1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

run flats vs. NOT run flats

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
the Bridgstone RE050A is NOT a runflat tire. The Bridgestone RE050A RFT is. As I look over the tire rack website, there is no way to really sort out the difference between the rating and exactly what tire was run.
I know. Its a bit confusing. You got to go to the RE050A RFT and click on http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentSta tus=P&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+RFT&partnum=045WR7RE050ARFT&vehicleSearch=true&f romCompare1=yes&place=1

There are not enuff reviews to place that tire in the actual survey, just mostly good comments. Since that tire has only been out since Feb, we need to so out it plays out in a year.

As to eating a set of tire in 7 months

Old 06-15-2006, 02:49 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverdragon
my 02 S curretnly has perelli run flats...the have started leaking ...one more then the others..i have heard this happens. Opinions on replacement tires...not necessarily run flats...heard there are better options for us, weight and ride-wise....
anyone..?? Opinions..?? places to buy in Southern New England?
BFG/KDW 2 just my 2 cents non runflats & get a kit.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
As to eating a set of tire in 7 months
Well, I was driving over 20k miles in a year.... And even though it was 7 months, it was 11,000 miles. I didn't rotate them enough, and took the outer edges on the fronts to pretty much nothing. The two rears looked pretty good though!

Matt

Old 06-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will tell you this, the faster the car/truck, the better they handle, the MORE RUBBER you'll go through.

I do not know if the Mini is the first High Performance car for most but I have had my share, Mustang GT, Camaro IROC-Z, Cougar XR-7, even the Ford Focus ZX-3 and 2500HD(lots of HP) we have right now. Tires DO NOT LAST we tend to take turns fast and we are quick off the line. The Focus and truck usually goes through a set of tires a year and my truck has 265 E-rated tires. All three of the older cars had Goodyear Gator backs and they did not last long at all.

I am trying to say that these are great handling and fast little cars. Your probably not aware that you are taking the turns a bit faster than the Crown Vic. And this has nothing to do with RFs or non RFs.

But if you have been behind the wheel of cars like these before than the lack of tire life is nothing new.

This is a fact of life.

Like someone said, this is a debate that has been beating with a wet noddle over and over again. And there will be no winners.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:50 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eVal
My gosh, I just put the wheels with runflats on again* and was completely appalled by how awful it was - it felt like I was running on square tires made of stone - bad ride, bad grip, bad performance, blech. I had forgotten just how cruddy they were compared to the better rubber and light wheels I had on. The KDWs may be horridly noisy but they are certainly more fun then the runflats!

*I had the S-lites before with RFs and now have the smaller X-lites with RFs - I thought they would be better then the larger ones sinced they are lighter and, I think, have more sidewall but they certainly do not feel better :(
Really, Val? I've driven many of my pals' MCSs with non-runflats, and my Dunlop SP5000s mounted on the OEM x-lites are not at all as you describe. I find the ride smooth, they have good grip, and since I have the rear swaybar, the performance and handling on the RFs is fantastic. This is really a matter of personal preference, for sure. But again, the nature of my travels make runflats my best choice. And the 16s are nowhere near as expensive as the 17s. I am very pleased with mine.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Pep'r
I
Like someone said, this is a debate that has been beating with a wet noddle over and over again. And there will be no winners.
Everyone who has his/her choice of tires are winnners.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meanboy
Everyone who has his/her choice of tires are winnners.
You are correct!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM
domc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the thing I've noticed with our 3 week old Mini is a lot of road noise.
For the regular person it's very apparent but since we own a Mustang GT and a Jeep and a heavy pickup truck, we are used to it.

Mini actually rides the smoothest out of all our cars even over bumps with the runflats. It's a firm ride but way different than our Mustang.