1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last of the 06's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
koldkoala
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last of the 06's?

Hi long time lurker 1st time poster(duh), for the last 2 years I've been putting away for a MCS and finally I've just finished college and plan on purchasing my MCS. But due to unforseen circumstances I had to use a portion of my savings to help a friend out. Luckily he'll pay me back the amount in about 7 weeks. I want to order my mini and put down a chunk for the car then. But after reading around I am worried they'll stop taking orders for the 06 models. I want to know if it would be possible to order one mid/late July? I live in the Bay Area and called the Mountain View dealership and they told me that October was the last of the 06's. It seems kind of far down, wouldn't they already switch to the 07's by then?

BTW this will be my first Brand new car in my life, and I can't wait!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by koldkoala
Hi long time lurker 1st time poster(duh), for the last 2 years I've been putting away for a MCS and finally I've just finished college and plan on purchasing my MCS. But due to unforseen circumstances I had to use a portion of my savings to help a friend out. Luckily he'll pay me back the amount in about 7 weeks. I want to order my mini and put down a chunk for the car then. But after reading around I am worried they'll stop taking orders for the 06 models. I want to know if it would be possible to order one mid/late July? I live in the Bay Area and called the Mountain View dealership and they told me that October was the last of the 06's. It seems kind of far down, wouldn't they already switch to the 07's by then?

BTW this will be my first Brand new car in my life, and I can't wait!
It really does depend on your dealership, but most of the last orders will be taken in late-July or during August I believe. Last BUILDING is in October...

You don't need to put anything down but the deposit to place your order, so you could place it now and tell them when you actually want to take delivery (probably up until October). I placed my order June 10th, but won't actually be taking delivery until mid-late September, per my own request. That way, you get one of the dealer's 'slots' and then they just put in the order about the right time to get it delivered on your desired date! By doing this, you can save up your money still and have the funds ready for delivery a few months down the line...

Check with your dealer - I don't think you'll have a problem ordering late July.

This will be my first 'brand new' car too... it is very exciting!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Dealers receive allocations about 5-6 weeks prior to the month in which cars are to be built. If they haven't already ready received their allocations for August builds they soon will. Deliveries occur 4-8 weeks following build depending on where the dealer is located. A deposit of $500 to $1000 should hold an allocation slot.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
As others have said, you don't have to pay for the car when you order. Most dealers require a $500 deposit, which is fully refundable if for whatever reason you are unable to take delivery.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
swizzle
3rd Gear
I asked my dealer the same question because I wanted an '06. He advised that I order it in May-June...then again he might have been a good salesman and saw an anxious buyer. The plant does have a summer shutdown for vacations and they will be retooling the plant for the new model soon. I wouldn't wait too long if you want an '06 version.

Swizzle
Stir it up!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
I just ordered an '06 MC from Northwest MINI with the checkmate package. There's a 3 month waiting list for MCs and 12 for MCSs. My MA thinks I'll just make it for the checkmate package but I'm not so confident. As suggested on Motoringfile and WRR, they may increase allocations for the US dealers to deal with the '06 to '07 switch lull this fall. So I'm hoping NW MINI gets a substantial boost in allocs and I a boost in production and delivery date.

Lastly two MAs tolds me they'll know more by the end of the month.