1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 28 (July 10) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
GBMiniGirl
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blatantly copied from PW27:

Occupation - VP-Marketing for my family's company. We make internal pipe sleeves that protect the girth welds of internally coated pipelines.

Family - I've been married for 9 years to a Brit named Simon. Two kids: Connor, who will be 7 at the end of the month and is going into the first grade; and Carys, who just turned 4 and is about to start Pre-K. We have two dogs: a really "not smart" Shar-Pei aptly named Bubba and a Shar-Pei/Bassett Hound mix named SinJin.

Interests - Cars, airplanes and art/photography...not necessarily in that order. I'm the current Secretary of the Houston MINI Motoring Society. I also have a MINI website, which is the headquarters of the Project Mary Racing Team. This is the HMMS officers that like to autocross.

Other Vehicles - I currently drive an '03 CR/W MC named Mosquito. Hubby drives an '05 JB/JB MCS that is heavily modded. Mom drives a PH JCW MCSc. It's safe to say that I've pulled them over to the dark side.

Why I Got a MINI - Love at first sight. 1997, Park Lane Mini, London. A 1998 Hawaiian Blue/White Mini with matching interior. Never looked back.

Kris. I have a MySpace page if you want to be my friend.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Blue baby
3rd Gear
The CIA comic on your web site (scroll far down, for those reading along at home) is fabulous! Definitely the funniest thing I've read in recent memory. Maybe not even recent--I cackled out loud.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Blue baby
3rd Gear
Good idea, Gromit!

Occupation - Senior Manager in the software division of a large company. I manage a team of user experience designers and business analysts; my division does email archiving, PC and server backup, and other software to manage customer information.

Family - Mark and I have been married for almost 2 years. We're both completely wrapped around the little dew claw of a Lab mix named Abby.

Interests - Other than MINIs? Kayaking, swimming, hiking, yoga, reading, writing, cooking, puzzles of all kinds

Other Vehicles - My husband's Jeep Wrangler

Why I Got a MINI - I fell madly in love, plus I believe in putting my money where my design sense is (I'm also a Mac owner). Being balanced between right and left brain, I couldn't let my emotions rule the day. I did obsessive research about every other car that even remotely met my needs, test drove a pile of them, researched some more, and then bought the MINI.

Real Name - Ali

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
GBMiniGirl
Originally Posted by Blue baby
The CIA comic on your web site (scroll far down, for those reading along at home) is fabulous! Definitely the funniest thing I've read in recent memory. Maybe not even recent--I cackled out loud.

Yeah........that would be my husband who posted that.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 AM
GBMiniGirl
Just came back from the dealership. She's not there yet. They are hoping she'll come in today.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*chirp* *chirp* *chirp* *chirp* *chirp*

It's quiet. Too quiet.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
GBMiniGirl
She's still not here. grumble...grumble...grumble....

Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Blue baby
3rd Gear
Logan's here!

GBMiniGirl, I'm really, really, really sorry to rub salt, but...

Logan's here! He's here! Finally here! I'm getting the floor mats and inspection tomorrow, but other than that, he's here!

Just a couple of low-fi pictures (camera phone) for now...

Production Week 28 (July 10) Support Group-08_09_06_1958.jpg

Production Week 28 (July 10) Support Group-08_09_06_1959.jpg

Wahoo! One question--my MA says there's nothing special I need to do during the break-in period except shift before 4500 RPM and try to vary the speed. Is that true? Seems like there should be more, especially since I've read folks on here complaining about how hard it is to get through the break-in period.

He's here! And he definitely _is_ a Logan. Woo hoo!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Chubbafied
2nd Gear
okay... perhaps its the waiting period, or perhaps its apprehension to a new car purchase, but right now i feel like i'm sloowly walking away from the door to purchasing the mini...

I know that i need to just head over to my local mini dealer and spend some more time inside and around the mini, and perhaps spend more time reading all of your own reasons

Old 08-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Red Fish
1st Gear

Wahoo! One question--my MA says there's nothing special I need to do during the break-in period except shift before 4500 RPM and try to vary the speed. Is that true? Seems like there should be more, especially since I've read folks on here complaining about how hard it is to get through the break-in period.
Congratulations, BB!

There is one more break-in caution in the owner's manual: "Absolutely avoid putting the accelerator in full-throttle or kickdown position." Also: don't exeed 95 mph.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! It's worth it.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chubbafied
okay... perhaps its the waiting period, or perhaps its apprehension to a new car purchase, but right now i feel like i'm sloowly walking away from the door to purchasing the mini...

I know that i need to just head over to my local mini dealer and spend some more time inside and around the mini, and perhaps spend more time reading all of your own reasons
Phil, ask your MA if you can check out a Mini for an hour by yourself. Our let us do it. It's a great fix.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
AIS is showing the Auto Banner in San Diego! YOWZA! Port Hueneme next stop!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 PM
GreenRacer
2nd Gear
Woo-hoo! Logan is looking pretty spiffy! Congrats!

As for keeping it under 4500 RPM - easier said than done! Trust me when I say you'll understand in a couple days.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
GBMiniGirl
Logan is lookin' mighty purdy, I mean "handsome!"

Looks like Mary is still in SC. Geez, I hope she didn't get sea sick on the voyage and hurt herself yaking over the side!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:48 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
My MA said that the boat should arrive at Port Humane (spelling) tomorrow (August 11th). He said that it should get to the dealership (Salt Lake City) on the 16th. We're trying to decide on booking a flight that arrives in Salt Lake City on Monday, August 28th or Monday, September 11th. (before or after Labor Day Weekend....we're trying to avoid the traffic, as we're driving the car back to Eastern Washington State)

In the mean time, I'm going racing this weekend. It's the SCCA Solo National Tour in Packwood, WA. I'll be co-driving a Pontiac Solstice. Wish me luck!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
MITCH LIVES! Dude, don't forget lunch-lunner plans on your way back through!

They can unload 370 cars reasonably quickly. She'll probably dock not long after midnight of the 11th, in Port Hueneme, and the unloading process will begin very quickly. If you've got a dozen or so employees to drive the cars off with, they could unload 370 in about six or seven hours. The ship owners want that ship out of there and on her way as soon as possible.

Car cars are parked in a huge lot, with probably a shuttle of somekind to get the drivers back to the ship.

The cars sit in the parking area until the VDC is ready for them. My MA says about a week at least, maybe a little longer.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Sorry, I've been pretty busy. The Pro Solo was last weekend, and I've been putting all my energy into getting ready for that and the upcoming NT.

Did pretty well in the Miata last weekend finishing 2nd to a Solstice. I actually won money! ($100 from Mazdaspeed and $200 from Kumho)

Mitch
Professional Race Car Driver (hehehehe!)

Old 08-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Way to go. Solstice? Bummer. They look like hamsters with their cheeks stuffed with nuts.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
pearface
1st Gear
GBMiniGirl "The S stripes have the pins" - right but also my other concerns were cost, the stripe not going all the way to the end, and wanting mine set wider apart. I am excited about getting some awesome after markets.

mitchman "my MA said that the boat should arrive at Port Humane (spelling) tomorrow (August 11th)" - DAMN, my MA told me TODAY that it arrived today.(at port humini) (i think that's what he said, i was mad that it was late) Can you confirm what actually happened?

I wasnt expecting to be this excited/annoyed at waiting. grrrrrr I can only pick up on the weekend so its looking like not this saturday but NEXT.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
pearface - welcome to the Auto Banner aka, "the row-boat from Southampton" club.

I hope our MINIs are as anxious as we are to meet their new owners!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Love your 'tude Astro!

Latest of AIS doesn't show Auto Banner on the map anymore. I have to believe she's unloaded, weighed anchor, and has moved on.

Focusing all thoughts now on the VDC!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
What a bunch of slackers we are! We allowed our thread to get pushed to the next page?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Blue baby
3rd Gear
Any updates on AutoBanner unloading?

Old 08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
GBMiniGirl
Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really been online.

Gromit, I think all those lucky PW28ers are out motoring and have no time left to type anymore! While I'm in a MINI loaner right now, it's just not the same. Actually, I'm stuck cleaning up the house after our my husband's stupid dog. He has a nervous habit: he shreds paper when the weather's bad. I guess we must have had one hell of a storm this week while we were at work!

Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMiniGirl
Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really been online.

Gromit, I think all those lucky PW28ers are out motoring and have no time left to type anymore! While I'm in a MINI loaner right now, it's just not the same. Actually, I'm stuck cleaning up the house after our my husband's stupid dog. He has a nervous habit: he shreds paper when the weather's bad. I guess we must have had one hell of a storm this week while we were at work!
Luck is on your side too. I've had nervous nellies who shredded (or reacted worse) more than that during storms.

Quick Reply: Production Week 28 (July 10) Support Group