1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranmission Choices - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
mapgal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranmission Choices - Help!

I realize that most Mini geeks are manual transmission enthusiasts. But I'm a little nervous. Don't laugh, but I've never driven a car with manual transmission! But I'm crazy for a Mini and have heard that manuals are more fun.

My question is - would it be a mistake to learn on a new car? Could I mess up the transmission? Would I regret it and wish I'd gone with an automatic? 90% of my driving is in town, traffic - stop and go. Advice please!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I'd stick with the automatic since you have so much stop and go driving to do. My wife taught me to drive a stick many, many years ago but now she only wants an automatic in her cars. You'll be happy with the auto in the MCSa.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Mporter
1st Gear
Happy with CVT

Originally Posted by mapgal
90% of my driving is in town, traffic - stop and go. Advice please!
Hard to say which you would enjoy more, but I got my 2005 MC with a CVT because so much of my daily driving is stop-and-go. I'm very happy with it. On weekends and in the hills I use the steptronic mode a lot.

--Matt.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Gromit has the CVT. We bought the car out of dealer stock because it was almost exactly what I would have ordered-without the wait. The big difference was that I had planned on getting the 5 speed.

I have absolutely no regrets. In fact, I think I am happier with the CVT than I would have been with the 5 speed. As Mporter said, for day to day driving, the CVT is great. When ready to really MOTOR, kick it over to the steptronic mode and have fun!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
If you feel brave, you could always get the manual and learn on it. I'd recommend taking a class with your new car to learn, or if you have a friend who'd be willing, have someone teach you in your new car.

But if you'd rather just let your car do the work for you, and if you drive in lots of traffic, it might be wise to get the automatic. I drove both at my local MINI dealership and they were both awesome! So you won't be disappointed.

I for one bought my (manual) MINI without knowing how to drive a manual transmission car. Luckily I had a friend who let me learn on his car, so I won't do too much damage to new MINI when I pick it up.

Anyway, it's a very personal choice. I wouldn't advise picking up your new car (if it's a manual) having never driven one before. But if you can take driving lessons, learn on a friend's car, or get some manual-transmission motoring in before picking up your new car, you'll be good to go, and it will be very unlikely that you'll do any serious damage to your car.

So, weigh the options. If you want to learn something new, and save $1750 on the automatic transmission, and you're feeling brave, get the manual. But if you'd be more comfortable in the automatic in traffic, city driving, or really hilly areas, it would be well worth the price.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Learn on the manual! I got my MCS without knowing how to drive a manual, and now I won't go back to an auto. They are horrible imo. Cheaper AND more fun!

-Cody

Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM
HyperKid
2nd Gear
I've gone back and forth between manuals and automatics. I'm acutally trading in a manual for my MINI and I opted for the CVT. It was fun to drive and since I also do alot of in town driving, I was a little tired of the manual transmission. Like the previous posts suggest, do what you want to do. Don't worry about what the other MINI drivers say, it matters what makes you most comfortable and to get the most enjoyment out of motoring.

If you opt for the manual, definitely get some lessons first. You don't want all the MA's giggling at you if you can't make it out of the lot on delivery.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I learned on my new MCS. I had only driven a manual transmission for about 20 minutes in a parking lot before I went to test drive the MCS. I just made sure I went during a time when there wasn't much traffic and avoided hills. I only stalled once, and accidently started in reverse once (luckly no one was behind me) The day I picked up my new car and drove it off the lot I was so nervous. But I made it all the way home without stalling. The next morning (early, since I couldn't sleep for over a week after I got my MINI) I took it to the park and just started palying around with it. I got the hang of it pretty quick. I avoided hills for the first week or so, and after that it became second nature.

I love the manual transmission to death. Even in stop and go traffic, I love it. You have so much more control of the car. And out on the track it is almost necessary.

I have no problems with people who get the automatic. But think hard before you make that decision. The MCS is a pretty easy manual to drive. Once you get past the first few weeks of nerves learning it, a new world of driving opens up to you. If you really want a manual, don't let not knowing how to drive it stop you. It only takes a few weeks to learn, and you will have the car for years (or forever, which ever comes first)

Old 07-04-2006, 04:58 PM
UsCoops
4th Gear
My drive home every day is 25 miles of stop and go in the Phoenix heat, so I thought long and hard about the same thing... I chose the manual, but then again I had years (about 20) of manual experience, including a couple of sports cars in my younger years so I was really leaning towards the manual in the first place.

That being said, I've thought about it alot on my drive home every day, and really could have gone either way - for sure the auto would be easier!

In the end, just do what feels best for you, don't let others on the forum sway your decision. If you feel more comfortable in an auto the get it!!! You can still have some fun with the CVT (MC) or Steptronic (MCS).

Either way you'll enjoy the heck out of it!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I went with the auto even though 70% of my driving is highway. I can't stand driving manual in the city, and the 6 speed auto MCS is great with the paddle shifters. I can't wait to get mine.....

Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
Remember, the auto is a LOT more money and much heavier. Personally, I feel it's a really tough call in your situation. But most importantly, make sure that the decision is YOURS, and that you only use the advice of people with experience to help you make the decision and not outright make it for you!

^I know, how cheezy and Mr. Rogers-esque of me, but it needed to be said.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cube17576
The MCS is a pretty easy manual to drive. Once you get past the first few weeks of nerves learning it, a new world of driving opens up to you. If you really want a manual, don't let not knowing how to drive it stop you. It only takes a few weeks to learn, and you will have the car for years (or forever, which ever comes first)
Oh yeah!

Old 07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Ive had various cars with different transmission options. Infact, I puchased a 95 Acura Integra in manual before even knowing how to drive. I ended up keeping that car 6, nearly 7 years and loved it.

Now i have an 06 MCS with a 6 speed manual. there are a few factors to consider... your driving style, what you focus on when you drive and what you consider when enjoying a drive out, also the type of driving environment you'll be spending most of your time in.

Honestly, i live and drive in NYC. Before owning this car, i never could quite understand how people say driving a manual is tiring... Well my cooper is tiring to drive in traffic... not kidding. I suppose it doesnt help when the suspension is stiff. Having to navigate canyon like pot holes, speed bumps and yellow cabs is not what i call driving pleasure. I actually enjoy navigating through driving in my e46 M3 (also a 6 speed).

twice already ive said a MCS in auto would have been easier... Ive only been an owner for 7 days now. Yes the auto may be slower but if your daily driving is mostly spent in traffic, i recommend the auto option.

Hope this helps you. Best of luck.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MooseMan
Remember, the manual is a LOT more money and much heavier.
MooseMan - I think you ment to type automatic, not manual.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
MooseMan
2nd Gear
!!! Yep, thanks for catching that. Edited.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Manual?

Before I ordered my new MINI I rented one and drove it as I would in day to day driving (stop and go around SoCal). I ordered a manual - could imagine driving one without it.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
great idea!

--Yes renting a small rental car with manual transmission is a great idea. Have a friend who knows how to drive manual go with you and give you a few lessons. See if you can deal with driving manual. Some people can't. I can but I choose not to. I bought an MCSa. (I smoke, drink, talk on cell phones while driving so I run out of arms eventually for shifting.) Spend a day with a manual tranny car and see if you like it.

THEN... go to the MINI dealership and test drive a manual and an automatic. One right after another if they'll let you.

Which ever one feels the best to you 100% of the time will be your obvious choice.

My opinion though is that you'll lose nothing in day to day driving with the MCS automatic. For track/racing, I would choose the manual. Just for lighter weight and more fun in the cockpit.

Best of luck, let us know which one you choose.

Originally Posted by Boneman
Before I ordered my new MINI I rented one and drove it as I would in day to day driving (stop and go around SoCal). I ordered a manual - could imagine driving one without it.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do whatever you want!

There's a thread out the about buying without a clue about Manuals, and every story so far is one of success, so don't be afraid.

Have fun.

Matt

Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
mapgal
Neutral
Thanks so much for the helpful advice! I'm still torn, but feel comfortable about at least renting a manual. And if in the end I choose an automatic, I won't feel too embarrassed!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
doodlez
5th Gear
Kind of in the same boat...

I am in a similar situation. It's time to get a new car and of course I won't settle for anything but a MINI! I have driven manual before, but only for a few minutes here and there on quiet streets while learning (total driving time probably 1 hour). I never had the confidence to risk my life out on the real streets of Miami, which are very hostile. Now I am living in a new town, and I wouldn't be questioning my ability to quickly pick up shifting skills except that there are now HILLS to contend with (I am even trying to adjust to driving my current auto tranny car on hills since I'm a flatlander).

Adding to this uncertainty (but with the exhilarating thrill of trying something new constantly enticing me in the background), my older and wiser father - whose car I tried learning on without managing to destroy it - is advising strongly against a manual. He is citing the hills and winter weather (which I am also completely inexperienced with, having lived in Florida all my life) as severe dangers when paired with a manual transmission and an unskilled driver.

So mapgal, I too am trying to weigh this decision. I'm interested in hearing what you eventually decide. I really like the idea of a manual myself - maybe all I need is a test drive to decide (I have briefly driven a vert with CVT that a friend of a friend owns, and even that was very different from a regular automatic).

Old 07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It's not hard to learn...

but like any skill, you have to really commit to doing it, and invest some time in practice. There are millions and millions of drivers that live in areas with hills and winter that use manuals, just as there are millions and millions that live in similar areas who drive autos. Choose what you want to do, and if it takes some time and effort, so be it. Just don't choose something that requires skills, and not invest the time and effort to learn. That's just stupid, and potentially dangerous.

There ya go!

Matt

Ps, this applies to more than just manual vs auto.....

Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I believe a manual transmission has some advantages over an automatic in winter driving. For one thing, if your car loses traction in a snowy corner, you can push the clutch in (rather than panicking and hitting the brakes). This allows the front wheels to regain traction (obviously won't work if you have gone way too fast into the corner but it will help if you are slightly fast).
Just don't feel pressured by others to get a manual transmission - the choice is yours and only you can decide what you are confortable with. The MINI can be enjoyed with either transmission choice.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Autos can

apply torque more smoothly than manuals, this can be good in getting started in low traction situations.

No pressure, but I look at as what does it take to do what I want to do? If the investment in time, effort or money is too high (maybe throw risk in there as well), then I guess I look for another answer. But if it's acceptable risk and I'm willing to do what it takes, I go for it!

The point here isn't "go get a manual" but "If you want to drive a manual, don't let lack of experience be a barrier. Get one and practice!"

Matt

Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Map, don't feel bad about not knowing how to drive a stick. I was 18 when I learned, and it was on the first car I ever bought. I was in the Air Force at the time, and stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS. I bought my 1975 MGB from White's Imports in Mobile, AL. The salesrep gave me a few instructions, and I had the 60 odd miles from Mobile to Biloxi to learn. It was so easy!

A stick is the only way to fly!