1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, about to buy a Mini!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post, about to buy a Mini!

Hi everyone. Nice place you've got here.

I just sold my 2003 Ford Cobra, and am planning to purchase a Mini. Test-drove both the S and the standard last night, and both were nice. The S was better, of course, but the thing I liked best about it was the suspension.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ordered a standard Mini with the S suspension, and how they like it.

I've liked the cars for a long time. I should've bought one back in 03 instead of the Cobra, but it's never too late, right?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Blackhat00
2nd Gear
to my knowledge the only difference in suspension is thicker sway bars which you can get on the standard Mini.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
The Sport Suspension Plus package is available on the MINI Cooper. MINIUSA.com says that the package changes both springs and sway bars to stiffer bits. $500 option.

The SSP is the standard suspension for the MCS. That in mind I am sure that you could check with some MINI tuners and see if they have any springs and sway bars from a MCS who has gone aftermarket bits.

Sometimes you can find them here on NAM for the cost of shipping.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 AM
cydewaze
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies. I think I've talked myself into an S now, though. Since I found out they take the same gas and insurance is about the same, the difference in price of the cars isn't enough to keep me away from the S.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Thanks for the replies. I think I've talked myself into an S now, though. Since I found out they take the same gas and insurance is about the same, the difference in price of the cars isn't enough to keep me away from the S.
I agree. Anyone who has owned a Mustang Cobra has to be into performance. Otherwise, they would drive the 6 cylinder. I think you will be much happier with the S. If your budget allows, the JCW package ups the performance. I went from a C5 Vette (modded) to my 05 MCS and never looked back. It has way more useable day to day street driving performance. The grins continue for me. I didn't opt for the JCW, but added an exhaust, CAI and a 15% pulley. Costs: around $1,200 including labor. I am content with the car and boast it is my favorite car. PS--I am 62, and have had a 911, 5.0 Mustang, Z28, etc. over the years. You will love it. Nick

Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
I agree. Anyone who has owned a Mustang Cobra has to be into performance. Otherwise, they would drive the 6 cylinder. I think you will be much happier with the S. If your budget allows, the JCW package ups the performance. I went from a C5 Vette (modded) to my 05 MCS and never looked back. It has way more useable day to day street driving performance. The grins continue for me. I didn't opt for the JCW, but added an exhaust, CAI and a 15% pulley. Costs: around $1,200 including labor. I am content with the car and boast it is my favorite car. PS--I am 62, and have had a 911, 5.0 Mustang, Z28, etc. over the years. You will love it. Nick
Similar situation... I just came off a 04 Z06 and the MCS would be a better choice if you were a V8 junkie.. I too have a 15% pulley, intake, exhaust (milltek on order). The mini is way more practical for the street.. It's more fun to drive in the real world.
It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow... Go for the S...