1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro and a JCW question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro and a JCW question

Hi, my wife just bought an 06 MCa and isn't much on forums so I'm kind of being her representative. First of all she loves the car! She can't stop talking about it and driving it and I couldn't be happier for her.

I've always liked the Mini's since they came out and was thinking of buying one before my wife did. But, since she didn't have one she didn't want me to get one (not in a mean way, the married guys should get what I mean ). Anyway, now that she's gotten hers (and I've driven it) I'm thinking of getting one again.

What I'm trying to find out is what is the 1/4 mile time for a stock 05+ MCS with the JCW package? I've searched all kinds of threads with some info but couldn't find this specifically.

The reason I ask is because I currently have a Hyundai Tiburon with a few basic mods and my best time has been a 14.9 and I just need a little more. I'm kind of deciding between supercharging my Tib or getting a MCS. But if I get a Mini I'd rather not do any mods. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. And depending on the answer you guys may be seing a LOT more of me on these boards...

Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by sorensilk
Hi, my wife just bought an 06 MCa and isn't much on forums so I'm kind of being her representative. First of all she loves the car! She can't stop talking about it and driving it and I couldn't be happier for her.

I've always liked the Mini's since they came out and was thinking of buying one before my wife did. But, since she didn't have one she didn't want me to get one (not in a mean way, the married guys should get what I mean ). Anyway, now that she's gotten hers (and I've driven it) I'm thinking of getting one again.

What I'm trying to find out is what is the 1/4 mile time for a stock 05+ MCS with the JCW package? I've searched all kinds of threads with some info but couldn't find this specifically.

The reason I ask is because I currently have a Hyundai Tiburon with a few basic mods and my best time has been a 14.9 and I just need a little more. I'm kind of deciding between supercharging my Tib or getting a MCS. But if I get a Mini I'd rather not do any mods. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. And depending on the answer you guys may be seing a LOT more of me on these boards...
Should be good for about 14.5. 13 flat if you have stickers. Somebody correct me, quick!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Should be good for about 14.5. 13 flat if you have stickers. Somebody correct me, quick!
Go here http://www.ross-tech.net/andy/mini/d...artermile.html

looks like 14.2 - 14.7 (and I bet thats all in the driver)

Old 05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
Yeah, I tried looking at that page but was having trouble figuring out what was a stock JCW since I don't know every detail of the kit.

So 14.2 is probably possible, eh? Hmm, that's interesting because that's probably about where I could get with the stage S/C I was thinking of putting on my Tib plus the supporting mods like clutch, motor mounts, etc.

Cr@p, now I'm going to have to start seriously thinking...

Old 05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Yeah, I tried looking at that page but was having trouble figuring out what was a stock JCW since I don't know every detail of the kit.

So 14.2 is probably possible, eh?
The 14.2 car date was 6/04. The JCW kit didn't have the JCW CAI at the time or larger injectors (which is an 05 upgrade kit). It had a K&N filter (it looks like).

Further, an 06 car has different lower gearing than 04 cars allow for a bit more acceleration at the expense of higher top end (the usual tradeoff) ... so I would imagine an 06 car to be quicker than what has posted there (my guess).

Old 05-31-2006, 04:12 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the MINI!!!

(sorry... im an enabler.)

Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
(sorry... im an enabler.)
And a good one at that being a prime example of what can truly be one of the finest paint jobs every seen on any MINI ... that alone sells cars

Old 05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear

The '06 MCS-JCW was tested by Road and Track (April 2006) and recorded a 14.9 secs for the 1/4 mile @ 95.6 mph. I would guess the '05 should be similar.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I currently have a Hyundai Tiburon with a few basic mods...

..if I get a Mini I'd rather not do any mods.
Yeah... that won't last

In terms of cost, you already have the Tib. Upgrading would be cheaper than a new car. However, as with mod'd cars at the next level, drivability becomes a factor (glitches, tickets, etc).

A JCW MCS will have less power, will accelerate slightly quicker, and entirely be a completely different car.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
goin440
6th Gear
I currently have a Hyundai Tiburon with a few basic mods...

..if I get a Mini I'd rather not do any mods.
Yeah... that won't last

In terms of cost, you already have the Tib. Upgrading would be cheaper than a new car. However, as with mod'd cars at the next level, drivability becomes a factor (glitches, tickets, etc).

A JCW MCS will have less power, will accelerate slightly quicker, and entirely be a completely different "can of worms".

Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 PM
goin440
6th Gear
opps.... can of worms... whatever... hey mod, a little help please..?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
I'm still pretty torn. I think I'll probably just keep an eye out for what I'm looking for while I'm saving my money for the S/C on my Tiburon. If I come across the perfect Mini I'll probably just end up flying across the country one weekend and driving it back.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
sam.ben
1st Gear
another observation and question

Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
The '06 MCS-JCW was tested by Road and Track (April 2006) and recorded a 14.9 secs for the 1/4 mile @ 95.6 mph. I would guess the '05 should be similar.
That same article quoted a slower slalom speed and a greater braking distance than the "non JCW" Cooper S. Why would that be

Old 06-01-2006, 02:35 AM
NRKTect
1st Gear
I saved 10 grand by driving 300 miles... it took me two years but your sole mate is out there!

Get the mini and replace the pullies, CAI, Exhst, and maybe have your comp re mapped. all for just over a grand if you do the labor. Plus call me biased but I'd rather drive an MC than a turbo tib.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
Well, I've been rambling about this with my wife and since she just got her MCa I'm going to give here some time to enjoy it before I get one. So that means no Mini for me for a while.

So for the next six months or so I'll be lurking on these boards probably every day and saving up my pennies. My paypal account has turned into a supercharge the Tib or buy a MCS fund. So far I've got almost $1000. If she makes me wait long enough I may just have enough to twincharge a Mini.

Hehe, see everyone around...