1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my JCW just went out of warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my JCW just went out of warranty...

and it is bone stock. I'd been lurking in the shadows as an unregistered user, afraid to enter the deep, dark waters of the modified MINI. Now that there's nothing to lose (except my sanity) and everything to gain, I'm ready to come into the light and ask the fateful question, "where do I begin?"

Old 06-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Android993
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where?? Open up that check book, whats the limit on the credit cards?? Yippie!! Now you can really have fun!!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Start taking in some of those local "Mod Parties" offered by OutMotoring [Aaron], DetroitTuned [Chad], or WayMotorWorks [Waylen]. They are offered by great people who as as enthusiastic about working on your car as you are about taking that "next leap".

Old 06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
i would suggest assessing yoru budget and go from there. this should help narrow down what to do first.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeCool
and it is bone stock. I'd been lurking in the shadows as an unregistered user, afraid to enter the deep, dark waters of the modified MINI. Now that there's nothing to lose (except my sanity) and everything to gain, I'm ready to come into the light and ask the fateful question, "where do I begin?"
I'll tell you what not to do any time soon is a software mod. I'd do wheel/tires and suspension first. Start with the rear swaybar don't get to small but you don't need the biggest either. I think the Webb Extreme bar is a GREAT all around bar but it is some $$, so it's not for everyone.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What to do first? Figure out what you want from your car...

Show car?
Track car?
Drag car?
Autocross car?

Step 2: figure out what aspect of your car is keeping it from being what you want it to be.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 PM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
I'm thinking of baby steps first, to correct percieved problems. The biggest gripe I have is the first gear stumble. Especially with the aircon going, it can turn stoplights into pretty embarrassing situations. Who's great idea was it to go to throttle by wire, anyway? I've read about engine mounts, coils & wires, and even getting the JCW upgrade as possible solutions. I'm getting the injectors and box eventually anyway, but what else has worked? I'm not looking for an autoX'r or a drag car (not yet, anyway) just a daily driver that can give you a grin when the loud pedal hits the floor. I'm also cheap, so things like the VGS sound like a cool way to start tinkering. Stumble first, then a few more ponies next.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, I can tell you first hand that the JCW set-up is great as is. I would do sway bar and an ALTA or M7 AGS. Then I would stop. oh is this post about you.... I was thinking about what I should have done

Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Yeah, I can see by your sig that you've shown a lot of restraint. You aren't the first to suggest a swaybar as a good first step. Is the difference that pronounced?

Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
lol i think k9mini is trying to offer the wisdom of experience and money spent...

Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
lol i think k9mini is trying to offer the wisdom of experience and money spent...

Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
No doubt! Thanks K9Mini. So, what first to mod? Say, a $250 part limit, little mechanical skill (but willing to try anything short of a tranny replacement), no special tools, and looking for more fun on the daily drive? Suggestions? And I swear that I'll stop before I get addicted.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 AM
gowest
4th Gear
So, what first to mod? Say, a $250 part limit, little mechanical skill (but willing to try anything short of a tranny replacement), no special tools, and looking for more fun on the daily drive? Suggestions? And I swear that I'll stop before I get addicted.
You've just described a sway bar mod.

My JCW 210 kit eliminated any 1st gear stumble, I had, so I'm sorry to hear you still have it.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
I've looked into the swaybar since I started this thread, and the installation looks pretty involved. Not difficult, just...heavy. And, at least one person on NAM reported alignment problems after install. Can this be done by just one person? It looks like there are several vendors selling sway bars- some hollow, some forged, some heavy and some light. The better ones all seem to have at least 2 or 3 adjustment holes, and they all fall within my budget (except Webb's super monster setup at over $400(sigh)). I've found three different measurments: 22mm, 22mm "effective"(ie: hollow) and 19mm. Aside from construction, are they "all the same"? Is one easier to install than another or has anyone heard of catastrophic failures?

Old 06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BEFORE you do anything, I strongly suggest you read https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=55669

This question has been asked before (by me) and the consensus of those who have been doing extensive work is NOT to do anything before you get a port and polished head. Adding headers, larger TB, CAM, etc wont add up to much without a better head.

Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Ok- a bit of confusion here. I thought the JCW came with some kind of "improved" head as part of the kit. If they didn't do some kind of porting/polishing, and if they didn't increase valve size, what did they do?

Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Ok- a bit of confusion here. I thought the JCW came with some kind of "improved" head as part of the kit. If they didn't do some kind of porting/polishing, and if they didn't increase valve size, what did they do?
It does, but some have said that it not the best of job's

I have a H/sport R/Sway Bar middle hole for now love the ride.
Dropped the s/lights and R/Flats(50lbs) for A/M wheels/tires they are not the lightest wheel/tire combo (42.5lbs)

Next JCW suspension

Scott

Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Read https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=jcw+head

its not a true port and polished head.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
If you have the cash... First update your JCW to 210 status. Then if you still have money left over burning a hole in your pocket, the Cosworth Head from M7 tuning... Then maybe Intercooler mods or Intake mods??

Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
If you have the cash... First update your JCW to 210 status. Then if you still have money left over burning a hole in your pocket, the Cosworth Head from M7 tuning... Then maybe Intercooler mods or Intake mods??
Just read the thread. If he goes to the 210 upgrade kit, it comes with the intake mod. From there you might think about headers and larger TB. Different chip

Old 06-30-2006, 06:13 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Yipes! I just followed the thread on the JCW head, and all I can say is...crap. On the other hand, I'm not really thinking of messing with the head just yet. I am leaning a bit towards that swaybar option right now, the JCW upgrade kit and maybe a lightened crank pulley. I've heard mixed things about the throttle body. Someone on NAM said they experienced scary EGT with the larger TB at anything less than WOT. As for the header, I'm not sure it is "bang for the buck" worthy. I wouldn't run one without a cat or a some kind of flex joint, and the starting price for a header with both is about $700 or more. M7's DFIC looks beautiful,and if I do an intercooler upgrade, that's who I'm going to call.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Yipes! I just followed the thread on the JCW head, and all I can say is...crap.

now you're getting the hang of it!

Old 07-03-2006, 07:38 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
LOL- Yeah, any chance that team Craptastic has a slot for one more piece o'?