1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delivery Day: Drooled all over my new MCS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery Day: Drooled all over my new MCS!

Well things didn't quite work out as planned. I wanted to pick up my car yesterday, but didn't get home in time. This morning I had a dentist appointment at 11:15am. I walked into the dealership at 10:30am....do you see where this is going?

I had a MINI previously and my MA was a friend and aware of my needing to leave shortly. The paperwork was already done beforehand so she updated me on the changes and off I went. One of the worst pains in the world has to be sitting in a dentist office with a drill in your mouth and someone holding what looks like a shop-vac in your face while your new MCS sits outside with 22 miles on the odometer...I would consider it a crime but...

at least I have a great excuse for drooling all over me new car, NOVACAINE!!!

Now I previously owned an 03 MCS DS/W Premium, Sport, Cold, Leather, HK, Autodim and Rainsensing....my new MCS is an 06 HB/W Premium, Sport, Cold, plus driving lamps which were already installed by the dealer but I was not charged for them (labor/aggrevation to uninstall them would have been the same price as the lights). The MSRP on the new car was only $115 less than my 03 and I don't have leather ($1200) HK ($500) and rainsensing and autodimming mirror ($400)....($2100-$115=$1985)...wow did they jack those prices up in the last three years.

Now for some feedback on the updates and differences:
I am diggin the leatherette so far over the leather. Yes you may feel a bit swampy or muggy after a long ride but that is to be expected. It made drool cleanup verrry easy this afternoon. Also the leatherette seems a lot grippier...my friend was very excited that she didn't fly around as much in the new one when I took her for a ride.

Stock stereo is decent, HK was definitely better. I picked the new car out of stock and may or may not have ordered it with HK. I think it is worth it if you don't plan on ever upgrading down the road.

The new Xenons rock! Basically the same as a BMW compared to the non-projector ones on my 03.

The driving lamps...are sweet. I never guessed they would throw so much light out there. Watch out when I've got Xenons, High beams, and the Driving Lamps on...BRIGHT!

The 06 is much more solid as everyone comments about. It feels more BMWish and less like a toy. It is definitely assembled better than the 03 was.

Those new gearbox ratios are short...watch out during break in as it is hard to keep the revs down....love it!

The ambient lighting is a nice touch however I don't know if I dig the fact that it lights up the speedo...I kind of liked the speedo to light itself up instead of having light shine on it too.

Overall really excited. I feel like a kid again (I turn 20 on Thursday haha). I covered 120ish miles today and will be driving up to Boston tomorrow (210 miles) So I won't be shy to get this baby broken in. Happy Motoring everybody!

Old 04-29-2006, 11:08 PM
HSE
2nd Gear
Congratulations

It might be too early for you to answer this question but do you miss having auto-dimming mirror and rain-sensing wipers? I turned down the Convenience Package and I'm not sure if that was a wise choice. I mean, $400 isn't too bad considering my MCS was already over the $27k mark. It's too late now (my MINI is on a ship right now) but I'm just wondering.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:40 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HSE
Congratulations

It might be too early for you to answer this question but do you miss having auto-dimming mirror and rain-sensing wipers? I turned down the Convenience Package and I'm not sure if that was a wise choice. I mean, $400 isn't too bad considering my MCS was already over the $27k mark. It's too late now (my MINI is on a ship right now) but I'm just wondering.
I had auto-headlights and the dimming mirror in my last car...dont miss either.

What I WOULD like are auto dimming side mirrors...that would make so much more sense. I'm not sure why the auto industry hasnt tried it yet.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
What I WOULD like are auto dimming side mirrors...that would make so much more sense. I'm not sure why the auto industry hasnt tried it yet.
A lot of luxury cars have an auto-dimming driver's side mirror, including all Mercedes-Benz autos. So, it's been done, but I'm not sure the cost of the glass, wiring, etc.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep saying that MINI dealerships should have drool rag dispensers at the front door, but do they listen..............nooooooo!!

Old 04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
No MCS Yet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I keep saying that MINI dealerships should have drool rag dispensers at the front door, but do they listen..............nooooooo!!
I had a similar idea: barf bag dispensers at the front door of Pontiac dealerships

Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Mayim
4th Gear
Originally Posted by No MCS Yet
I had a similar idea: barf bag dispensers at the front door of Pontiac dealerships
Ha!

Old 04-30-2006, 08:06 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
I had auto-headlights and the dimming mirror in my last car...dont miss either.

Well howdy all! Just put the little guy to sleep, 352 miles since delivery yesterday. I drove up to Boston this evening, dark out almost the whole way. I do not miss the autodimming mirror one bit. I actually severly disliked the rainsensing wipers on my last MINI and since then have had two BMWs with regular speed sensitive, I don't think I will be missing them at all. I much prefer the speed sensitive wipers.

A LOT of the new BMWs are available with dimming side view mirrors. I have driven X5s and 7 series with them and they are very nice. I would not be surprised if they showed up on the next generation MINI in the fall.

I had to park my little guy out in the far parking lot at school, under a lamp post though so he won't be afraid of the dark!

Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM
BlindLemonLars
2nd Gear