1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the heck do you choose???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 PM
MORTRBL
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the heck do you choose???

I am supposed to order Wednesday (6/14) and I have no idea how to decide on a color. They all look great! How did you decide???

(PW? CR?? BRG??? Help!)

Old 06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JulieAnn1270
I am supposed to order Wednesday (6/14) and I have no idea how to decide on a color. They all look great! How did you decide???

(PW? CR?? BRG??? Help!)
Since you asked, First, go see all the colors in person. You really can't tell from pictures.

Other than that, I can say that MINIs only come in CR/W (and all the rest are mistakes) thats been said like a million times.

Whatever strikes your fancy but I would see them in person. For example PW isnt a true white and doesn't tickle my fancy.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:56 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
For example PW isnt a true white and doesn't tickle my fancy.
Tickle my fancy....

Anyway, do what Chow said and go look at them in person. They will pop and you will know which one you want. I absolutly HATE red, but leaving work on saturday (I work at the stealer) I noticed a CR/W MCS sitting there with bonnet stripes and driving lamps. Man did that thing look good....

-Cody

Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by polizei
Tickle my fancy....

-Cody
That is why you got to look at them in person! Everyone likes different things. Thats what makes a horse race

Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
The Royal Gray is something that must be seen in person. The web doesn't do it justice. Space blue and Astro Black (My favorite) also must be seen in person. And don't just look at the color chip in the dealer under flourescent lights. Go out and see the color under nautral sunlight. If they don't have that color in stock take the chip outside. Another thing is that the darker colors (Astro Black, Bavarian Racing Green) also tend to hide the black trim on the wheel arches.

Then ask to take the chip for the contrasting roof should you decide to go that option. A Black roof hide the sunroof should you want a sunroof. If you want to put a flag or other roof graphic, you might be better off going with a white roof.

You also didn't say if you were interested in a MC, MCS, MCc, or MCSc. Some colors are only available on the MCS(c) (Dark Silver) or on the drop tops (Hot Orange or Cool Blue).

If you like the classic bonnet stripe looks you can save money by going to a local Vinyl graphics shop and get them to cut you some 4 inch wide strips and then use pin stripe from say AutoZone or wally mart etc. I bet that you could get three sets of stripes this way for the cost of ordering them from the factory or having the dealer in stall them. The dealers now offer stripe kits to go over the roof on to the boot. However they cut the right rear stripe to fit over the Cooper letters. This is where I would remove the letters and replace them on top of the vinyl should you decide to go this route yourself.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
miniprof
4th Gear
In defense of PW - it's a gorgeous color when you see it outside. I suggest you take a look in person, and just go with your heart. One color will call to you, and you just need to go with it! Remember, there's no such thing as an ugly MINI!!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with all the advice above: you must see the colors in person at the dealership in the sunlight to get a true idea. The internet just doesn't do them justice. Good luck with whatever you choose....they are all beautiful colors!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
ybavg
3rd Gear
I also agree...you must go to the dealership!

I had a difficult time deciding until I spotted my PW/b in
the showroom!! I fell in love!

You'll know when you find your perfect MINI!

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
polizei
6th Gear
A good example would be PW. PW can look NASTY in the wrong light, or when it shows dirt (though it's hard being white)...but in the right light, and with a color coded Aero Kit PW looks AMAZING.

Each color is awesome and has their own characteristics!

Here is a couple of good examples:

Jet Black:

HB:

-Cody

Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
creseida
4th Gear
Don't get Space Blue...we can't have TWO of us running around Frednecksburg!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can never decide.....

First car I wanted a BRG.....then went Pure Silver..........then to Dark Silver......The second one I wanted Hyper Blue told it wasn't available at the time thought about BRG and ended up with Dark Silver again.......on the 3rd car I went to Astro Black......Space Blue.......ended up with Space Blue......then I saw Royal Gray w/silver roof........DOH!

Whatever you get you will love it

Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
T2Nav
3rd Gear
Hi Julie,

I ordered my MCS three hours ago. I am eagerly awaiting the email that will have more details, production number, and whatever secret code words get me into the MC web site thingy.

We showed up with a list of several colors that impressed us. We scrutinized the cars for which colors said "fun", which said "fancy car", which showed dust/dirt really bad, and which color, despite the fancy name, is, well, brown. In the end we were left with the scheme that I liked from the beginning-- dark silver with the light silver roof/mirrors.

Note that all stripes are not alike. The standard black & white stripes look a lot like stickers. Make sure to wander around your mini dealership and see what sorts of special stripe-patterns and stripe materials are in use. One silver mini in Albuquerque had a dull, dull grey stripe that looked hideous. A hyper blue mini next to it had a stripe of brilliant metallic silver, a perfect match for the pure-silver roofs. So on my dark silver/silver car, I'll have the standard mini stripes done in bright silver. I made sure to be very specific about this on the spec sheet.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
take one of each! You have to go with your gut feeling on what you really want. I had a hard decision and started out with Silver and ended up with PW/B and love it. so many choices! Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide

Old 06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Sorry, can't help you, JulieAnn. You'll have to dig deep for this one. Go to the dealership and see which speaks to you, your personality, and what you key into with your MINI.

I chose Indi Blue because there were few MINIs around in late '02 and I didn't want a color that screamed out too loudly (my personality isn't really that way either ). I also loved the look of Indi Blue w/ all that chrome trim and amber turn signals. Still do.

As a wildly fascinating historical aside I might add that the classic Mini I was in the process of looking at when I bought my MINI was also blue/white. I wanted something dignified and traditional....but still cheeky.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
My sig will show my favourite color, but I consider the white of the MINI (PW) to be my favourite white colour. PW/B is a great combination. I wish the BRG were British Racing Green and not Bavarian Racing Green (my preference in that colour would be in non-metallic). Still, love the BRG/W and BRG/B both.

I consider whether a car looks good in white to be a good indicator of how good the body design is since I don't like white cars, but a Porsche 911 to me looks great in white. MINI is one other car that shares that distinction for me. Along those lines, I think MINIs look great in any of the colours offered - unlike some cars.

You definitely have to see them in person to decide. On that I think we all agree. I went back and forth a bit, but when I see my CR/W with white bonnet stripe car I can't imagine having one in any other colour.

Vive le difference!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't decide either, so I'm just buying a different one every two years 'till I've tried all the colors . . .

Old 06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
sddave
3rd Gear
It is a very difficult choice indeed. I agree with all of the previous posts, the colors on the web site are not close to reality. Go to the dealer and look at actual cars and if the color scheme is not there take the color disks in the sun and take along the different colors you may want for the roof.

I originally wanted hyper blue with a white roof until I saw the space blue + silver color disks in the sun. Once I got my MINI, I liked the colors are even more. Plus, if you get the web spokes, the silver middle of the rims actually matches the silver roof, quite a nice suprise when I first saw them.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
If I had to choose today from today's available colors. . . I'd get BRG with a silver roof.

But who cares what I think? Go with the color combo that moves you the most.

And remember, when you are motoring, you really can't see what color your MINI is unless you have a color coded dash. . . .

Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 PM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Classy. Sophisticated. Serious. Royal Grey!

Again, it doesn't come across good in the pic, but in person its amazing.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
checker
2nd Gear
I agree with all the people that said go to the dealership and you'll know what's for you. I originally intended to buy the hyper with black bonnet stripe but when I went to the dealership I saw the hyper blue right next to a space blue with silver top/stripe. I knew then that I have to have the Space blue with silver top/stripe. Goodluck on your choice and I'm sure you'll pick the right one for you.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:54 AM
jman1
2nd Gear
all the other cars we have are silver

Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Sometimes its a decision of what colors you dont want ... this will help narrow your focus on a color. I know i wanted several colors and going to the dealership only made it worse

Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Lucky for me it was my wife's car, so it was her choice. Otherwise, I'd still be debating what color to get.

As for deciding on the color, as soon as she saw the PW/B in person it was a done deal. I should mention that Daves pictures did play a part in narrowing down the list...http://www.motoringphotography.com/main/