1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:38 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerband
Robo-voice on askMINI told me my car is completed today. I don't want to get excited either, but I'm really really excited.
Ok, temper tantrum starting.... I can't stand the ask mini robot. It says that my MCS is STILL in the body shop! WTF!! It's been in the body shop since 8/31:impatient :impatient ::::taking deep breaths:::: You guys are early and I am late. Ok, so being late isn't so unusual for me, but not when it's important. ::taking more deep breaths::::

Now, for more fun topic... powerband, tell me about Dinan S1. I was just looking on info on upgrading my pulley to an Alta 15% pulley. Lets talk mods!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Kissmys,
Some Louisiana blues straight out of Baton Rouge from the 40s and 50s that I really like include artists like Lazy Lester, Lonesome Sundown and Slim Harpo (the Rolling Stone's song "I'm a King Bee" was actually borrowed from Slim Harpo).

Also check out Katie Webster:

http://www.alligator.com/index.cfm?s...ts&artistID=20

This website has a streaming radio feature, so turn up yo speakers! From there you can navigate and find some great swamp rhythm. Makes you bend your knees a little. Elvis ain't got nothin on these folks.

John

Old 09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Ok, temper tantrum starting.... I can't stand the ask mini robot. It says that my MCS is STILL in the body shop! WTF!! It's been in the body shop since 8/31:impatient :impatient ::::taking deep breaths:::: You guys are early and I am late. Ok, so being late isn't so unusual for me, but not when it's important. ::taking more deep breaths::::

Now, for more fun topic... powerband, tell me about Dinan S1. I was just looking on info on upgrading my pulley to an Alta 15% pulley. Lets talk mods!
I'm telling ya... I nice boot(ie) takes time and hard work!

Dinan Stage 1 package for your MCS:
Stage 3 Engine Software; High Flow Cowl Induction Intake System; Free Flow Exhaust; Strut Tower Brace; Signature Floor Mats; Serial Numbered S1 Plaque, Dinan Deck Lid Badge. Cost for parts and installation: $1736.00

http://www.dinancars.com/Mini.asp?Se...is=40&Model=91

I think this is an expensive route for the above products, but they are quality and warranteed, and are especially put together for the MINI.

I looked at the Dinan Stage 2 Suspension System package, but can't decide if JCW springs wrapped around Koni FSD shocks and a 19mm Alta rear sway bar is a better combination.

I really like the Alta 15% SC Pulley, and that may be the first engine mod I do.

This is preliminary planning, constructed from this past month of research on these forums. Still learning.

Climbergirl, have you (or anyone) else put together a preliminary plan for performance mods?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:08 PM
ds/b_mini
1st Gear
Nice. I'm looking into the Dinan Stage 1 package, too. Are you going to let them install the "Dinan" deck lid badge in place of the "Cooper"?

-
I may just have them put it on the driver side and leave the cooper s on the right side. I have not decided about it yet.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
my boot (ie) better be outstanding! I better get some stripes for it.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I'm telling ya... I nice boot(ie) takes time and hard work!

Dinan Stage 1 package for your MCS:
Stage 3 Engine Software; High Flow Cowl Induction Intake System; Free Flow Exhaust; Strut Tower Brace; Signature Floor Mats; Serial Numbered S1 Plaque, Dinan Deck Lid Badge. Cost for parts and installation: $1736.00

http://www.dinancars.com/Mini.asp?Se...is=40&Model=91

I think this is an expensive route for the above products, but they are quality and warranteed, and are especially put together for the MINI.

I looked at the Dinan Stage 2 Suspension System package, but can't decide if JCW springs wrapped around Koni FSD shocks and a 19mm Alta rear sway bar is a better combination.

I really like the Alta 15% SC Pulley, and that may be the first engine mod I do.

This is preliminary planning, constructed from this past month of research on these forums. Still learning.

Climbergirl, have you (or anyone) else put together a preliminary plan for performance mods?
So this is what I have been thinking.... I regret not getting the JCW. I contemplated, and when I really gave it serious consideration, my car went into production (much quicker than I had anticipated). Sooo... I was thinking of doing the Alta 15% pulley, Milltech catback, chip, CAI. I am under the impression that I should notice a difference. I mean the pulley itself should increase HP by 12-20. I am still learning too. Sometimes I get overwhelmed. I learn best by hands on. So... sometimes the vast amount of info just confuses me. God, even the chip is confusing. Then you read things about M7, Helix, Alta, etc... I feel like I need to make a chart so I can "see" what they are talking about. I am very visual and tactile. I guess I will figure it out sooner or later. I have other mod's planned, but they are cosmetic. well, except for siruis and the aux input. They are not cosmetic, but those babies are getting installed at home. Not paying some riduculous amount for labor. Now, on a new pair of jeans, oh yeah!

Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
I'm taking Merlin over to Webb Motorsports in Littleton Colorado the very first thing and I'm going to have him install the Alta 15% pulley, his new CAI and a 22mm rear sway bar. That will be probably as far as I go with mods. I'm not much of a gearhead so I will let Motorsports do the work. Hey I'm a photographer by profession, I can't afford busted knuckles. I will install the PIAA 540's myself though, light I understand.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Hey, JJ Blue and Powerband... as it looks like you've elected to install the Alta 15% pulley, what is the difference between the 19mm rear sway bar and the 22mm (other than the obvious size?) The pulley is probably the first mod I'll do too, but am confused on the sway bar sizes...

Also, is it the general concensus that Konis are the best shocks to install? Any more specifics in this area? I put some on my old Datsun 510 and a sway bar and loved the drive!

Oh, and thanks Powerband for the Louisiana music leads. I love "King Bee" and listen to a lot of really old blues that are in somewhat the same down and dirty category including John Lee Hooker, Leadbelly, Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith, Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Howlin' Wolf (the original!), Muddy Waters and of course we can't forget B.B. King (seen live at least 3 times.) There were so many more from the 20s/30s/40s that formed the base from which our great classic R&B evolved (big part of John Lennon's inspiration and first love.) I'll check out your leads and add to my library!

Gotta go turn on the music and start prepping a ton 'o food. We have a big outdoor wood fired pizza oven that needs to be stoked and a smoker that needs to be made ready for a big BBQ this afternoon. Ribs, chicken, oysters, the works! Wish I could have you all here for the party! We could talk MINI mods, drink some great red wines and maybe burn the pizza!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
hmmm... if I bypass a shower, jump in car, drive to Petaluma, I think I can be there by 5pm at the latest! what should I bring.. I think I am going to the gym (notice the word think, because I am still in bed) and buying a storage shed. We are going to have a little BBQ with our neighbors later.

I keep forgetting to put the sway bar on my list. Hey, Does anyone know if lack of LSD with all of our planned mods will be a big issue?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Come on up!

We'll just have finished the pizza hors d'oeuvres and the 4th or 5th bottle of wine. It isn't going to be warm enough to swim (high only 75 today), so will be sticking to playing pool and liar's dice instead...

Seriously, once we have our MINIs, we'll need to have a week 36er's party!

I didn't get the LSD either. (It seems so weird to have those three little letters refer to a car modification... in my world it was a mind modification)

Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
Cool, God save the Queen! (I even have "The Great Rock-N-Roll Swindle" on DVD. Classic Pistols.)

"Never Mind the Bollocks" is a CD that definitely belongs in a British car.

-
My little gem will be crankin' out all kinds of Old Punk tunes. Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Sham 69 ect......

Love the Rock and Roll swindle album, never did buy the movie though, is it good?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
powerband
3rd Gear
The LSD (not of the lysergic acid type ) helps optimize the transfer of power from your wheels to the ground in certain situations, like accelerating out of a turn. The situation can be emerging from a tight cornering or a shopping mall parking lot. If one wheel starts to slip (typically the inside wheel) the power is immediately transferred to the wheel that still has traction.

Without the LSD, the 15% pulley will still be quite useful, just as long as you don't lose traction when accelerating. But then, if you lose traction, whether or not you have a 15% pulley doesn't really matter.

Kissmys, the 22mm anti-sway bar is (as you said) bigger and relatively beefier than the 19mm. According to some of the members (whose opinions I have come to respect), the MINI is small and light enough that the 19mm bar is sufficient for hard cornering. The 22mm bar, being stiffer, increases the chance for the car to oversteer -- that is, the rear end may tend to slide out suddenly when cornering hard (usually while letting off the gas or putting on the brakes).

Looks like a BBQ day! My wife and I are going to our friends' house for a grillin' this afternoon. Ribs, Lobster and margarittas (not as elaborate and mouth-watering as Kissmys's BBQ). I like the idea of a Week 36 BBQ. Maybe Half Moon Bay or somewhere along the coast?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 AM
powerband
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by foomanchu

Love the Rock and Roll swindle album, never did buy the movie though, is it good?
The movie is low production, but then it's the blatant Malcolm McClaren attempt at Swindling money from fans of the Sex Pistols, straight up and no apologies! He was nearly 30 years ahead of his time, trying to mass-market underground punk rock. Now look what's happening on MTV, popular radio stations, and at the shopping malls! Kids listening to Green Day, Blind Melon, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Offspring... the other day I even saw two 12 year olds (probably from the private school two blocks down) hanging out at a local Starbuck's, one wearing "The Exploited" teeshirt and the other a "Husker Du." Man, I love capitalism!

You can rent The Great Rock-N-Roll Swindle from Netflix or from Blockbuster. If you have kids, though, be forwarned of some nudity -- but since it's 1970s nudity, it just makes you want to laugh.

-

Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Boneman...I just saw your post about Sirius from Soundgate. Are you talking about this:

http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...usereferrer=1&

?

Do you know more about it? Like how it hooks in, and what else is needed to do the install? It seems like a much more pocketbook-friendly option than how I was going to do it (by purchasing the OEM Sirius stuff and putting it in myself).

Old 09-03-2006, 05:51 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Well, I climbergirl... I finally got my notice.. I'm one week behind you guys (which is still GREAT!) Moe is scheduled for completion Sept 12.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
Mine's scheduled to be done on the 12th too!!! So that puts me in Production Week 37?

Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Brihyanna
Mine's scheduled to be done on the 12th too!!! So that puts me in Production Week 37?
I believe it does put you in Production Week 37, but you can hang out with us. (We have more posts.)

Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Well, I climbergirl... I finally got my notice.. I'm one week behind you guys (which is still GREAT!) Moe is scheduled for completion Sept 12.
Congratulations!!

As for me, askmini keeps telling me that my car is STILL in the body shop. I am just hoping that it hasn't been updated due to the holiday in the US. I am scheduled for completion on Sept 4th.

Has anyone else called askMINI this weekend and received any updated information? I know that my MCS entered the bodyshop on friday. So far, no change in information. :impatient :impatient. I need to be more productive this weekend, and I just can't make myself because I am obsessing on my MINI! Well, that and margaritas!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Mmmm. Margaritas!

Hang in there, Climbergirl. We won't let the ship leave without you!

Mmmm. Margaritas!

Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Mmmm. Margaritas!

Hang in there, Climbergirl. We won't let the ship leave without you!

Mmmm. Margaritas!
yes... traditional frozen ones, then I stepped it up and made rasberry ones. Yummy! Although, all task that I had assigned myself today didn't get done. Actually nothing I needed to do was done. I have to go back to work soon. I better get on the ball.

Hey, if my bootie stays in that body shop any longer, I bet I will be able to make a new fitness dvd... "MINI, buns of Steel"!

Hey, save me a parking spot with a view.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 AM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Congratulations!!

As for me, askmini keeps telling me that my car is STILL in the body shop. I am just hoping that it hasn't been updated due to the holiday in the US. I am scheduled for completion on Sept 4th.

Has anyone else called askMINI this weekend and received any updated information? I know that my MCS entered the bodyshop on friday. So far, no change in information. :impatient :impatient. I need to be more productive this weekend, and I just can't make myself because I am obsessing on my MINI! Well, that and margaritas!
Apparantly both our D/S's our "stuck" in the body shop. They must be making sure we receive the finest Mini's ever due to the superior color selection

Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 AM
mpbradley
1st Gear
Hi fellow week 36ers (I think). I've found this website a couple of days ago, have called the ASKMINI and they've told me I'm in week 36. When I listen to the robot voice it tells me that I'm "In Production" and scheduled to be completed on the 7th. Above, some of the folks say that they're in the "body shop", if I'm "in production" what does that mean?

I've yet to name my mini which is a MCS with Black roof - Hot Orange, thoughts? I live in NJ (no comment) and the ship comes into Newark, NJ first.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Powerband said
According to some of the members (whose opinions I have come to respect), the MINI is small and light enough that the 19mm bar is sufficient for hard cornering. The 22mm bar, being stiffer, increases the chance for the car to oversteer -- that is, the rear end may tend to slide out suddenly when cornering hard (usually while letting off the gas or putting on the brakes).
Randy Webb the MINI guru of Webb Motorsports recommended the 22mm bar on the soft setting for street use. He told me it results in a neutral balance of over/understeer. The wife nixed LSD, she is gonna regret that decession come our first good Colorado snow storm. She also wants to hold off on the mods for a few weeks to see if Merlin has a lemony side. That's probably good advice but, I'm still going to install the PIAA 540s right away.
We did a little eight mile hike yesterday and are planning on a small BBQ today.
A week 36er party in Cali. It would give me a reason to put on some MINI miles if I could get the wife to shut down the studio for a week. Hey I could photograph the event and that way I could write it off on taxes!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mpbradley
Hi fellow week 36ers (I think). I've found this website a couple of days ago, have called the ASKMINI and they've told me I'm in week 36. When I listen to the robot voice it tells me that I'm "In Production" and scheduled to be completed on the 7th. Above, some of the folks say that they're in the "body shop", if I'm "in production" what does that mean?

I've yet to name my mini which is a MCS with Black roof - Hot Orange, thoughts? I live in NJ (no comment) and the ship comes into Newark, NJ first.
well, it means that your MCS is probably in the body shop with mine and Foo's. They must be having a party because our cars have said in the body shop since friday. Or atleast mine has. I was scheduled to complete production today or tomorrow. Or your car is waiting for us to kick it into gear and move into paint. Either way, you are a 36er! Welcome

Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
::::::::::laying on soft leather couch kicking arms and feet in air yelling "why is my car still in the body shop?":::::::::::wwwwaahhh! I can't focus on anything else until it moves. :impatient :impatient :impatient There had to be a holiday!

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)