1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings, friends.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Rightupinthere
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings, friends.

I suppose I would be one of those "newbies". Feel free to call me FNG.

A touch of background is in order, perhaps. I'm 37, live in Chardon, Ohio (there are a couple of mini's right in and around me, I know), and work at a rather large insurance firm here in NE Ohio as their corporate boat geek. I have a wife and one offspring - that I know of, at least. The offspring is a girl which would make her a daughter (physically).

I currently own a 2000 Chevy Malibu with 108,000 miles on it. It has been a very, very good car. Not terribly fun to drive, really, but very reliable and "comfortable" to drive.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to need a new car. In my research, I've decided that I'm getting to the age where I want a street legal go-cart. Behold, the Mini presented itself to me. It's rather strange in that I am slightly obsessed with this little roller skate. I've built about 23 cars on miniusa.com to date.

I'm right in the middle of what I want whether my MCS will be a coupe or a cabrio. The coupe would be the Royal Gray with a silver roof, moon roof - etc. The cabrio would be ORANGE and named "Ziggy" because I am a proud alumnus of Bowling Green State University. So, I debate whether I would truly go topless enough to justify a Cabrio purchase.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 AM
cnreng
2nd Gear
I steal my wifes toon convertable (new bettle) every chance I get when the weather is even semi nice. Not a manly car (nothing says macho like a baby blue beetle convertable with a bobble head chihuahua on the dash), but fun.

I am already planning my next MC and it WILL be a Cabrio.

And from one FNG to another Greetings and Salivations (you did say you were building them on miniusa).

btw, the obsession for me didn't start (full swing that is) until I knew the car was on the boat........................

Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 AM
GatorMini06
2nd Gear
I'm personally not a cabrio person, but it sounds like you are, plus the orange is a hot color. So, I would say go with the orange cabrio, but make sure you get a blue roof and go with those orange/blue seats!
GO GATORS!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
A suggestion, Why not test fit your child's car seat in a MINI. I have two sons 5 and 2.75 Indiana law requires the oldest to be in a booster untill he is 8 years old, despite being able to be sit in the back seat and have the belts fit perfectly.

Sure the kid seats are easier to get in and out of a rag top, but that top mechansim takes up a lot of room. There is also the issue of wear patterns on the rag top.

Bottom line is check it out before you get your heart setteld. KIDS LOVE to ride in MINI's! Both of my boys cheer when we start pulling G's in the turns!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Allow myself to introduce... myself

Hey there! Welcome to NAM... Glad you found us.

I have a MCS and I wouldn't trade it in for anything else on the market (exluding a Lotus or Ferrari). We just placed an order (back in April) for a Cabrio to become a two MINI family. I don't think that you'll be disappointed if you go with a Cooper S or Cabrio... either one is great fun! Welcome to the boards and keep us posted on what you decide!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Rightupinthere
Neutral
Originally Posted by DrDiff
A suggestion, Why not test fit your child's car seat in a MINI. I have two sons 5 and 2.75 Indiana law requires the oldest to be in a booster untill he is 8 years old, despite being able to be sit in the back seat and have the belts fit perfectly.

Sure the kid seats are easier to get in and out of a rag top, but that top mechansim takes up a lot of room. There is also the issue of wear patterns on the rag top.
The Deduction is going to be the swing vote. If she doesn't like it then I don't get it. Period......but it would be rather nice not being able to hear the little chatter box wax on about her Littlest Pets while I drive.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I have found that just about every kid who has ridden in a MINI loves MINIs!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Rightupinthere
Neutral
Last night I tested the lass. Well, I'm always testing her. That's my job as a daddy.

Anyway, on the way home from the lake and I decided to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof and get on the freeway.

She thought she was flying and loved every second of it. I'll just have to await a test drive and throw her into the back seat to see how she will really fare.

Overall, it was successful and the HO is one step closer.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 PM
fillelectrique
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
I have found that just about every kid who has ridden in a MINI loves MINIs!
Dogs too!

Mine sniff's the MINI's exhaust pipe everytime before getting in. Guess it the official dog-to-dog greeting!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
One thing to keep in mind. If you EVER think you might want to go to a Driving School (talk about mind blowing fun!!), alot of them don't allow cabrios. My SIL and I both bought MINIs about the same time. I decided to go to driving school and told her about it, which got her all psyched until we realized she couldn't bring the cabrio MINI If this isn't a consideration for you, go for the cabrio. I really love the HO and am still bummed that they don't offer it in the tin top.
Me at Driving School, WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I've already signed up for 2 more this year!
Annette

Old 06-01-2006, 07:14 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!!!!

And whatever you do, DO NOT let Rick (notsoredandwhitecooper) work on your car... even if he is local!