1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI - Cold Air Intake (Alta, K&N, M7 AGS, etc) Improves air flow. Stock is a little restrictive but quiet. Alta is loud. K&N somewhere inbetween. M7 AGS very loud but absolute best power gain. Do search and you'll discover more info & opinions than you ever wanted.

Rear sway bar is best first time suspension & bang for your buck performance mod you can make. When deciding between power or suspension mod always go with suspension so the support is already built in when the power is added. Then go get professional performance driving instruction!

Oil changes - It's up to you. There are many different approaches and opinions. None are 100% correct. All have some degree of legitimacy. Again, use the search and you'll find more info & opinions than you can throw a possum at. I did the 1250 & then every 5k myself with Amsoil. I wouldn't trust my local dealer with that possum. Your local dealer might have a great service dept though so again it's what works for you.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
The Wicken Ceremony will cover all MINIs on the Sirius Leader which includes Minx.
Extra early oil changes are just a precaution. Take care of the child and the teenager will be better to live with.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr8Force
Then go get professional performance driving instruction!
This is on my list of things to do once I get the MINI....but I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably affordable one that fits into my schedule!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Hey, eenieMini...

What kind of seats did you get for your doggies? What kind of doggies? I have two Aussies that I'll need to haul around once in awhile and I'd like to fix up the back for them and keep them from drooling/sneaking into the front seat area.

I like your custom license plate. Mine says "NANOKAR" and the plate frame says: SUPERCHARGED on top and FUN!!! on the bottom. Can't wait! The only mods I've committed to are the clear bra kit and window tinting. But I'm sure I'll do the strut tower reinforcement plates and the pulley soon.:impatient But I still haven't even had a return call from my MA to give me any details as to which ship my Minx is on and when it is due. This is a good test of patience (I'm barely passing.):impatient :impatient :impatient
I have long hair chihuahuas they are about 6 and 8 pounds so not teenie chi's but still small dog. I have them in a plastic based riser seat that has a padded bed and a buckle/strap for their harness. I can't recall the name right now (at work) but its a newer seat style I found at Petsmart.. matches (I hope) the gray leatherette... I've seen for your size dogs a mat/cover so you can put the rear seats down and give them the entire back. Then I've seen a net/or some material "gate" that keeps them from coming between the front seats.. I'll see if can find a link again.

I forgot about the strut tower reinforcements I'm def putting those on right away.. its an easy 123 job so I'm comfy with that.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by climbergirl
man, I am getting annoyed at my MA. No one has called me!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Thanks for the PM last week Climbergirl - helped lift my spirits no end

I continue to be happily surprised by my MA (Chris at South Bay) - called me, unsolicited, last week to tell me Polly is on the boat (Sirius Leader) and just to see how things are. Never heard of this from a car salesperson.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
This is on my list of things to do once I get the MINI....but I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably affordable one that fits into my schedule!
join bmwcca (40 per year) and they offer instruction. I am not sure what the cost is. Check it out. What part of california are you in? They are having an autocross here in LA on 10/22. I am going to go watch. Several Socal people will be there.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! Thanks for the PM last week Climbergirl - helped lift my spirits no end

I continue to be happily surprised by my MA (Chris at South Bay) - called me, unsolicited, last week to tell me Polly is on the boat (Sirius Leader) and just to see how things are. Never heard of this from a car salesperson.
I emailed the manager yesterday with some questions. Today I am calling Walied (he switched from MINI to BMW sales). He had been pretty attentive until now. I guess it's about time to pull out the broom.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I'm in NorCal but I would be willing to go south for a couple of days of classes.

They do have them at Laguna Seca but they're prohibitively expensive ($3k for a 2-day class). There is one less expensive one ($500) but it's on New Year's Eve Day and I'll be out of town :(

Old 09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I'm in NorCal but I would be willing to go south for a couple of days of classes.

They do have them at Laguna Seca but they're prohibitively expensive ($3k for a 2-day class). There is one less expensive one ($500) but it's on New Year's Eve Day and I'll be out of town :(
oohh.. hung over on new yrs day learning how to take corners.... interesting. I think that Bmwcca has them all over. I have to renew my membership.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear

There is a BMW performance driving school happening at California Speedway in Fontana, CA (near Ontario) over the week of October 2 - 8. The SoCal BMWCCA folks have the times booked for the weekend (Oct 7-8), but anybody else can go during the week.

They supply the cars so if you want to do the performance car thing (M3's and M6's) you can pay the $1250 for two days. However they also offer a 1 and 2 day non-performance cars programs (using 330's) for $550 and $895 respectively. From the e-mail I received "Save your place behind the wheel now by calling 888-345-4269 to register or for more information, visit bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/PerformanceCenter/school ". I think these are an excellent value especially given they are supplying the cars.

Btw - I will be at the two day (Oct 3-4), and am really excited. JIT training for picking up Polly the following week.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
From what I gather - the Sirius Leader is docking on September 28? If I can tie this down, I might just scoot down to Port Hueneme and take a peek.

I know that BMWCCA has arranged tours of the facilities down there, does anybody know if they are just open to individuals?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:23 PM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
There is a BMW performance driving school happening at California Speedway in Fontana, CA (near Ontario) over the week of October 2 - 8. The SoCal BMWCCA folks have the times booked for the weekend (Oct 7-8), but anybody else can go during the week.

They supply the cars so if you want to do the performance car thing (M3's and M6's) you can pay the $1250 for two days. However they also offer a 1 and 2 day non-performance cars programs (using 330's) for $550 and $895 respectively. From the e-mail I received "Save your place behind the wheel now by calling 888-345-4269 to register or for more information, visit bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/PerformanceCenter/school ". I think these are an excellent value especially given they are supplying the cars.

Btw - I will be at the two day (Oct 3-4), and am really excited. JIT training for picking up Polly the following week.
B-man,

I only saw a 1-day performance course for $1250. Where is the 2-day one listed?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
From what I gather - the Sirius Leader is docking on September 28? If I can tie this down, I might just scoot down to Port Hueneme and take a peek.

I know that BMWCCA has arranged tours of the facilities down there, does anybody know if they are just open to individuals?

Hmm.... I am off work on the 28th. But it could come in at any time during the wee hrs of the morning to the late hrs of the evening. How would we know? It seems like they have scheduled tours. I don't think they would let random people tour the shipping yard... especially after the pope's recent speech! See.. we don't learn from our mistakes.. one holy war requires quotes from a previous one.

If you find out different, let me know. And boneman, good to have you back!

Hey all... I ordered some eyeballs from stoopidgirl. I am going to pick them up on friday. woo hoo. first mod

Old 09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
I love stoopidgirl's eyeballs! Which ones did you order? My MA finally e-mailed me back that she's been out with chest pains (scary!) but is OK. And she'll check on Minx and get back to me tomorrow regarding which ship I'm on (got my fingers crossed that I'm on the SR with my wk. 36 buds...):impatient

Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
under her custom eye's she had a pair of "flirty" green ones... long eyelashes. She had an extra pair. So, those are the ones. They have less veins on the sclera. She said that since Tuls was done with MTTS, they would start doing custom ones again. I am excited. I have been looking at those eyes for awhile.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Yeah... I think I'd prefer the ones that don't look so "stoned." I know the red veins are supposed to be more for flat out power/speed, but they remind me somewhat of the morning after... I really liked the green with long eyelashes too! Those would have been my choice to go with the Royal Grey. And my eyes are green/blue. Still thinking about it...

Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
The Wicken Ceremony will cover all MINIs on the Sirius Leader which includes Minx.
Extra early oil changes are just a precaution. Take care of the child and the teenager will be better to live with.
Polly too? Awesome Between JJ Blue and my wife who's into all that waning moon stuff there will be no problems

Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by foomanchu
B-man,

I only saw a 1-day performance course for $1250. Where is the 2-day one listed?
If you use that link I provided it's on that first page - just scroll down. There are one and two day teen driver schools, one and two day "regular" schools, and the one day performance school that you noted.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Kissmys, I think they would look great on RG. Dan and I both have blue/green eyes. I like the green with the DS. You could order them as well. Then we would be fraternal twins!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear

For driving instruction there is none better (and cheaper) than Phil Wicks! Plus you get someone who knows the ins & outs of how to drive a Mini! You have a class coming to Kali Oct. 30. Hurry up and get signed up!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
For driving instruction there is none better (and cheaper) than Phil Wicks! Plus you get someone who knows the ins & outs of how to drive a Mini! You have a class coming to Kali Oct. 30. Hurry up and get signed up!
FUN! Too bad it's on a Monday :( I'll have to keep an eye on their schedule though, maybe they'll come back.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I think it's called a -cough- -cough- sick day.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Hehe, yeah, but that doesn't work very well in medicine. Appointments to reschedule, etc, etc. More trouble than it would be worth in the end. I'm sure I can hold out until I find one that works with my schedule!

I think it's called a -cough- -cough- sick day.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
So far I've ordered:
Clear bra
OEM Sirius w/assorted installation parts
OEM iPod adapter
Custom roof graphic (although I'm still pondering this, I really want to do it but it can't be done how I want on perforated vinyl, only solid, so I want to see what I think about the sunroof before I finalize)
Grille badge holder/badges
Chrome John Cooper signature badge for hatch
Add bonnet and boot stripes to the list *beats head on desk*

I seriously need to get away from the computer. It's making me broke.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Add bonnet and boot stripes to the list *beats head on desk*

I seriously need to get away from the computer. It's making me broke.
Either my storage shed will overflow or I'll run out of $ - either way, I'm with you

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)