1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by uscfan
Thanks for the info riquiscott! I hope the install goes smoothly...
I'm sure it will go just fine - there's not much that you can mess up with the strut brace install.

I just received the M7 Strut Tower Plates for my car and my wife's car. I went with the plates instead of the bar so that the cars would stay eligible for Stock class in autocross competitions. My car hasn't arrived yet, but I got the plates put in my wife's car a few days ago.

You'll be glad that you're putting the brace on early. My wife's car had enough mushrooming on the passenger strut mount that the M7 plate wouldn't even go on until I flattened the shock tower back out. And that was with less than 6,000 miles on the car.

Scott

Old 10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbergirl
RG will do quite well with a little jewelry. DS with pinstriped stripes and jewelry? Nope... it would be like a big gigantic broach with pretty earrings. One or the other, but not both.
Has anyone else received a MINI cake? It was umm umm good.
Yeah, I agree! Without any stripes at all, Minx could use a little earring stud or two. No, I haven't received a MINI cake, nor do I expect to this soon. I still don't even have an ETA for my dealer yet!:impatient

Old 10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
The time has been announced, the place determined, the conditions set. October 17th at the eves hour (6:00 PM RMST) Merlin will be unto the Highways and Byways of the Great Rocky Mountain Region and beyond. And yes, he will be adorned with 16" inch wheels and emblazoned with a classic brass England gear badge on his lower grill. His face shall be adorned with a Venture Shield and the mirror to his soul protected with Formula 1 35% tint. He will shed light unto darkness with his PIAA 540's and soon, oh so soon his voice will cry out with the sound of a 15% pulley and he shall breath fire from his Webbsport CAI!
Clear Creek Canyon, Deer Creek Canyon, Bear Creek Canyon, Golden Gate and Highway 287 beware. An Ancient Irish Snake is about to be unleashed. Pikes Peak bow down before your Master. The Wizard has arrived.
Just as soon as the DMV has registerd his existence that is. There will be no sleep in Edgewater, Colorado come Monday night.

So Mote it Be

PS Everyone says I'm to dramatic. What do you all think?

Old 10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
You guys, that's way too much! I am paying $229 for all around including sunroof. Life time guarentee. The product is made by formula one. I had the same tint on my BMW, and numerous friends have gone to the same place. 500 is way over priced. I would check around. At the dealership you are paying high labor rates.

You are right Kissmys. I have a serious shopping addiction right now!! And Handn isn't helping me either. Now I may have to buy the Koni's FSD.
Yeah thats why I told them I'd handle it on my own.. wasn't paying 450... I have a highly recommended guy in San Ramon doing the tints (driver/passenger in light tint... then dark all the rest including sunroof) $200.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
The time has been announced, the place determined, the conditions set..... snip.......The Wizard has arrived.
Just as soon as the DMV has registerd his existence that is. There will be no sleep in Edgewater, Colorado come Monday night.

So Mote it Be

I love it!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Slaying the Front ShockTower Dragon

You have all been warned of the Mushrroom Beast and the resolve of Sir M7STS . There is even more danger lurking in the heart of the Front Shock Tower Dragon :impatient . This evil will eat at the very heart of your MINI . It will contaminate all that passes through it with MUD, SALT, DIRT and WATER . A witches brew ment to age and corode the sacred engine compartment . It is here where the Wise Master Engineers at Castle BMW have once again failed . Behold the simplest of MINI mods, the cheapest of MINI mods . The ultimate solution to the dread Front Shock Tower Dragon........
http://www.americanminimates.com/misc.html
Let it be known among one and all that I sing the praises of the afore mentioned American Mini Mates but, I am in no way thier champion or agent. But I say this to one and all......It is time to cap the FST Dragon .

Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
handn
3rd Gear
Dramatic or not, it's good to see another PW36-er seeing light at the end of their tunnel!

Grats!

Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Urban Elf
I just gave my MINI his first bath and wax this morning.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo good... I wanna do it again.
Don't forget to clay bar it soon! So much to learn about properly taking care of your baby's skin.

Climbergirl
I know, bling is over rated but ...
Wash your mouth out right now and repeat "Bling is King!" three times then go ponder the essence of bling for three days in a Tibetian monestary.

Originally Posted by riquiscott
You should probably also have a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to 25 lbf-ft, although you can probably rent one from an auto parts store for a nominal fee.

The various pieces of the STB look to be held together with allen bolts, so you'll need an allen key if one doesn't come with the brace.

Scott
You'll definitely want to get a torque wrench especially if you're autocrossing. The lug nuts tend to get a little loose sometmes. You'll want to wratchet them down to 90ft/lbs. I don't autox but I do take the wheels off to wax them so I want to make sure to put them back on properly.

The STB is easily mounted in 10 minutes at the most with the 13mm & the hex keys that come with the kit.

And it was a year ago this last Thur Oct 12 that Icarus was delivered into my hands. Thanks to all of you for helping me remember the emotions and thoughts that led up to that grand and glorious occasion. I'm excited for all of you as you take delivery of your baby. For those who haven't yet, hang in there. You'll see them soon and remember, patience is the key.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
The Christening

Two things happened in the last few days:

1. We hit 1250 miles.

2. Motor's vanity plates finally arrived:

Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
You have all been warned of the Mushrroom Beast and the resolve of Sir M7STS . There is even more danger lurking in the heart of the Front Shock Tower Dragon :impatient . This evil will eat at the very heart of your MINI . It will contaminate all that passes through it with MUD, SALT, DIRT and WATER . A witches brew ment to age and corode the sacred engine compartment . It is here where the Wise Master Engineers at Castle BMW have once again failed . Behold the simplest of MINI mods, the cheapest of MINI mods . The ultimate solution to the dread Front Shock Tower Dragon........
http://www.americanminimates.com/misc.html
Let it be known among one and all that I sing the praises of the afore mentioned American Mini Mates but, I am in no way thier champion or agent. But I say this to one and all......It is time to cap the FST Dragon .
Two questions oh wise one. Will the M7 strut supports accomplish the same thing and if not, will the strut supports fit properly over the end caps?

Congrats on your delivery, your gonna love it.

Got my stripes yesterday and will post pics as soon as it quits raining here !!!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by foomanchu
Two questions oh wise one. Will the M7 strut supports accomplish the same thing and if not, will the strut supports fit properly over the end caps?
Both the Strut Brace:

And the Strut Reinforcement Plates:

Are open in the center, so they will not keep outside crap from coming up through the opening in the strut tower. But, they will not interfere with the plastic caps, so you can use the plastic caps with either the strut or the plates.

Scott

Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
The strut suppot function will not be hindered by the caps in any way. There is a large hole in the middle of the strut support that is way bigger than the caps. I believe that the caps will prevent moisture and dirt build up between the M7 STS and the actual tower thereby preventing the possibility of rust. I will be installing both on Merlin next Wednesday night.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Be still, my heart...

Lil' Blue is READY - she's sitting, lonely, awaiting me until Monday morning at 10:30 AM.... argh... I have check in hand, title to my old POS, photos of my new grrl, and no possible way I can get there until Monday....

This is killin' me...

Old 10-14-2006, 01:41 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
That is on fine looking lady. You won't be sleeping Sunday night.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:10 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Checkin' in... still waiting...

Yes, indeedy. Very pretty lady! Looking forward to more pics! Still waiting to hear when Minx will be at EBM. Killing time with every distraction possible. Tonight the husband and I are meeting friends in S.F. for dinner and a live performance at the Warfield of Government Mule. Of course my right shoulder is in extreme pain, so won't be doing any crazy dancing... more like doing codeine.

ClimberGirl: I've had my second cortesone shot yesterday. More PT is on the horizon. I think it is a lost cause. And due to advice you've given me and a neighbor in agreement, I'm calling a halt to the shots after this last one. In no way do I want to have muscle atrophy! I have a lot of paddlin' and motorin' to do and will need strong shoulder muscles!

So what's a good price for clear bra installation??? I'm getting quotes all over the block. And it is so imminent (I'm still thinking I'll first set eyes on Minx on Sat. Oct. 21st — a wild but somewhat educated guess...)

Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Let's hear it for bling!

Originally Posted by Gr8Force
Wash your mouth out right now and repeat "Bling is King!" three times then go ponder the essence of bling for three days in a Tibetian monestary.
I got my sweetly wrapped package of 6 magnetic badges and two stickers in today's mail. I feel that much closer to Minx and things I know she'll want to project on her front grill! Every little package is soooo special now. I just want to hug her, bling her and take her out to flaunt — oops, we MINI owners must be more humble, practice being humble, yes, I can do humble... (but I am screaming/laughing/being twisty silly on the inside (and I haven't even driven her yet!!!):

Old 10-14-2006, 05:27 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
financing

Hi PW36 team -

I remember reading somewhere (PW36 thread?) about cheap financing through the PTA. Does this ring a bell to any of you? Thanks!

Old 10-14-2006, 06:03 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Clear Bra pricing

Originally Posted by kissmys
So what's a good price for clear bra installation??? I'm getting quotes all over the block. And it is so imminent (I'm still thinking I'll first set eyes on Minx on Sat. Oct. 21st — a wild but somewhat educated guess...)
Lots of threads on clear bra if you search around. It is truly all over the map. I thought about doing it myself for a couple of weeks, and eventually decided to pay the pros. I called around and all the prices around here were within a hundred bucks or so - so I went with the X-pel guy who works with the MINI dealer - because I've seen other MINIs he's done and seems to do good work. The curves on some of these cars are so significant, I think you really are best to find someone with lots of experience on the particular model - versus just someone who has had "training" and has done a bunch of Lexi or whatever...

Anyway - in my case, I got:
Bonnet
Front Bumper
Heads & Fogs
Mirrors
Door Cups
Door Edges
Door Edge around tailgate
Stone guards

Total was $699 installed - and hey, it's financed with the car... and warranted for 5 years... and if it starts to have issues I can gripe at the DEALER about it because they recommended the Xpel guy (and profited from it a bit, I'm sure).

Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by homerwest
Hi PW36 team -

I remember reading somewhere (PW36 thread?) about cheap financing through the PTA. Does this ring a bell to any of you? Thanks!
alliant credit union.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
clear bra between 500-600.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:57 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still on the search for a good clear bra guy :( Everytime I find one, someone has a horror story...except Clear Armour, who wants $1100!

So I either need to stop reading clear bra horror stories, or suck it up and pay the crazy money. But I need to get it done cuz I want to get my stripes on!

I did my parcel shelf today - easy, I broke a nail in the process but I'm not what I would call "handy", so if I can do it, anyone can. I can tell it's going to be useful and it actually gives a little more knee room.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Compensating
Lil' Blue is READY - she's sitting, lonely, awaiting me until Monday morning at 10:30 AM.... argh... I have check in hand, title to my old POS, photos of my new grrl, and no possible way I can get there until Monday....

This is killin' me...

What remarkably good taste you have! Your photos made my day!

Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
alliant credit union.
Thanks CG!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Homer - it is Alliant, and the contact girl is Marlene. She told me to tell all ya'alls that you're welcome to give her a ring. 800.328.1935 x 2175. You can tell her that Jessie in LA sent you. With good credit, it's 4.75% up to 72 months, and automatic withdrawal from your account. I think it goes up if you don't do automatic. Her hours are odd, like 7-3 central time, so mornings are best to catch her. Then they'll overnight you the check when the app clears.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:38 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Soon the last of the Mystic MINIs will be loaded off of the Pegasus Leader and all will be home. Will we forget our roots? W3606. Will we be bound by the last cry of the supercharched MCS? The last of the raising headlights. The last of the free spirited MINIs.
We are the last of a motoring generation. We are the Mystic MINIs. May we always feel the spirit and take the time to recognize eachother.

So Mote it Be

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)