1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boneman
I'll try and swing past on my way home from work on Tuesday and let you all know.
There was nothing visible at Port Hueneme last night - sorry

Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port Hueneme

Thanks for looking. Presently, the shipping schedule shows Pegasus is due tomorrow at 7:00 PM. I will have a welcome toast with my finest Sonoma county Zinfandel at that time to all the W3606ers! Starting the more serious count down...

Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
There was nothing visible at Port Hueneme last night - sorry

Thanks Boneman! I guess this miserable weather is slowing down the ship.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Thanks for looking. Presently, the shipping schedule shows Pegasus is due tomorrow at 7:00 PM. I will have a welcome toast with my finest Sonoma county Zinfandel at that time to all the W3606ers! Starting the more serious count down...
I might just have a newcastle or two....

Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
The madness starts....

I broke down after reading in the PW36 thread about the strut tower problem, and my M7 strut tower reinforcing plates arrived today. Hmmmm, what else will Basil need.....

Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Struts

Homerwest — my struts are here too! I'm looking into the CAI and 15% pulley next. Been shopping around for best tinter in the area. Oh, and I ordered 6 badges and two stickers! So I see you are counting on October 21st... I'm thinking No. CA Pegasus babies will be ready around the 23rd. Maybe we should start a pool...

As far as the toast goes, whatever we toast with will probably be "or two"!

Handn — Great lookin' car and family!!! My husband is 6'3" and loved the room in the MINI we test drove. But the keys will always be in MY pocket (I can be coerced into letting him drive on occassion...)

Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by homerwest
I broke down after reading in the PW36 thread about the strut tower problem, and my M7 strut tower reinforcing plates arrived today. Hmmmm, what else will Basil need.....
The two sets of plates I ordered arrived today, too! One set for my wife's car, which is already showing a little bit of mushrooming on the passenger-side shock tower after only 6,000 miles, and one set for my car os I can install them before I even drive the car home (along with the Whalen shifter).

Scott

Old 10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
strut plates

Hi W36ers... sorry to hijack your thread, but are these the strut plates everyone is ordering?

http://m7tuning.com/main.m7/store/10036

are they really necessary? (I'm assuming the answer is yes based on riquiscott's post). I've read a little about the mushrooming and the strut cracks... do these help minimize both? does anyone know if dealers will put these on?

thanks!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
Hi W36ers... sorry to hijack your thread, but are these the strut plates everyone is ordering?

http://m7tuning.com/main.m7/store/10036

are they really necessary? (I'm assuming the answer is yes based on riquiscott's post). I've read a little about the mushrooming and the strut cracks... do these help minimize both? does anyone know if dealers will put these on?

thanks!
They aren't necessary however they are highly recommended. I have them and they are so stinking easy to put on you'll laugh. Dealer schmealer.

And speaking of wheels & tires...

Old 10-11-2006, 12:44 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gr8Force
They aren't necessary however they are highly recommended. I have them and they are so stinking easy to put on you'll laugh. Dealer schmealer.
thanks Gr8Force... well, they do seem like a very inexpensive preventive measure.

and they do look easy to install, however i'm so far from being mechanically inclined it's not funny. believe me, i don't want to give any more money to my dealer, but i also don't want to screw something up on a brand new car. i'm assuming that these don't invalidate the warranty in any way?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
mini_dreams
Yes those are the ones, you may also install a M7 strut support bar like Gr8Force did but its a bit more expensive ads to the stability of the MINI in cornering.
The install is one of the easiest. Undo the 6 (three on a side) 13mm bolts put on the plates reinstall the bolts and just barely tighten them down. One light grunt or 25 ft/lbs. And you should have no problems from mushrooming. Cracked towers are another story. If you hit a big pot hole or go over a curb at high speed you just might crack the tower but I assume you are a little more careful in your driving than that.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
You see those three nuts holding the plate to tower? Unscrew those, put the plate on and then screw them back on. They don't have to be torqued down with super human strength as you'll strip them but you do want them a little snug. For those with a torque wrench I strapped my down to 30ft/lbs and I haven't had to adjust once.

The strut bar setup is a little more expensive and then I had mine powder coated on top of that so add more $... I've gone so overboard with mods it's not even funny but at least I can point at others that have spent way more than I have on my Mini! Whatever helps me sleep, you know?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Change the ETA...

Schedule now says 6:30 a.m.! Looks like it'll be mimosas!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Kissmys - what schedule are you referring to? I haven't been able to find anything.....

Old 10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Port Hueneme Schedule

Originally Posted by homerwest
Kissmys - what schedule are you referring to? I haven't been able to find anything.....
Go to: http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/

Old 10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
dcdeheer
1st Gear
strut reinforcement plates and insulation

hi all,
my strut plates are on order (should arrive today) but i have a question about installation. has anyone that has installed these had to do anything to their under-bonnet insulation to make room for the strut plates? i have gotten the idea from some threads that some insulation needs to be removed to make room for the plates. thanks for any heads-up you can provide...
happy motoring!
cameron

Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcdeheer
hi all,
my strut plates are on order (should arrive today) but i have a question about installation. has anyone that has installed these had to do anything to their under-bonnet insulation to make room for the strut plates? i have gotten the idea from some threads that some insulation needs to be removed to make room for the plates. thanks for any heads-up you can provide...
happy motoring!
cameron
Some people who install strut braces have problems with the insulation (a strut brace connects the two strut towers with rigid bar to reduce body flex on cornering). The strut plates just sit on top of each strut tower and should not interfere with the bonnet or the bonnet insulation.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
rachaelstarr
3rd Gear
im a little confused... on the san diego vessel schedule, it lists the name of the ship and then 'last port'. If I'm not mistaken, the time it lists is the time that it is due into the San Deigo port?

Like for instance, the Pegasus leader is due into San Deigo port 10/12 at 6:30 or is that the time it will dock at Port Hueneme?

I'm on the Equueles leader which is also listed on there...

Old 10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rachaelstarr
im a little confused... on the san diego vessel schedule, it lists the name of the ship and then 'last port'. If I'm not mistaken, the time it lists is the time that it is due into the San Deigo port?
My hope is that the pegasus has already been to Port Hueneme, offloaded our minis, then sailed to Long Beach, and then down to San Diego. Of course, Long Beach and Port Hueneme don't have that sort of sofistimication to publish a schedule.... I'm only guessing. Boneman did not see the pegasus on Tuesday night (gone by then?).

Old 10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
unfrostedpoptart
1st Gear
Argh! They're trying to drive me insane!

Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart
My MA at Crevier emailed me that he finally got a status on my car. I was beginning to think it got lost deep in the Sirius Leader. He doesn't have a firm delivery from the trucking company, but it should at the dealer by Monday or Tuesday. Add a day for the roof graphics & other dealer stuff and I should have it by the middle of the week! Yay!

I went by there at lunch today so they could give my '03 MC a final check for the trade-in value. The car is in virtually perfect condition and I've been totally paranoid the last few weeks that someone was going to hit it before I could trade it in. Just a few more days now...

David

today: '03 MC, Red/White, Checkerboard roof, red/tartan seats/interior, CVT
next week: '06 MCS, Red/White, Checkerboard roof & sideview caps, white R84 wheels, red/tartan seats, red dash/interior & shift ****, 6-speed, JCW checkerboard floormats
So, the ship arrived on Sept 30. Sometime between Oct 5th and 9th the VDC finally got it. Now, an MA at Crevier (mine's off today) tells me it's scheduled to ship on the 18th and arrive on the 19th!! What are they doing to my car for almost two weeks at the VDC!?!?!?!? I could drive up there in under two hours and just take it!

Damn - I wanted to drive it to the SCMM Ruby's breakfast this weekend.

David (trying to calm down)

Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Urban Elf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by handn
After much despair and a seemingly endless wait (and a lot of complaining- I felt like I was 12 years old and someone told me Santa had left the presents, but Christmas was delayed for a couple of days ) I FINALLY got the call today that my MCS was at the dealership.

However, when we got there to pick it up, my daughter had other ideas about what car she was going home in:

After much negotiating, we stuck with the original plan: (dark pic, better ones to come later)

Yay! More pictures!!!

Love the SB/S!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:27 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
thanks JJ and Gr8 for info on the strut plate install. perhaps i will try this mod. sounds simple and seems like a little added insurance is always a good thing.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Remember thats when its arriving in San Diego AFTER Long Beach which assumedly is after Port Hueneme.... so in my estimation the MINIs have landed!

Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rachaelstarr

Like for instance, the Pegasus leader is due into San Deigo port 10/12 at 6:30 or is that the time it will dock at Port Hueneme?

I'm on the Equueles leader which is also listed on there...
I had a pic of the Equueles Leader going through Panama Canal the other day... I'll see if I can find it...

Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Remember thats when its arriving in San Diego AFTER Long Beach which assumedly is after Port Hueneme.... so in my estimation the MINIs have landed!
I think you are right! Why hasn't my dot moved on the OL? I like moving dots....

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)