1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello there! I'm Phil!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello there! I'm Phil!

Hello everyone, after reading up copious amounts of information about the car, I'd just like to come out and greet everyone, and this great forum!

I'm a hair's width away from pulling the trigger to get my own chili red MC (all base stock except for multi-func wheel and xenons), and i guess i'll say a little bit about myself...

Currently i'm working as staff engineer at Nitto Tires, and the mini cooper attracted me simply because of the great interior and great auto-x performance in the stock classes. On the side note, a cool thing about working in the auto industry is that you get to blend work w/ fun, and in this case i'm currently designing a high performance tire for daily driving and auto-x track use! So hopefully some of you guys can chatter in my ear and let me know what specs you would like in a tire?

But back to the mini! the two questions that i have are:

1) Will snowboards fit inside the rear compartment with the seats down? (i've given up on thinking that a surfboard might fit in there)
2) Does the backseat have ample room to transport people? (i usually sit with the seat all the way back, and last time i checked at the dealership, leg room was non-existant for the rear)

Thanks for readin'!!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:45 PM
PEZdragon
1st Gear
Welcome Phil! I am also new here, in fact I don't even have my MINI yet tho from checking out many at the dealers I would say a snow board would fit inside. With the drivers seat all the way back leg room in the back is less than a little tight....

Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
Hi Pez,

Thats good to hear about the snowboard. What mini configuration are you looking for?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
royal4mac
4th Gear
Welcome Phil

Have had our MCS for a few months...love it!

The backseat with the front back all the way is nonexistent, but you should go to dealer and see if you really want it back that far. I tend to be very close to wheel. I think it gives better leverage, and all the way back is way too far for me. (I'm 6') But the back is cramped no matter what. It is very useful for carrying stuff though.

Good luck!

Griff

Old 06-29-2006, 09:13 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NT-PhiL

But back to the mini! the two questions that i have are:

1) Will snowboards fit inside the rear compartment with the seats down? (i've given up on thinking that a surfboard might fit in there)
2) Does the backseat have ample room to transport people? (i usually sit with the seat all the way back, and last time i checked at the dealership, leg room was non-existant for the rear)

Thanks for readin'!!
First of all, welcome to NAM!!!! Hurryup and full the trigger on that MINI already.

Answers:
1. How about 2 snowboards and 3 people? (A little bit snug, but I did it)

2. If you drive with the seat all the way back (which you have to be pretty tall) then the person behind you will have NO legroom... and by "No" I mean, no space (not even an inch). However, I'm 6'0" and I can comfortably fit me and three passengers. (not strapped to the roof either.)

So... PULL THE FRIGGIN' TRIGGER ALREADY!!! You won't regret it!

Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had two boards in the back, they just fit corner 2 corner. Wrap in a jacket though, or u can scratch the plastic interior trim (oops!). I've had 5 people in the MINI, most at one time, and it's TIGHT. But 3 is really comfortable and 4 is doable. Driver does have to move up, but u can ratchet the seat up to create foot room in the rear foot wells, which allows you to keep it comfortable. I need a street, autox tire, too! welcome to the only site you'll visit for the next few years!

-Steve

Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
welcome to the only site you'll visit for the next few years!
-Steve
He's not lying. It really isn't a joke.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
First of all, welcome to NAM!!!! 1. How about 2 snowboards and 3 people? (A little bit snug, but I did it)

2. If you drive with the seat all the way back (which you have to be pretty tall) then the person behind you will have NO legroom... and by "No" I mean, no space (not even an inch). However, I'm 6'0" and I can comfortably fit me and three passengers. (not strapped to the roof either.)

So... PULL THE FRIGGIN' TRIGGER ALREADY!!! You won't regret it!
I'm flabbergasted to hear that 2 snowboards and 3 ppl can fit the capacity!

Hearing the capabilities of room in the car make it all the more easy to join the club...

Originally Posted by steve
welcome to the only site you'll visit for the next few years!
-Steve
I know what you mean... i've already started "donating" much of my breaks to browse browse browse this vast forum!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM
PEZdragon
1st Gear
Hi Pez,

Thats good to hear about the snowboard. What mini configuration are you looking for?

AB/W MCS
17 s lite
LSD
leather/red tartan cloth sport seats
piano dash
anthra interior
f/r/fogs
sunroof
mfsw
manual air
obc

on the fence on JCW exhuast... (dealer)

I want a time machine NOW.....!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hiya and Welcome! Since it looks as if your questions were already answered, I'll just send you a big WAVE from So Cal.....

Donna

Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I am 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. I have always had the seat all the way back. Then we got MIB.
I had to move the seat forward. And then I moved it forward again to be closer to the wheel.
Closer seems better in the MINI.

I wouldn't want to try to stuff Shaq or Yao Ming in the rear... But KidDiff1 (5 years) and KidDiff2 (3 years) fit fine.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
MIB is an awefully cool name for ur mini... i haven't got the slightest clue what to name mine...

Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Hiya and Welcome! Since it looks as if your questions were already answered, I'll just send you a big WAVE from So Cal.....

Donna
**waaaaveeey** do the so cal mini-owners arrange meets? i think doing a cruise w/ mini's would be cool and make observers heads explode from cute-ness overload

Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
neuralstatic
2nd Gear
also new here, also waiting for my car. but from all my wwwing, there are defintely many talks of rallies or club drives, in here and in other sites.

i am going to be going to one MINI event in LA area even before i get my car. LA seems to have a relatively huge MINI population, and i'm sure the drivers are as varied as LA itself.

jeff in venice

Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
cute-ness overload
Woah there, Phil... Four letter word around here...

My club, MINI 5280, is doing a MINIs after dark canyon drive into the mountains tonite, and observers will record frightening speed and cornering ability, hearing only rpms above 4500... ripping good time.

I'm sure those Cali people have got something good going there, too.

-Steve

Old 06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
NT-PhiL
1st Gear
ah, I see, well i've learned my lesson and keep any hot driving off of the streets, but ur detailed little bit still gets me tingly... t'was fun stuff

btw, why 5280? 5280 feet in a mile i know, but i'm curious why...

Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I'm in the mile high city! Drive was great tonite, too. Fun company and good twisties.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
**waaaaveeey** do the so cal mini-owners arrange meets? i think doing a cruise w/ mini's would be cool and make observers heads explode from cute-ness overload
Phil,

Where about in So Cal are you? I checked the Nitto website and saw that they are in Cypress. If that is where you are, then check out the Southern California MINI Maniacs (SCMM).

It's a pretty active club with many events every month. We've got a track day coming up in September at Buttonwillow and we'll be hosting a Pit Stop on the second leg of the MINI Takes the States event in August. Plus there we have regularly scheduled monthly get togethers across So Cal. Check us out, it's a lot of fun.

Phil