1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from a potential WA MINI owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:49 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from a potential WA MINI owner!

Well, my timeline is starting to gel and after lusting for a Mini Cooper S for the last 4 years... I actually have a projection for finally buying one:

In 3 months, I will begin looking for a used 2004+ model with EXACTLY the package/accessory combination I want (white over blue with sport, premium and cold weather packages). If I don't find what I I'm looking for after a few months of shopping, I will expand my search/budget (as I will have the added savings by then) to include used JCWorks cars. If I cant scratch up something after another few months... I will trot into the dealer and order up a new 2007 S car.

I've put this off for four years... since, just after driving my first MINI S, I became a father and my son was born. Two years later and I added a daughter to the mix. Necessity seemed to dictate that my 4-wheeled vehicles also have 4-doors... so I bought a pair of Volvos and made mine as fun as I possibly could (they ARE Volvos after all-AND I still keep 2 or three motorcycles on hand at all times for the REAL fun). I paid cash for the V70 wagon, and my S70R sedan will be paid for at the end of the year... so a 4-wheeled weekend fun/track day toy is finally going to be on the way. My MINI urge cannot be denied much longer!

I've LOVED the MINI ever since I had the opprotunity to drive one at Portalnd Raceway. Amazing handling, even up against some of the high doller/high displacement sports cars in attendance that day (M cars, Porsches, Corvettes, wrx's and Lancers). The supercharged MINI somewhat kept up with the big cars on the straits (they never seemed to completely leave me in the dust)... but as the curves came up... I would roll by everything as the MINI could carry SO MUCH CORNIERING SPEED compared to the other cars. I could not wipe the smile off my face and was pretty much convinced I wanted one.

I've done some (very) ameteur racing (cars, road bikes and dirt bikes) and I am a driving instructor as a part of my usual employment. Last year I was fortunate enough to participate in the Dunlop Driver's Cup. This adventure provided a number of comperditive driving experiences in the US and Europe this past year. Good times. Lots of stories.

My first love being motorcycles, I've done a ton of track days aboard Ducati, Triumph and other sport bikes. The mini is the only car I've driven that's given a similar physical experience: Endless grip in the corners, useable power and just a a huge fun factor. Not to mention the fact that the kids are now old enough to climb in a buckle themselves into car seats! It'll be a sunny day family fun car and then some! I want to at least do a few track days each year and explore the possibilities of racing the thing to some degree.

Again proving that MINI owners are so much cooler than anyone else, I met ClintTheMiniOwner after spying his rig parked on a street where I work. His car is perfect! Exactly the stance and look I'm going for, just a different color. Fearing I was there on "official business" Clint came out to see what was up. As he discovered I was actually drooling over his 2002 S and a prospective MINI owner he literally poured a wealth of knowledge onto me, stearing me a bit towards my prize and eventually turning me on to this site. Seeing the things he and his friends have been doing with heads, exhausts, headers, pullys, suspension it's AMAZING! I can't say enough good stuff. I'm definately hooked!

I'll be lurking here and checking in more and more as I begin to shop. I'm afraid if I do much more than that I will end up with a car in the driveway in the next month!

See you out the motoring soon enough!

Mike H

Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Welcome! Sounds like a good plan but I would suggest starting with an 05 MCS due to quality and gearbox changes. I have an 05 and an 04 MCS. Guess which one I drive every day? The difference is striking.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 AM
swizzle
3rd Gear
Welcome Mike,

I know the waiting game well. I first saw a Minicooper at the 2002 Detroit Auto show. I was hooked right then and lusted after it for years. I finally took delivery of my own this past June. I'm glad the way things worked out as the '06 has many improvements and refinements over the early years. With your background and experience, it sounds like a great fit.

By the way, both of my kids would much rather be in a Mini than the SUV

swizzle

Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Glad to see it's getting closer to reality for ya

Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 PM
upslogger19
1st Gear
Hey, welcome. I am in the Seattle area and I just went to the dealership in Tacoma (Northwest Mini) and they said 2007 S modles are 10-12 months wait. They are taking orders now so if you think you will be going this route then order quick!!!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:15 PM
jeffsc
1st Gear
If you're in the Seattle area, check out the local MINI club -- Puget Sound MINI. We've got lots of local information, including events and general MINI-things in the area. NAM is great for general MINI info, though, and I know plenty of the members hang out in both forums.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Welcome aboard!

There's a beautiful Electric Blue MINI S at a dealer I drive by on my way to work (in Bellevue). Very sharp looking! Incredibly, they are asking something like $27K for it and its a 2005. I've wondered if checking dealers in the South and further east isn't a good idea if you're looking for a used MINI. Maybe try using an auto broker that can do a nationwide search?

Old 08-06-2006, 06:35 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minitee
Welcome aboard!

There's a beautiful Electric Blue MINI S at a dealer I drive by on my way to work (in Bellevue). Very sharp looking! Incredibly, they are asking something like $27K for it and its a 2005. I've wondered if checking dealers in the South and further east isn't a good idea if you're looking for a used MINI. Maybe try using an auto broker that can do a nationwide search?
Yeah, welcome! Check out the Puget Sound Mini Club if you're in that area. Fun group!

As for buying used... I was originally going to go that route because I figured I'd be able to get a good deal. But used MINIs are going for even more than new ones that you can custom order! That 2005 electric blue going for $27k in Bellevue probably has at least 15K on it, and I just paid less than that for my new 2006 with ZERO miles on it!

So shop around, and if you're patient you might be able to get a 2007 for less than a used one is selling for around here. Though if you do go used, you could probably haggle on the price, whereas that is NOT going to happen if you custom order from a dealership.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Well, I took the plunge... to a degre, at least.

Went to Northwest Mini with the wife. Drove a couple of the used S cars on the lot (2004, 2005) and then a 2006 S demo.

After taking a drive, talking a bit and looking at the costs used (we looked elsewhere, too), my wife pushed me to put a deposit and get in line on a 2007 MCS. She's pretty practicle... and felt the warranty on a "0" miles car woiuld be well worth the extra dough. Did some basic paperwork and will finalize production details in a 3-4 months. So where does that leave me in the hirarchey of Mini buying? Waiting in line? In the Que? Waiting for a production week to be assigned? What?

I have no idea what I'll do for the next 10-12 months. After driving a MCS again (after 3 years) the fire is definately re-kindled. I knew I wanted one before (based on a drive in 2002/3)... but, man I love those things!!! I can hardly imagine the 2007 with the NEW TURBO!!! Yeee Haw!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow!!! You are the first '07 future-owner I've seen post (not that there aren't others)! Well done!! Your wife is a keeper, I think!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Yeah, I was actually kind of shocked. She's never really interest in any of my motorsport hobbies and has allways been pretty good about saying, "get what you want as long as we can afford it". Even when we've bought cars for her, she's never been really interested ("it's just a car").

This was the first time I've seen her interjecting herself into the purchase of a vehicle of any kind. She definately voiced her opinions on color, hood stripes, accessories... lots of stuff. It was kind of cool to see her interested. Especially since Tomio somehow slipped the new car idea into her head so effectively. We're both looking forward to a new car and taking part in some of the motoring events out there (...and make up a few of our own, too!).

I can't wait.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:01 AM
upslogger19
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Yeah, I was actually kind of shocked. She's never really interest in any of my motorsport hobbies and has allways been pretty good about saying, "get what you want as long as we can afford it". Even when we've bought cars for her, she's never been really interested ("it's just a car").

This was the first time I've seen her interjecting herself into the purchase of a vehicle of any kind. She definately voiced her opinions on color, hood stripes, accessories... lots of stuff. It was kind of cool to see her interested. Especially since Tomio somehow slipped the new car idea into her head so effectively. We're both looking forward to a new car and taking part in some of the motoring events out there (...and make up a few of our own, too!).

I can't wait.

LOL, i talked to Tomio too!

Still trying to decide what we are going to do. Used or new, used or new...