1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miata out... MINI in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:33 PM
ToneDog614
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miata out... MINI in?

Hello. I'm new to this board. I'd been a Miata driver for the last dozen or so years, but recently I had to sell my 2000 LS w/BRP supercharger after my daughter was born. I'm now looking at buying a new MCS Cabrio as its replacement. I view it as if it were a Miata with back seats -- still a fun open-top driver's car but with extra passenger carrying ability. I'd be interested in hearing from other owners who use their MINI as a daily driver, regular baby transporter, and occasional twisty road blaster.

Future MCS Cabrio owner?
Tony

Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Hey Tony, I think the MINI shares a few things with the Miatas... fun to drive, stylish, sold for MSRP (and sometimes over) when first introduced, etc. I think there are some Miata / MINI drivers around here... search or browse - I've seen the pics in their sigs, so they're here.

I use my MCS to transport my two girls from time to time, but they are now old enough to be in booster seats rather than the larger baby seats. However, I know those that do transport their very little ones in the MINI without any problems.

Oh, and mine is also my daily driver, and I have no regrets there. However, I don't have the Cabrio... I prefer the hard-tops (living in Seattle may be a part of that preference).

Welcome to the board!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
HPzie
2nd Gear
I also have a MCS hard top as well. With every day driving to work and picking up my 3 kids from school ( my 3yr old still need a car seat ), all together about 100 miles every day ..... As long as I dont have to spend no more then 1 hour in the Mini with all 3 of my kids, I have no complain here.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
We own a '99 Miata 10th Anniversary Edition:

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchlewis/Miata_10AE/

and we've got a MINI on order. It's going to be interesting autocrossing a FWD after so many years in a RWD.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 PM
daleb
1st Gear
If choosing an open roadster, it would likely be an MX-5 not a Mini.
Especially the Mazdaspeed variety. Beautiful driving vehicle.
Where I live summer temps frequently reach into the low 100's.
Get enough sun during daily activities and working in the yard. Don't need more rays that.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 PM
jbarwilson
1st Gear
I have a '02 Miata (base model) and recently got an 06 MCS conv for my wife. Soon after, I started thinking about replacing the Miata. My wife really likes the Miata so we took a look at the new ones. We did not care for the redone front end, so........ I found a MCS hardtop that I liked and picked it up last week.
Miata for Sale...... interesting that I haven't had many calls from my ads.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
daleb
1st Gear
I've know a few people lately having problems selling nice cars.
I don't like how they gave the Miata (sorry, MX-5) a funny mouth either.
In other areas, they did some nice things that gave a more macho look..but it's like they ran out of ideas on the front.
It is a nice roadster though. Very together.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Tony, & welcome to NAM. I've been a Miata owner for six years or so. I love it & would hate to sell it, but I understand where you are coming from. Last December I picked up my 06 MCS tin top. Since I already had a roadster the tin top was OK with me. It's my daily driver & it fills the bill very well. They are very nice cars that compliment a Miata nicely. If you need a drop top it's the best Miata replacement that I can think of. Yes it's front drive, but it's a great handling car right out of the box. Install a rear bar & it only gets better. I'm local to you, so if you need a test ride drop me a PM.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re:child seat in mcsc

Hi,
We too, are looking to get a mini. Went to the dealership to see how our car seat fit in the back. I had read in these forums some fit better than others. Ours is a Brittax Marathon (fits up to a high weight -can't remember). Our child is 3yrs old, 36 pounds and tall. I had looked all over the forums, and the net to see if a marathon fit, no luck. so I went in to find out. We tried to fit the Brittax Marathon in the S convertible.
This is what I found out: the convertible has a shorter back seat, a more upright back and a larger/higher (non-removeable-for safety). With our Marathon installed the front passenger seat had to be pushed way foward, so much so no one could sit there. Then, (with suggestion of the mini salesguy) we tried it in the s hardtop...more room! the back seat is deeper, and were able to remove the back seat headrest for a better fit. He also had more room for his legs. With him sitting in the car seat, we were able to sit in the front passenger seat reasonably well (I'm 5' 7", hubby 5'11''). Thank goodness! Hope this helps. Mind you, not all seats are like the Brittax Marathon. So go see for yourself if yours fits! or get a new one that does cheers