1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"ham-fisted assclown" I might have said ***-monkey, but ham-fisted assclown works, too.

Going to have to write that one down. Surely I'll have a need to use that someday soon...

Old 09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm honestly YET to find a clear bra installer where SOMEONE doesn't have a horror story.

It sort of terrifies me, to be honest :(

Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by abuzavi
"ham-fisted assclown" I might have said ***-monkey, but ham-fisted assclown works, too.

Going to have to write that one down. Surely I'll have a need to use that someday soon...
I used "ham-fisted" because of the context (the installer cutting all the way through the paint while trying to trim the film), but my normal usage is "no-talent assclown".

Scott

Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by docholiday
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.

I just wanted to warn you about Michael Rascon's work. True, he does use 3M material and the film is cut using XPEL's template. However, he makes razor cuts to the film on the car. Per Tim Hartt at XPel, this is not a trained method of installation. I've heard on some other forums that he left razor markings all over their car. PM ME for more information, unless the forum wants me to post the horror stories here.

Who you use to install this is, of course, your decision. If I could do it over again. I'd pay the extra $150 and have it done right..
Where is this Michael Rascon? What area does he install in? Who ever installs my clear bra will have me standing over his shoulder. And I am not against smacking someone up side the head if he takes a razor to my car.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Had a guy come into the studio today to order his sons senior portraits. Turns out he is an area rep for a large window tint and clear bra manufacturer. So I asked him who should I get to install my tint and clear bra. He highly recommended the very firm I'm going to, Joe's Window Tint in Lakewood, Colorado. The funny part is Joe's does not use the same major manufacturers clear bra material. Joe's uses Venture Shield which comes with a lifetime warranty. My source said Venture Shield is a far superior product.
As a side note my source said that indeed they do trim the clear bra on the car by scoring the film but not cutting through it. A skill that all installer do not necessarily posses. Hence the pre-cut kits which cost considerably more and are not quite as good as a custom installation.
That's what my source said and he works for 3.........uh I mean a major manufacturer of tint and clear bra film.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
docholiday
Neutral
I like that... "ham-fisted assclown"

Funny thing was.. I was watching him the whole time and questioning the razor. There came a point where his attitude went sour (about when the template didn't line up and he didn't know what to do) and he asked me to stop talking to him and let him focus.

Odd thing was, if he did my car before..
- why didn't he stop and realize something was wrong?
- why didn't he call XPEL for help right away instead of trying to monkey with it?
- why didn't he install the side panel pieces?
- why didn't he give me $5 in change when I gave him 700 cash?
- why did he take 5 hours, when he told me it was a 2-3hr job?

You're probably asking why I gave him the money when it looked so bad? He told me he'd make it right and that he stands by his word. He also made me late to a job interview and i needed to get him out of my house.

Your also probably wondering why didn't I see the razor markings. I saw one apparent one, in which I pointed out and caused him to stop. The others where right with the plastic. Once we pulled the plastic back... you could see this LINE where the plastic was. How sad.

*sigh...

Anyways, PM me for images if you care.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by docholiday
I like that... "ham-fisted assclown"

Odd thing was, if he did my car before..
- why didn't he give me $5 in change when I gave him 700 cash?
Another odd thing, was he talked me into sending him a deposit to "secure pre-September price increase of another $100". He wanted to be paid in full in advance! I offered $100. He settled with $150. As he is probably reading NAM now, I doubt I'll get my deposit back, but DocHoliday has saved my Minx's proverbial a@#! :impatient

One more thing... and this is a direct copy from his first reply to my request for his services... he wrote the following:

"East Bay BMW used to be my account. However, they're not really above board in terms of taking care of their suppliers."

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Who's taking care of who here? I'd say EBM has their customers in mind, ya think???

Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
We've gotten a delivery appointment...

MINI of Peabody says that we can come down and pick up the SO's MINI on Saturday morning.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Urban Elf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kaszeta

MINI of Peabody says that we can come down and pick up the SO's MINI on Saturday morning.
Huzzah!

And there was much rejoicing.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Urban Elf
1st Gear
Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Congrats!

Originally Posted by kaszeta

Congratulations! I'm jealous! North Bay Mini in California called me last night to let me know that Pegasus Leader is scheduled to land at Port Hueneme October 10th and I won't be seeing Minx until closer to the 20th. Word has it that the Port is working on speeding up their efficiency and if I'm lucky, Pegasus might land there "after" they change up their routine and delivery to NBM might be a few days sooner than usual. This is the hardest part. Waiting, waiting, waiting... :impatient :impatient :impatient Thank God for NAM. It makes the days go a little faster with a great support group!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
North Bay Mini? I thought you used East Bay? Anywhoo... I'm expecting to get MOE about the 20th or so also.... it will come before we know it... seems the Pegasus is just near half way mark on her voyage.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
I just emailed LB Mini and my MA said that they expect the MINI to arrive as early as October 3rd, and as late as the 11th, and that I would probably be able to pick it up the same day it arrives! Now I just have to wait for that call...

Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
East Bay Mini...

Originally Posted by eenieMini
North Bay Mini? I thought you used East Bay? Anywhoo...
No, I'm an EBM customer. It was the only dealer I found near me that didn't charge anything above MSRP. At least we're on the same ship. Moe and Minx will be good friends before they separate. I'm sure we will meet at some local motoring gigs.

I have so much to do between now and then, I'm sure the time will fly by and the 20th will be on us in a flash:impatient ... the sad news is, it looks like I'm going to have shoulder surgery and I won't be able to really enjoy Minx to the fullest for a couple of months. So her break in period will be very gentle. Maybe just as well...

Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
The four Druid High Priest have begun beating the ritual drums. The Mystic Mini's are slowly coming out of thier deep coma. Soon the Sirius Leader will slowly drift into port. They are coming home!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
So confusing.. I think we ARE with the same dealer and maybe you mistyped. I am with East Bay Mini in pleasanton, it is the only northern California dealership who sells at MSRP. I was reading you said you were with North Bay.. I didn't know who that was.

Sorry about the shoulder :( Well, that will help in the long run, we have that stinking break in period to get through before we can doing anything FUN...

I've been cruising around in my Z for the last few weeks to enjoy their superb handling!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eenieMini
So confusing.. I think we ARE with the same dealer and maybe you mistyped. I am with East Bay Mini in pleasanton, it is the only northern California dealership who sells at MSRP.
Oh! I was asking about clear bra installers in the North Bay, but yes, I am definitely with East Bay Mini — so we will most likely meet on pick up day! Maybe we should connect via private message when the day is nearing and actually plan the time to meet there...?

Yeah, I'm bummed about my shoulder. I was hoping to avoid surgery.

Ciao for now.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM
limster
2nd Gear
Just got an email from LB Mini, they were asking about vehicle memory selections. It looks like either the first or second week in Oct. for delivery. I can't wait.

Has anyone priced out Mini for their interest rate on financing our cars? I got 5.64% from Capital One.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Dave69
1st Gear
Know I haven't been very active here, but..

Fellow 36'r, will be motoring this Friday.

Thanks for all the support.

Edit: probably should change my Sig, but who has the time.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
An excellent mod for your new MINI is a classic car badge. Here is a great site with hundreds of them.
http://www.myethnicpride.com/

Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
No, I'm an EBM customer. It was the only dealer I found near me that didn't charge anything above MSRP. At least we're on the same ship. Moe and Minx will be good friends before they separate. I'm sure we will meet at some local motoring gigs.

I have so much to do between now and then, I'm sure the time will fly by and the 20th will be on us in a flash:impatient ... the sad news is, it looks like I'm going to have shoulder surgery and I won't be able to really enjoy Minx to the fullest for a couple of months. So her break in period will be very gentle. Maybe just as well...
Shoulder surgery??? Oh no! Say it isn't so!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Ok, So SB told me that a couple of NYK boats were delayed in coming to port. She didn't know if one was Sirius Leader. The manager told me that she would check tomorrow morning and give me a call. If they the boat is on time, then I should be picking up my MCS next week. My how time fly's. I started having nightmares about my car. How crazy is that?

Kissmys, happy that you discovered that the clear bra guy wasn't such a good guy before he put on your bra.

Yeah, I am off tomorrrow. Hmm.. should I take the dogs for a drive to oxnard??

Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Surgery bummer

Originally Posted by climbergirl
Shoulder surgery??? Oh no! Say it isn't so!!!
Yeah. It has been about 4 mos. of my being in constant pain now and so many tests and physical therapy sessions (with no noticible improvement!) The general consensus is I have a bone spur at the end of my "pointy collar bone tip" that is causing all the pain and overall immobility. The PT says that with some more work on our part together he could help me get back more movement, but in the event I even lift something heavy (known to do that often -- and yes I do use my legs and spare my back) or paddle any real distance again, I'll likely end up in the same bad shape I'm in now — it will be very susceptible to any trauma. We're making decisions late next week. I am so tired of not getting any quality sleep and not being able to use my right arm.

I take off Friday morning to drive to Lancaster (NE of L.A.) to take my 14 yr. old daughter and her friend to an Anima convention. Back on Sunday. Me and an icechest and two crazed teens. If I get any great pics, I'll post them next week.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Drove past a Bavarian Transport truck stopped in the rest area on the way to work this morning, there's a good chance there are MINIs inside so I gave it a friendly beep!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wife said the check arrived in the mail today, and she'll drop off the money tomorrow. In theory? Coop will be in the garage Monday or Tuesday. Woot!

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)