1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prestige - Cashier's Check Okay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 AM
dwj5
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestige - Cashier's Check Okay?

Greetings all! I'm just a couple of days from picking up my long awaited Hyper Blue MCS!

I've decided to finance it on my own because of a better rate through my credit union.

However, my MA very specifically pointed out that along with not being able to use a bank draft ,the check had to be a "certified document". I undertand the whole bit about a bank draft thanks to a previous thread (great info, thanks! )but have a question about the whole "certified document" choice of words. Some institutions use the terms certified check and cashier's check interchangeably, and some consider them two different types of documents with the certified check having greater safeguards in place...

So my question is: Has anyone out there paid for their Mini from Prestige with a cashier's check, or are they one of those places that don't use the terms as interchangeable and require a true certified check?

Being ever so suspicious I'm also hoping to confirm that this isn't an 11th our tactic to make things more difficult on my end so I'm forced to accept Mini financing.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy motoring!

Old 06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Hey dwj5,

I'm about to do the same in a few days from Prestige as well. I was just planning on getting a bank check. Call your MA and ask if a bank check or money order will do. Banks charge different fees for different types of checks.

by the way - are you totally pysched!

Swizzle
Stir it up!

Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM
bolus
4th Gear
I wrote a personal check for 1/3 of the cost of the car and brought another check directly from the credit union for the rest. My dealer took both without any questions.

I dont see what the big deal is. I doubt they have many new Mini owners bouncing $20K checks

Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Minitee
4th Gear
My MINI purchase at a different dealership went through no problems with a check from my credit union. It shouldn't be any problem.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto. Dealer in VA, I had a check from Navy Fed Credit Union from pre approved loan good for any amount up to $X. I.E. the amount I requested plus about 10-20% in case I added anything on. The MA's aren't usually all the most knowledgeable about this stuff. I think at most dealers they normally hand off the customer to the 'finance' guy or gal when you get to the money part of the pick up.

If any doubts find the finance person who'll be accepting it, or talk to your credit union. They should be able to tell you if many dealers balk.

Of course, be prepared to say NO to the finance guy a lot. At my dealer he's the one who tries to sell undercoating, invisishield (at triple the $), lo jack, extended warrenties, nuclear proof floor mats, franchises for ice cream shops at the north pole, and term life insurance.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 AM
dwj5
4th Gear
issue settled

Originally Posted by mmatarella
At my dealer he's the one who tries to sell undercoating, invisishield (at triple the $), lo jack, extended warrenties, nuclear proof floor mats, franchises for ice cream shops at the north pole, and term life insurance.
LOL...nuclear proof floor mats might actually appeal to me.

I put the issue to rest by talking to my MA again. Cashier's check is fine. I think I'm just a bit anxious about delivery (yippee!!) and when that happens I tend to be a little OCD about checking details, then double checking...triple checking...then checking again...oh, and once more for good measure...

Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 AM
dwj5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by swizzle
by the way - are you totally pysched!
Swizzle,

I'm totally psyched! The weather is supposed to be bright and sunny this weekend so it will be perfect for our first weekend of motoring!

Are you picking up Saturday? I'll probably see you there since I was told they only do deliveries first thing in the morning.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Hmmm... I bought my car at the dealer here in Charlotte... I wrote them a personal check for the whole amount. I also asked them to hold it a couple of days while the funds were transfered to my checking account. They had no problem doing this... I can't imagine why a MO or cashiers check won't be sufficient.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, go over it good!

Especially look for any scuffs or imperfections in the finish. It's eay to miss things when you're excited.

I ordered space grey cloth, and didn't notice till almost a hour after I left the dealer that the car had leatherette! Similar color scheme but still. They swapped em for me a few days later.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
I don't have a date yet, the ship lands on Monday night-Tuesday and according to my MA, it could actually be at the dealer by Wednesday. I'm doubtful about that but I'll be ready just in case. At best, I'm guessing a week from this Saturday (June 24th).

Swizzle
Stir it Up!

Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dwj5
LOL...nuclear proof floor mats might actually appeal to me.

I put the issue to rest by talking to my MA again. Cashier's check is fine. I think I'm just a bit anxious about delivery (yippee!!) and when that happens I tend to be a little OCD about checking details, then double checking...triple checking...then checking again...oh, and once more for good measure...
I had done all this extensive preplanning prior to delivery day. I had all these detailed steps to check the car and make sure everything was perfect...

Then I got there and forgot it all because I was so gitty with excitement. All I could think was "let me have it, let me have it, let me have it....."

Then a few days later I remembered all those things I wanted to check. They could have given me a car without an engine or wheels and I dont think I would have noticed

Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
sddave
3rd Gear
When I first order my MINI, I asked and my MA said they would only accept a certified check. Then the week my MINI arrived at VDC, I called and they said a personal check would be okee dokee.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I deal alot with cashiers checks, wires, money orders everyday. In the area I am in usually a cashiers check must be banked overnight before it is good funds due to the fact that you can place a stop payment on that check. Money orders....well those are a max of $500 each. A bank wire is good funds on the day it is received so check with the finance guy at your dealer and see exactly what is acceptable for their company policies. Good luck and happy Motoring!!