1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lusting in Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:40 AM
All4Grog
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lusting in Anchorage

Hello mini drivers

Well i think i've contracted a case of mini lust

I work at a dealership that recently recieved a '03 MCS, from the second it was unloaded off the truck i was interested. So i took it out for a spin.... and then it just happened, interest turned to giddy entrancement. I drive many, many different vehicles on a daily basis, but have never felt so ......happy.

Now my practicle side (it's too small, too expensive) is in mortal combat with the viceral, but think of the fun, side. After reading your wonderfull forum i fear for the well being of praticality.

The only thing limiting me now is money, but once the GF starts working (about a week or two, has an offer, just waiting on her LPN licence to be transfered) I strongly forsee a little hatchfull of fun in my garage

Little bit more about me, i am salesperson (yeah, yeah i know, but i'm the good type) Just ETS from the military in April and moved from Fort Bragg to Anchorage. The fear of a shorter riding season and no Dragon have me looking for something fun, that will keep me warm in the cold unlike my two wheeled mistress (Suzuki SV650). I guess it's just that the mini seems to hit me in the same soft spot as the SV did, the ease of modification, personality, emphasis on the twisties and the part where i compliment NAM - community. (SV riders are pretty darn tight see www.svrider.com)

So there is my long winded, what am i getting myself into, hello

Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
I grew up in Anchorage (air force brat).
Guess you gotta buy that sucker now, don't you? Don't worry - they go great in the snow. At least in Tennessee snow. Truth be told, folks around here don't know what REAL snow is!

Peace - bodinski

Old 07-01-2006, 09:55 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anchorage... I can't relate.
Wouldn't a car be wise during the winter? Too small = less snow to brush off. With a set of rally snow tires you will be set.
Welcome to NAM!

Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome All4!! Sad thing is.....the lust lasts. Amazingly, practicality, awesome handling, and safety can actually be fun...I've never gotten so many thrills out of a car!

Old 07-01-2006, 11:37 AM
ybavg
3rd Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
throw a set of 15" Holies on it with Blizzaks and youre set

Old 07-01-2006, 12:17 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
sweet. i'd definitely think of serious snow tires and an engine block heater.
i really enjoyed visiting anchorage last october while it was still balmy.

if you have a canada spec vehicle, it might already have the heated windshield
and engine block heater already!!

Old 07-01-2006, 08:49 PM
hudmg0kw
3rd Gear
The "it's too small" argument depends on what you consider "big." The Mini has more useable space than most people realize.

Cost, depends on what your budget is and how much they want (relative to other cars in Anchorage.)

Fun, are you kidding!! Search this website. It's all true. Funnest car I've ever owned and, after 5 months, that factor hasn't diminished one bit.

Now allow me to speak to your practical side. Are there any Mini dealers in Alaska. If I recall correctly, there aren't. A 2003 (how many miles?) will have similar repair/maintenance issues similar to other 3-4 year old vehicles. I would think Mini's are quite rare in Alaska so it could be hard to find a shop that would even attempt to work on it. Think about it, where would you get a oil filter, much less a quadbiscofignut (yea, made that parts name up.)

The Mini "bug" only gets worse. Can't treat it, there's no cure. You will either need to live with having a Mini in Alaska or move to the lower 48.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
All4Grog
Neutral
Now allow me to speak to your practical side. Are there any Mini dealers in Alaska. If I recall correctly, there aren't. A 2003 (how many miles?) will have similar repair/maintenance issues similar to other 3-4 year old vehicles. I would think Mini's are quite rare in Alaska so it could be hard to find a shop that would even attempt to work on it. Think about it, where would you get a oil filter, much less a quadbiscofignut (yea, made that parts name up.)
Armed with a part number, i believe i can order just about anything. If not through the dealership that i physically work at, than through the BMW lot that belongs to the same family of dealerships. Something i'm 90% sure of but will double check prior to purchase. I'm in pretty good with the guys in the shop, also none of the mini's we have currently are covered under factory warrenty. All are 2003's with; 50K miles, 60K and 67k respectively. If all else fails i am reasonably mechanically inclined.I may have to wait on parts, but that is a risk i may just take.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 PM
All4Grog
Neutral
I will most definately be on the look out for blizzaks when the snow moves down the mountain.

My Id thanks all of you for your encouragement just as my other side trembles in anger

Soon it seems my hopes will become reality.

Also since they all have lasped in factory coverage, the aftermarket will be an open door .

Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 PM
hudmg0kw
3rd Gear
All4Grog:
Armed with a part number, i believe i can order just about anything. If not through the dealership that i physically work at, than through the BMW lot that belongs to the same family of dealerships. Something i'm 90% sure of but will double check prior to purchase. I'm in pretty good with the guys in the shop, also none of the mini's we have currently are covered under factory warrenty. All are 2003's with; 50K miles, 60K and 67k respectively. If all else fails i am reasonably mechanically inclined.I may have to wait on parts, but that is a risk i may just take.

Sorry,practical side speaking again. While I am sure you can order nearly any part for the Mini, what about downtime? Even with overnight air freight (and the associated charges) how high on Mini's priority list is sending a part to Alaska to a non-dealer? Never lived there so these fears may be unwarranted.

I have done oil changes on the Mini. Replaced, brakes, alternators, O2 sensors, gaskets, other simple stuff on different vehicles but wouldn't be able to deal with diagnosing many driveability/electrical problems on a newer vehicle. One question I would need to answer is, who works on Minis in Alaska and what is their reputation.

Lastly, I am not trying to disuade you from buying your Mini, just being ED.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Sweet Grog! . . . good to see another bite the dust of passion and pleasure. Get the car!

On a personal note my middle son is driving his 82 VW Cabriolet up the Alaskan Highway to Anchorage in August. I don't suppose you traveled that highway on your way to your new home. Do you know if it is paved or well maintained (if gravel). He drove the car through last winter without a top or heater so I reckon he'll be okay now that he has a top and a heater.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
All4Grog
Neutral
very good and valid points hudmg0kw, i will be asking about it to our service manager as well as the service manager at our BMW location. Would have asked today, but service had the day off. If i were to take the plunge, i would also consider getting an extended warrenty through the dealership as our policies are very leaniant by way of aftermarket accessories and include roadside all the way through Canada and lower 48. To include the Alaska Highway which i drove with a Dakota pulling a 4,000 pound traile just about 2 months ago.
So to answer BlueBonnet's question, yes the highway is decently maintained. There are some streaches of gravel in Canada (~80-100miles) and just about a mile near Destruction Bay. Awesome, twisty and senic road. There are some heavy grades as well, but the biggest danger by far is wildlife. Your son WILL see dall sheep, caribou, blacktail deer and a moose or two. So be sure to tell him to be on the lookout Also if he is crossing the border through Idaho i would highly recommend crossing through Banf national forrest, really beautiful and a worthy detour. Also i think the count was four bears chilling on the roadside. We lost count of the other critters . He will have a good time even if he gets stuck behind MANY an RV. Oh and this time of year once gets further north all his driving will be daylight driving, even at night .