1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Wife said the check arrived in the mail today, and she'll drop off the money tomorrow. In theory? Coop will be in the garage Monday or Tuesday. Woot!
Congrats. I can't wait till I bring my MINI home! You must be so excited.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kaszeta
We've gotten a delivery appointment...

MINI of Peabody says that we can come down and pick up the SO's MINI on Saturday morning.
And it gets more complicated...

State of MA doesn't issue temp plates or registration, and doesn't recognize temp plates from other states. So we have to either have Mini of Peabody drive/trailer it over the state line into NH (where our NH temp plate is legal) or have someone else trailer it.

Of course, it would've been nice if MINI of Peabody told us that earlier...

Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
UrbanElf
Any status report on the Sirius Leader? Since Merlin has come out of his trance I have not been able to mind meld.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
Pulling into Port !!!!*

*Note this photo was taken as I was descending into LAX after flying all night. Excuse the fuzziness

Attached Thumbnails R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)-port.jpg  
Old 09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
And it gets more complicated...

State of MA doesn't issue temp plates or registration, and doesn't recognize temp plates from other states. So we have to either have Mini of Peabody drive/trailer it over the state line into NH (where our NH temp plate is legal) or have someone else trailer it.

Of course, it would've been nice if MINI of Peabody told us that earlier...
Soo... if you buy a car, take a road trip to MA, and you still have your temporary tag on... the police will pull you over, and ticket or worse yet, tow your car because they don't respect temp tags from another state? awww.. come on. That's a load of crap. However, I am having my car trucked out of california because my car will be title in Ohio. I could have titled it in Ohio and paid Cali tax thus allowing me to drive it on cali streets (cuz it's all about the benjamins in cali). I am too frugal. I can truck it and still save almost 2k.

So, if you paid tax to MA, would they let you drive it out? See if they have something called a "one way permit". You can purchase one of those in some states which says that you are immediately driving the car out of state to be registered in another state. Actually, I would contact the DMV in MA and ask them myself.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Soooo... we should be docking. How awesome. I worked out my clear bra deal today (doing invisiashield). I bought the sport link from classic. I asked for a labor quote for installation at pick up. Apparently "MINI" is piloting a program where they do not charge an hourly labor rate for a predetermined group of accessories, rather a set rate based on specific accessories. After all that, they told me it would cost $750 for installation alone. That would make a bike rack system for a car that runs 20-32k,$1300. They said that this preset pricing program was being piloted at MINI dealerships in CA. Why doesn't that surprise me. Soo... I explained to them that I wanted to let MINIUSA know that I was in complete disgust at their attempt to over charge their clients. It's not like it's an expensive car by any means. I also explained to them that if, as a consumer, I tolorate or accept over inflated charges by the dealer on behalf of MINIUSA without making my opinion heard, then nothing would change. I told them that I would take my accessories to an independent shop for installation. I would rather pay $700 to some hard working independent mechanic than corporate america. If I had the dealership install 2 accessories it would cost an additional 1800. That is insane. Shame shame shame on them.

That being said...... we should be driving MINI's some time next week!! woo hooo!!! Who wants to do that happy dance??

Old 09-28-2006, 08:39 PM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Soo... if you buy a car, take a road trip to MA, and you still have your temporary tag on... the police will pull you over, and ticket or worse yet, tow your car because they don't respect temp tags from another state? awww.. come on. That's a load of crap.
According to the RMV person I talked to today, this isn't crap, that's how they do it in MA. And both the NY (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm) and NH (don't have the url handy) registration pages warn you not to try and drive your car with temp or transit plates in MA unless you want to have it impounded.

So, if you paid tax to MA, would they let you drive it out?
Yes, but I would take about two more weeks to get plates. And I think I'm on the hook for the tax (the car tax in NH is annual, so I'd be paying a *lot* more tax).

See if they have something called a "one way permit".
They don't. No temp plates. No transit plates. No one way permits.

NH DMV tells me the usual thing is for the dealer to drive it to the border with the dealer plates and hand it over there. So we're seeing if we can get Mini of Peabody to do that.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Wow..... wow..... and wow again. That is amazing. Unfortunately, it is crap, but crap that ya have to deal with. I am happy that I hadn't mistakenly driven in MA with temp tags. I just want to say wow again in respect to a yearly tax on your car. Really? Like personal properity tax? Man, I am loving Ohio even more. Although I am in the city of angels right now.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
In Colorado, we also pay an annual license fee based on the value of the automobile.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
I just want to say wow again in respect to a yearly tax on your car. Really? Like personal property tax?
Here, there are several taxes and registration fees on the vehicle. The state registration fee. The municipal fee (in NH, plates are issues by your town or city) is based on your vehicle's valuation. It's higher than many states (I remember my first car's plates being $25/year in Michigan), but we're talking a few hundred a year for most vehicles.

Mind you, we don't have a tax on the actual sale of the car like most states (and we don't have sales tax at all, actually), whereas in OH, you pay 5.5% sales (or use) tax when you buy a vehicle, right?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Just lurking around to see how everyone is doing. You all should be getting your cars soon right!? make sure to post lots of pics!!!

OH! and Climbergirl, congrats on snubing the crazy over priced dealer in CA.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sirius Leader update

Originally Posted by foomanchu
Pulling into Port !!!!*

*Note this photo was taken as I was descending into LAX after flying all night. Excuse the fuzziness
Unfortunately that was not the Sirius Leader. I stopped by Port Hueneme on my way home from work yesterday afternoon and there was nothing there. I spoke the delivery center folks there this morning and as I was hanging up my MA call me. Both confirmed that the Sirius Leader has been slightly delayed and is now scheduled to dock tomorrow, September 30.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Urban Elf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
Unfortunately that was not the Sirius Leader. I stopped by Port Hueneme on my way home from work yesterday afternoon and there was nothing there. I spoke the delivery center folks there this morning and as I was hanging up my MA call me. Both confirmed that the Sirius Leader has been slightly delayed and is now scheduled to dock tomorrow, September 30.
I suspect pirates.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
OK.... News on the Siruis Leader

SB manager told me that it pulled into dock last night at 11:09 and like 36 seconds. Tadahhhh.... She said once it is offloaded, the cars usually only take one day for check in, but it does depend on the number of cars. She expects delivery to be early next week. So, all those right around Los Angeles, get your driving gloves on. Oh, the VDC works on saturdays, but only until 2pm.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
The Mystic MINIs are stirring from thier trance. All is askew as the pirates try to board the Sirius Leader but the brave crew is fending them off under the guidance of the good Captain and the blessings of the four Druid High Priest . It is an event of epic proportions , that will soon end in victory and the ultimate landing of the Mystic MINIs on American soil .

Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mizer
Just lurking around to see how everyone is doing. You all should be getting your cars soon right!? make sure to post lots of pics!!!

OH! and Climbergirl, congrats on snubing the crazy over priced dealer in CA.
I was like, Yeah, take that you highway robbers!! Actually, I am a pretty fair person. I never ask for more than I am willing to give, and I only want what is reasonable. I certainly don't mind paying for installation, but not some crazy outrageous price. I could have some nice jeans, new boots for the upcoming season for that money!!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
psychedoc22
1st Gear
vpc

I know all you west coasters are excited about getting your cars but I am from week 34 and my car is still at the VPC from the Torrens which docked on 9/19/06. My MA said the longshoremen are unloading the cars and the VPC is processing them but the teamsters are moving very slowly in transporting the cars to the dealership. Mine is suppoesd to finally arrive at Crevier in Santa Ana on 10/2 and has been at the VPC since 9/20. My MA checked and my car had no damage at all, just awaiting a truck for almost two weeks!!!! Hopefully you guys will have better luck.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Climbergirl posted
SB manager told me that it pulled into dock last night at 11:09 and like 36 seconds. Tadahhhh....
It takes a while for the news to get out here to the Rocky Mountains. Are you saying the battle is over and the Mystic MINIs are in safe harbor?

Old 09-29-2006, 10:32 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Here, there are several taxes and registration fees on the vehicle. The state registration fee. The municipal fee (in NH, plates are issues by your town or city) is based on your vehicle's valuation. It's higher than many states (I remember my first car's plates being $25/year in Michigan), but we're talking a few hundred a year for most vehicles.

Mind you, we don't have a tax on the actual sale of the car like most states (and we don't have sales tax at all, actually), whereas in OH, you pay 5.5% sales (or use) tax when you buy a vehicle, right?
Ohio does have sales tax and I believe they increased it to 7%ish. But, in Ohio, if you trade in a car on your new car purchase, you only pay tax on the difference. In CA they charge sales tax 8.25% on the entire price of the new car even if you had a trade, AND you pay like 2% of the value of your car for registration EVERY year. Where the heck does that money go? Not to their roads! In Ohio tags are about $60. So... 8.25% on 27k and around 500 for registration or 7% on 5k (the difference between my trade and the new car) and $15 to transfer my current tags.

I think that if everyone looked at how much tax we really pay they would be shocked. Never mind... that makes me . It's a happy day... Now I feel like my golden retriever... my mind keeps repeating.. car, car, car, coffee.. um good, car... car.... car..

Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Phsychedoc22 said
but the teamsters are moving very slowly in transporting the cars to the dealership
First we have pirates and now we have Teamsters ! I want my MINI!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
limster
2nd Gear
I just called Long Beach Mini and spoke to my MA and he said that they expect the my car to be at the dealership sometime next week. That would be about one week early. I was told to expect it Mid Oct.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so exciteeeeeed!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by psychedoc22
I know all you west coasters are excited about getting your cars but I am from week 34 and my car is still at the VPC from the Torrens which docked on 9/19/06. My MA said the longshoremen are unloading the cars and the VPC is processing them but the teamsters are moving very slowly in transporting the cars to the dealership. Mine is suppoesd to finally arrive at Crevier in Santa Ana on 10/2 and has been at the VPC since 9/20. My MA checked and my car had no damage at all, just awaiting a truck for almost two weeks!!!! Hopefully you guys will have better luck.
You know when I ordered my 330 a few yrs back, it was at the dealership within the week. Are you sure your car doesn't have damage?? I would ask to see the paperwork from the VDC when you do pick it up. I have already told SB that I want to see the paperwork. They said no problem. Has any other west coasters from your week received their cars?? Hey, I used to flirt with a longshoreman (he was my neighbor). Hmm.. I think I will give him a call... No.. I can't do that even for MINI's. My fiance would be most unhappy.

Yes JJ, our babies are safely in dock. Now the real fear begins. Someone ELSE is driving my car!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Mass sure has some anceint laws, and they apply to more than car registration. But yea, it is a total pain transferring or selling out of state. We don't need temp plates because the insurance company has a stock of plates, and hands one to you when you register. I remember when i first moved here, and they literally opened a drawer of about 10 plates and said pick one!

But I would think if you got a NH temp plate MOP will put that on, and just not be responsible while you take your chances running for the border. I've never heard of someone getting in toruble for out-of-state temps, one of my friends drove around here on them for 2 months. A lot of the laws here are "selectively" enforced.

Yes we get taxed yearly on our cars. But after living in CT it is not nearly as much ast CT. Plus, they go on the base value of the car...so I only pay the depreciated value of a base 04 cooper despite having a JCW S worth twice as much. I think it was about $300 the first year, then $200, etc. You don't think much about it when they rip you 4 grand a year on taxes on your home!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by limster
I just called Long Beach Mini and spoke to my MA and he said that they expect the my car to be at the dealership sometime next week. That would be about one week early. I was told to expect it Mid Oct.
I Hope you're right! I got my car from LB MINI too and would be so excited if it was here by next week. I wasn't expecting mine until mid-October either.

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)