1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood paint problem caused by washer jets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 AM
cold aspiration
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric B
If it isn't immediately removed once you see it appear is it on there forever?
As in is it constantly further etching the paint as time goes by or is it basically just leaving a trace behind like a water spot only a little bit more severe?

-e

I second this question, some posters earlier said that the lines simply disappeared after a while. Can you guys elaborate?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
cold aspiration
2nd Gear
Okay, so now after about a week since delivery, i got the stains :(. I thought i caught it when the wash jets on the hood was oozing and i wiped it all. Suggestions?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time heals all wounds (possibly)

So I had the stains just around the bonnet jets - both sides but drivers side in particular. Dealer said they would buff them out and I said no thanks:impatient! I went after the stains with a clay bar, then some Zaino Z-PC (Scratch-X) and really minimized them. They were still visible though at certain angles but better than a buff-out by the dealer.
My car sits outside and slowly since the end of June the stains and paint imperfections have faded until now you would have to know what you are looking for to see them.
I guess my recommendation would be to try to clean them off as best as possible, then allow nature and time to finish them off.

Chuck

Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 PM
boognish
4th Gear
I was able to eliminate the cosmoline stains on my 06 MCSa (SB/S) using a clay bar (repeatedly) and then follow-up with several coats of Zaino Z2 and Z5. Then, a week later, more cosmoline started dripping out the rear wiper...uuugggghhh. Almost 3 weeks since delivery and it hasn't stopped dripping out, seems to occur more frequently on very hot (>90 F) days...maybe the heat liquifies the cosmoline or something...I dunno. I do know it's a pain to remove the stains, but it can be done if done carefully with a clay bar.

-boognish

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Eric B
3rd Gear
I washed my car with A LOT of water focusing on the washer jets and the rear wiper assembly hoping to flush all the remaining Cosmoline out... I think I got it because it's been several days since I cleaned it and the streak hasn't reappeared... fingers crossed...

-e

Old 09-09-2006, 02:16 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
So the wife and I are going to take delivery of our new HB/W MCS on Monday. We're picking it up in Salt Lake City and driving it home to Washington State. But I'm really worried about this staining issue. Another Production Week 28 member has already had this problem with his brand new car. I'm trying to figure out how to prevent it with ours.

Would it be overkill to ask my dealer to activate the washers and run them out of fluid? Then throughly wash the car before our delivery?

We've never owned a Mini. Heck I don't even know where the washer fluid is stored and how to get to it?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
SCooperLA
Neutral
Same problem here on my new 07. It actually came that way. I brought it to Mini and they thought it a transport issue, where something dripped down from an above car. They replaced the stripes. I brought it home. It happened again. Vinyl stripes are very fragile...just a decal. Any sort of wiper fluid is by nature not great for vinyl. I tried waxing my first set of stripes and then even Maguiring them with 42. Didn't work, but they sure looked really slick and oily. Anyway, they told me after I brought it to their attention again that it would always happen and that if it really bugged me and I could live without stripes then I should remove them immediately before the sun started to fade the paint around them, making it obvious the car had once had stripes. My car is a lease so I finally just chilled out and decided, screw it. In a couple years I'll probably have a Clubman anyway. Once idea is maybe to remove them and have the hood painted with bonnet stripes, which would be much less prone to stains...just a thought.