1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Check in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 07:47 PM
PepperWhiteHair
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to Check in.

Well my deposit is in and I am now in line, (do not like waiting). I bought my MINI from South Bay MINI in Los Angeles, after choking on the $3000.00 dealer markup at Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas. I can't give any logical reason for dumping my Acura RSX for the MC, and wrestled back and forth between buying and forgettingaboutit. Emotion prevailed, so here I am in line.

As my user name implies, I ordered a PW/PW S, with very few extras which are: Auto Transmission, Sports Package with 17" run flats, rear fog, park sensors, multifunction steering wheel with cruise control (which is nice on the way to Las Vegas). I thought that I would add bits and pieces as I go along.

The only thing that I've read that concerns me is some discussions about the effect of 10% methanol gas on the engine etc.. It's a big issue for me since ethanol is a way of life in California. Would appreciate any soothing words.

**** in So Cal

Old 07-01-2006, 10:00 PM
UsCoops
4th Gear
Welcome to the MINI club ****! I'm still playing the waiting game myself, so have no real-world experience with the ethanol issue, but have read a ton of 'back-issue' threads because this was a real concern to me also, being from the Phoenix area. What I gathered from those is that as long as you're using top-tier fuel you should have no problem. Check out this site (www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html).

Did you think about buying from a different dealer and just enjoying a road trip home when it comes in? $3k mark-up seems pretty darn steep! I bot from Schomp in Denver to shave 2 months off my wait time, and don't regret it - really looking forward to a twisty ride home!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Good color combination ****. I went with Universal Mini after calling Bob Smith and Assael, both of whom had mark ups.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:53 AM
PepperWhiteHair
Neutral
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the info and suggestions. As I said I SAVED $3000 by just going 40mins down the freeway. I still get steamed thinking about the intended gouging, because I really wanted to buy from a dealer in the neighborhood. I will still get my service done there because of the convenience.

After reviewing the top tier list it seems as if there will be no problem finding a suitable gas. I just wonder if any of those is better than the others??????

By the way, how do you get the badges?

**** in So Cal [IMG]images/smilies/thumb-up.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
ybavg
3rd Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Love your color choice!

Old 07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PepperWhiteHair
By the way, how do you get the badges?

**** in So Cal [IMG]images/smilies/thumb-up.gif[/IMG]
Here you go.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=71218

Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
PepperWhiteHair
Neutral
Thanks, not so tough

Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Welcome White Hair,
You can search the forums and find plenty of informaton on appropriate fuel choices. I either use premium (which is 91 octane here in New Mexico) or mid grade (88 octane) blended with e-85 (105 octane) to 10%. I have used e-10 in the past, which is 89 octane here, with no problems but a suspicion of slightly less fuel mileage and performance. I originally got into blending fuel in the tank with my toyota diesel pickup . . . I'd buy B-100 and blend it with regular diesel fuel . . . but B-20 became available so I quit that chore.
MINI is good with ethanol up to 10% as far as the warrenty goes.

I waited a couple of months for my MINI. It is all in the past now and the car was so much worth the wait. It brings me such joy.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
PepperWhiteHair
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome! I notice that you are in St Clair Shores, we(my wife & I) grew up on the east side when it was still a nice place to live. I have some fond memories of SCS.