, but all of these mods have been seriously vetted by hundreds, if not thousands, of Mini owners over the last few years with very few problems.

Happy Motoring!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Turcicus
5th Gear
A newb question - is the CAI something that you can install yourself, or does it require going to a shop?

Old 04-28-2006, 05:54 AM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turcicus
A newb question - is the CAI something that you can install yourself, or does it require going to a shop?
I have never done it on a Mini, but I have done it on a ton of other cars, and it was easy as pie.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:15 AM
RHM
2nd Gear
For mods, I have read (posts from those that have installed them) that plug wires really don't make any noticeable change, but how about the plugs that you suggested? As this would be an inexpensive change, does it make a noticeable (or measureable) difference?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I changed my plugs from the stockers with 90,000+ miles on them to those fancy Denso iridium ones. I noticed.... wait for it... absolutely nothing.

But, I've got a Cooper, not an MCS, so I obviously have some issues and should not be trusted.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 PM
mcsdmn
2nd Gear
well i had an old nissan pickup and when i changed the plugs from regular ones to Denso iridium dual something plugs the truck felt a little more responsive.........
don't know about the MINI haven't changed those.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
What impact does the 15% pulley have on warranty?

Voided warranty on supercharger and/or engine = no thanks, I'll wait

Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the modding world of Minis!

Pulley is the best bang for buck you can do (not counting nitrous!). Warranty depends on you dealer... Heck, some even install them!

If you want to save even more $, look up the HAI (K&N filter directly on the throttle body). It's under $50. There's a thread where someone will bend you a CAI box for about $50. But this is a very, very easy to do mod. If you're comfortable with a socket wrench and screwdriver, you can do it.

Colder plugs are to keep cylinder temps down on pullied cars, and there are varying opinions on their efficacy.

The rear bar will help balance the car better, but start easy and work your way up the stiffness settings. Don't want the wrong end pointing down the road!

Pads and fluids help the brakes, as does metal caliper bushings. Look in the reviews section under brakes....

Anyway, there are folks who've "been there, done that" all over the boards.

Use the search function, and don't be afraid to ask.

FWIW, MC Squared just did a "First 5 mods" article (that I wrote), but there are also how to articles with photos. LAst issue had CAI, and next one has front brake pads.

Have fun!

Matt