1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drive!

Well... I know I'm not 18 yet, but at least I went for quite a ride. And I got to spin it about in a parking lot a bit , but I'll get to that in a second. So, the guy from the dealership takes me out of the lot, and he's driving it pretty fast, but not absolute breakneck speed and not many really curvy roads. After a minute or two, we come to a pretty sharp corner, and I'm waiting for him to slow down (we're going 50 in a 35 zone and the sign says to take the corner at 15)... he doesn't slow down. The car takes the curve PERFECTLY, and this is a base Cooper w/o DSC! After a moment of shocked silence, by previously mature persona is instantly incinerated away and I (no exhaggeration) begin a fit of hysterical, shocked laughter for a solid 20 seconds. After it subsides, I'm trying to catch my breath, and the guy turns to me and says, "Yeah, I get that a lot..."

After taking a few more insane curves, he let me take it around an empty parking lot a bit (for insurance reasons, I couldn't take it out on the street, which is probably better because I was too afraid to try out one of those turns, anyway). No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to lose control! Every time, it recovered perfectly!

Now, I know what you guys are thinking, just another stupid kid, DUH the MINI can do those things! But, time for a small confession (and I'm not Catholic, so I'm not used to this ): I was (note the past tense) also considering a Jetta TDI, but oh man, after seeing what the MINI could actually do, there's absolutely no competition. I know it's 15 mpg less than a TDI, but the MINI's mileage will still be double what both the cars we have get, and I'm willing to pay for that kind of fun (and safety!). I plan to submit my order for a SB/S Cooper sometime this month, and yes, I will be getting the DSC.

I shudder to think what a Cooper S can do.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:55 PM
All4Grog
Neutral
Same reaction here, only difference is i am a salesperson Having driven many rides i have to say, if it is in your means finacially these little guys are excellent. Good to hear as it sounds as though you got a good salesman with you, i know all the guys at our dealership do our best to add a bit of shock to the test drive .

If only we were a Mini dealership then i could really let loose .

Also, with dozens of rides to choose from on the lot, the little mini gets taken out the most for errands. (lunch pick up, paperwork transfer, dinner break, odd excuse out of the blue) Just too much fun to pass up.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 AM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Yeah, I was a little suspicious at first because when I mentioned that I wasn't 18 and wouldn't be able to drive it around, he said all-too-joyfully that he'd be happy to take it for a spin.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sold! Welcome aboard... Glad you had a good Motoring Advisor - it makes all the difference.....

Donna

Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 AM
jmmas
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MA tried doing this for me getting off of RT.1 in Peabody, MA (anyone from the Boston Area can agree that getting off of Rt. 1 isn't always the easiest thing to do). Anyway, it was raining a bit so the road was kind of slick. So my MA says "Okay, Im going to go into this corner a little hot to show you the MINI's handling ability, so hang on". Well, we get to the off-ramp and he doesnt really slow down, and just tries taking it at about 40 mph. Well, the wheels don't stick and was start plowing towards the on-ramp traffic!!! He was able to hit the brakes and save it, but we got a kick out of it..

After a few seconds of awkwardness, my MA says.. Well, I was going to have you do what I just did, but since it's slick out, Im going to advise against it... A week later I was in there ordering my MINI, so he didnt do too much damage with that little mishap.