1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Name options

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Name options

So I'm back from my 6-day trek across the country with my new '06 MCS. Tons of fun!

Anyway, now I'm at the dilemma of trying to decide on 1) a name for the car and 2) a vanity plate

My (jealous) girlfriend wants to call the car "Hildegard" (makes more sense if you know that I'm Norwegian), which is, at least, very unique

On my trip we drove through at least 3 different spectacular thunderstorms, so my friend suggested the car should be named "Thor" (Norse god of thunder). It was our working name for the car during the trip. I like it, except it's a male name...

check 06mcs.blogspot.com for pictures... (more to come as soon as blogger.com gets their servers back online!)

as for the vanity plate, I have a whole list of options. I'll post once I've narrowed it down to a few (don't want anyone taking my ideas first! ;-)

I'm open to suggestions, though.

For example, "o-ron" or "thor" or something more explicitly "MINI"

Old 06-07-2006, 01:53 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Just my opinion & you asked not a big fan of thor. Hildegard is kinda nice & you could call her Hildy for short

Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by o-ron
Anyway, now I'm at the dilemma of trying to decide on 1) a name for the car and 2) a vanity plate
I would say this, which has been discussed many times before ...

Do not pick a name for you car. Your car will let you know its name when it decides to tell you its name.

Sound funny? Its not.

My wife has always named cars ... it not just a "MINI" thing. She immediately gave the car a name. The MINI did NOT like its name ... too feminine (although she is female). She quickly let us know that. You see, she likes "bling" but also likes "performance".

Sometimes, we feel she is just about to tell us but then backs off undecided.

My advice is to let your MINI tell you its name when its ready ... otherwise he or she may get upset with you. After all, you picked your screen name, would you like it if your screen named was given to you? Wouldn't you get upset? MINIs can be tempermental, ya know!

Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
ybavg
3rd Gear
Hildy is a great name!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally think "Thor" is the way to go. I'm a male and my car's name is "Rudy". Never gave it any thought about the gender of my cars name, more of what just fit.

Did a search on a norwegian translator and "Lyn" is the norwegian word for thunder. So maybe that would work.

Or how bout Else or Runa or Sonja

Anyway good lcuk

Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How about "Gretchan" or is that too Swedish? I agree with Chow. I thought of several names to use (some were already taken by the vanity plates), and then one day I looked at the car and decided on the name. (see below)

Old 06-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Hu99
4th Gear
Funny how some see their MINI as female as others see it as male. Mine is Simon and I think his personality is that of a 12 year old boy. Always up for a game, fun loving, slightly silly but still old enough to flirt for the ladies.
Simon let me know his name too......dunno how, but after considering Nigel for the two years I was thinking of buying a MINI, Simon just sprang to mind after a couple of days ownership.

IMHO Thor doesn't fit, but Hildegard sounds right. As for your plate, I haven't settled on one myself yet so I couldn't help you there. In BC we only get 6 letters so our options are very limited.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hu99
Simon let me know his name too......
And that is how it should be Cool.

BTW, as to vanity plates, there are several threads on exactly that question too, its been discussed extensively, perhaps a quick look at them will help you

Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
And that is how it should be Cool.

BTW, as to vanity plates, there are several threads on exactly that question too, its been discussed extensively, perhaps a quick look at them will help you
I've been reading through those

I guess I'll just give it some more time...

I have to license my car soon, though, and I'm thinking that a vanity plate that's the name of the car might be not very understandable/practical.

Anyway.. just thinking out loud here

Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
KatrinaSurvivor
Neutral
Let your Mini pick her name

Dear O-ron,
I just joined Northamericanmotoring today and saw the pics of your Mini. What a beautiful design, the most unique I've seen since returning from overseas. Re: picking a name for your car - I must agree with ChowsRUs. Let your car pick her name. I've always named my vehicles, & my husband's, AFTER they let me know what their name was. After seeing pics of your Mini, can't agree with Hildegard (sounds like a yellow Cadillac) or Thor (sounds like a Hummer - ewwwww ). Cute names for a different car, eh?

My black MCS with cobalt blue/black leather/anthracite interior is "Toots", which just came up while driving a friend to the beach at San Vito Lo Capo in Sicily. It's stuck ever since. Toots is a tough cookie. She survived getting shipped to the U.S. headed for the port of New Orleans, getting marooned in Freeport, Bahamas waiting out Katrina, getting diverted to Houston and stored while I returned to Sicily for a Mini-less year.

How 'bout "Twinkle", as in "twinkle, twinkle, Little Star"? Fits your car's beautiful metallic colors. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KatrinaSurvivor
Dear O-ron,
I just joined Northamericanmotoring today and saw the pics of your Mini. What a beautiful design, the most unique I've seen since returning from overseas. Re: picking a name for your car -

How 'bout "Twinkle", as in "twinkle, twinkle, Little Star"? Fits your car's beautiful metallic colors. Good luck!
Good thoughts, but I think "twinkle" might be a bit *too* cutesy

I like the idea of capturing the silver/sparkle/shiny aspect of the car, though...

Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Paper Name vs. Pet Name

We gave MIB its name the day we ordered it. That is the official paper name. Like what might be read by the announcer at the Westminster Kenel Club Show. Rarely are the dogs calleb by that name.

MrsDiff and I have several pet names for MIB. None of us have decided on an official pet name.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Good thoughts, but I think "twinkle" might be a bit *too* cutesy

I like the idea of capturing the silver/sparkle/shiny aspect of the car, though...
Argento...Italian for silver. Couldn't find a Norwegian translator, but what's silver in the fine Nordic tongue?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Doogs
Argento...Italian for silver. Couldn't find a Norwegian translator, but what's silver in the fine Nordic tongue?
sølv

a little tricky to make a vanity plate

Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Pep'r
1st Gear
Not that our name is really creative... but it hit us and stuck like a bug on fly paper. Once I decided that I wanted a Pepper White, we went to the dealership so that my husband could see what the color looked like. Our Mini was in the showroom, so maybe she whispered it to us... who knows... but soon after that the name Pep'r came to us. It is a multi-functional name 1) it is her color 2) indicative of her joy of acceleration... she's got pep!

I guess in a sense... she told us what our screen name should be

Old 06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
I personally think "Thor" is the way to go. I'm a male and my car's name is "Rudy". Never gave it any thought about the gender of my cars name, more of what just fit.
x2. I like Thor. I named my MINI "Gizmo" and it just stuck one day. Don't let other people decide for you, you will eventually find a name, you just have to be patient. The right name will click and you will know.

-Cody

Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Hu99
4th Gear
sølv

a little tricky to make a vanity plate
A little gaffer tape and voila!

Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Chuck in Indiana
1st Gear
Hey, o-ron.. Gator told me his name after only a week or so. I've only had one other car that did that. Be patient, it'll tell you soon enough.
For a vanity plate, "PB4UGO"
Chuck in Indiana croc#82 Gator

Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
hildy is nice...

you took a road trip in the break in period?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bamatt
Just my opinion & you asked not a big fan of thor. Hildegard is kinda nice & you could call her Hildy for short
I have a friend his name is Hildebrandt, we call him Hildey

Im thinking about Eddie, but nothing elsae comes to mind.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:32 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Originally Posted by acitydweller
hildy is nice...

you took a road trip in the break in period?
Yep, 2600 mile roadtrip back home! It was fantastic!! I was *super* gentle with the car during the first 300 miles and then was slowly revving it out incrementally higher and higher (and letting it rev down, and then taking time to cool it off). By the time I hit 1200 miles I was revving it to about 5000 rpm(exercising a little bit of that "performance" break-in method )

At about 1000 miles I started testing the cornering abilities. And at 1500 miles it was full on FUN

Old 06-10-2006, 10:44 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Not to double post, but I thought I'd pull these over from my post in the Vanity Plates thread. I've narrowed them down a bit based on feedback from here and friends/family:

1SMLCAR

GOMNIGO

ACTLSIZ

QVKSLVR

MOTR ON

Old 06-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Pep'r
1st Gear
o-ron, here is my two cents...

1SMLCAR - cute
GOMNIGO - funny and original (at least I haven't seen a ton of "mini" accessories with this logo
ACTLSIZ - also funny, but I have noticed a lot of stickers on minis with this logo
QVKSLVR - cool... nice pics by the way
MOTR ON - not original at all... it is on everything mini and chances are that someone else already has it on their license plate

Good luck!
Debbie

Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 PM
creseida
4th Gear
I have to laugh at Hildegaard... I have a Forest Green 1966 International Harvester Loadstar 1600 with a horse box on the back. Her name is Hildegaard; Hilda for short.

For me, I imagined a big burly Viking/Norse woman who would push her way through traffic. Believe me, when Hilda's coming, everyone gets out of her way.

And with that imagery, she named herself on Day 2

Old 06-14-2006, 05:06 AM
Neverfifty
3rd Gear
Well this is my first post and my '06 MCS Convertible is just going to production, but I can feel the name already. Since I will have the Union Jack Flag on the side view mirrors, it is going to be "Winston" after Churchill.
Gosh I don't think August will ever get here!

Quick Reply: MINI Name options