1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To chrono or not to chrono....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM
bluminiboy
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i didn't get the nav system, i would have gone with the chrono pack. I'm not a fan of the speedo in the middle. It doesn't prove functional to me. I can't check my speed conveniently if it's in the middle. So I need the speedo on top of the steering column. But to each his own.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 AM
creseida
4th Gear
I am one who likes a complete gauge package. One of the most frutrating things I went through when I ordered my JCW Mini was, how do I get all the gauges they offer? The answer: You can't.

They offer 3 different gauge packages, but you can't get all three, because of the varying configurations. This means you cannot get all gauges available.

The various gauges available are:
~SC Boost
~Water Temp
~Oil Temp
~Oil Pressure
~Battery Voltage

If you get the Chrono package, you cannot get the aux steering column gauges, meaning you cannot get a boost gauge at all. You get oil temp, oil pressure and water temp with the Chrono OR you can get a boost gauge and battery voltage with the aux. steering gauges.

If you get the aux. gauge package that goes below the toggles you get battery voltage and ANOTHER water temp gauge, to duplicate the one in the Chrono pack.

If you opt only for the two aux. gauge packages, you get TWO voltage gauges, a water temp gauge and a boost gauge. If you don't get either of the aux. gauge packages, you cannot get a voltage gauge or a boost gauge.

How hard would it have been to simply have the aux gauges below the toggles have battery voltage and boost?

I did buy the Chrono package for my mini, and I'm going to see about buying the gauge bezel that goes below the toggles and installing a boost and volt gauge myself.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Minitee
4th Gear
I have the Chrono Pack and am happy with it. I know some people think it violates the MINI spirit in some way, but I like the placement of the speedometer where I can see the needle sweeping right in front of me and not glancing away from the center of point of view.

I also like having the extra gauges the Chrono Pack provides of course, but I considered the movement of the speedometer just as important. I talked to one MINI shopper who actually was not going to get a MINI due to the speedometer placement. I mentioned the Chrono pack and he's considering it again. Its all personal preference and its just part of the great thing with MINIs that there are so many options.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Red
6th Gear
Heated seats are nice if you have back troubles as well. I sometimes turn them on with the a/c on if my back hurts, They are worth it especially if you are not getting a cloth interior. Now my wife wants a heated wheel and gear shift ****!

And the speedometer belongs in the middle on a Mini (my 66 MCS as well).
It's as big as pie plate, so you can't miss it. But that is the beauty of these cars, you custom build them to your taste.

regards,
Red

Old 06-11-2006, 09:12 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Boo to the chrono pack. Yay for the cold weather pack!

The heated seats are wonderful, tho I haven't really gotten a chance to truly try them out.

The speedo thing takes getting used to, but.. Hey, I'm used to it already, after only a few hundred miles. One tip is to NOT use the digital speed readout on the tach. Never get accustomed to glancing at the center speedo with the digital readout..

Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
06minihead
Neutral
Wish you could get the chrono in the center but not get the spedo on the wheel. Ohh well gues will just have to live with the spedo in the center.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:25 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
have you seen the chrono package first hand? It really depends on how you drive, your willingness to adjust to the classic mini mannerisms, your taste for gadgets, etc..

Personally i didnt really like the chronos. It looked a bit cheap IMHO. Luckily I was able to go for the NAV (was debating the NAV versus Auto for my wife... luckily most europeans are comfortable with a clutch unlike us lazy americans :O) ) But alas, NAV is the single most expensive options outside of the JCW mods.

Also, if you havent noticed... cars outside of america have had the speedometer in the center dash for quite some time now. It is only in the past few years that they've come to America...

If you are stuck in the old ways, get the chrono and it moves the speedo to the steering column.. Like i said it all depends on how willing you are to embrace the classic mini (characteristic of the cooper) versus what you are used to.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:36 PM
toddm
1st Gear
Chrono looks like an after thought.

I'm glad to hear you canceled the Chrono. I personally think it looks like a cheap giant gauge with instruments placed in the circle for the sack of filling the space. The mini trademark is the center Speedo and I think it just makes a mini a mini. Even the Nav looks like an after thought with a the rectangle in the circle. Now if they made the nave look like james bond radar with a circular screen that would be different.

Originally Posted by jmmas
Thanks for all the input. I ended up cancelling the chrono and getting the cold weather pkg. I big determining factor was the look of the speedo in the middle. I decided I wanted to keep it there and didn't need the novelty items from the chrono pack.

So, if I dont get the OBC, I wont get the digital read out on the tach for my speed? I suppose thats not a huge deal and could probably live with it.