1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abuzavi
CG, how many weeks until that grins comes off your face? Has that betting pool started yet?
I always have a smile with a spirited ride!!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart
Hi all.

Still loving my new car. It's been over 12 years since I drove a stick, but I haven't stalled or miss-shifted once!

A little heads-up for people getting their Minis: they recently changed the default settings so that holding the unlock button on the key does not lower the windows. I'm sitting at Crevier service right now while they change it on my car (create waiting room, with WIFI, phones, a coffee shop).

Just wanted people to know - I use this feature all the time to cool off the car as I'm walking to it.

Later,

David
Ditto!! I love that feature and tried to use it the other day. Not happy to have to go back to the dealership and have it reprogrammed, but estatic that it can be activated!!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
Okay, finally - pictures! Clear bra and stripes got done today. I still have to do the boot stripes but that's cool

Beautiful MLWagner!! I saw a pw/pw at linens and things today. Very sophisticated looking.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Wagner, your stripes look very polished and classy. They must look even better to you after the DIY
Kissmys - have you heard delays regarding your car? This from my MA today:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I got an update on your car today. It is at the port. We have about 12 cars there. Half of them say eta of the 21st and the others say eta 27th. Unfortunately yours is in the 27th group. I'm thinking it might be an error however because they don't usually keep the cars there that long. I'm going to have quite a few bumped customers if this is true. I'll get you the numbers today, but the eta is out of my hands, we're kind of of at the mercy of Bmw north America on that one.

[/SIZE][/FONT]:( Hoping it's an error. Wondering if you heard anything. Seems like, you, Homer, and myself are the last of the group to get our babies. I was picturing myself motoring happily along by now...sniff... sniff

Old 10-18-2006, 09:02 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
A wee part of me too...

Originally Posted by yonahleyah
You're like a sister... obviously, after going through this together, I'm happy for you.... but a wee wil part of me wants to throttle you for having your car already,
I'm with you Yonahleyah! A wee part of me is full of envy, but I never lose sight of the fact that I'll get my turn soon. And we week 36er girls are all sisters, for sure (and it appears we all fit into the "sassy" category quite handsomely!) I'm filling my time now deciding which "car care" products I should buy from Griots or Zaino? so I'll be ready to perform ultimate spoiling as soon as I bring Minx home. I can't ever remember being excited about polishing a car before, and I've owned plenty of new cars. But this one is just different... or maybe it is all the NAMer input that gets under one's skin. In either case, I vow to never take Minx through an automatic car wash!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Looking into it...

Originally Posted by yonahleyah
Hoping it's an error. Wondering if you heard anything.
Sent an email to my MA tonight and will let you know anything I find out. Let's think positive! What is your MA's name?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
I'm with you Yonahleyah! A wee part of me is full of envy, but I never lose sight of the fact that I'll get my turn soon. And we week 36er girls are all sisters, for sure (and it appears we all fit into the "sassy" category quite handsomely!) I'm filling my time now deciding which "car care" products I should buy from Griots or Zaino? so I'll be ready to perform ultimate spoiling as soon as I bring Minx home. I can't ever remember being excited about polishing a car before, and I've owned plenty of new cars. But this one is just different... or maybe it is all the NAMer input that gets under one's skin. In either case, I vow to never take Minx through an automatic car wash!
talk about detailing addiction. I still haven't decided what products to use, but I have some p21s from my bmw. So... I started detailing yesterday. Lost the daylight, planned on finishing up this morning only to find my baby covered in dust from the road paving/construction in my alley!! This evening, I rewashed my car, polished and waxed it. I ran out of daylight again before I could wax the rims. I will do that this weekend. But, going through this detailing ordeal, I have started to compile a list of items I want for Sassy. Hey, it's another reason to shop.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
When I press my unlock button once it opens the drivers door, twice it unlocks he passsenger and boot door and thrice opens the sunroof and windows.
When I exit Merlin I press the lock button once to lock everything and the insert the key into the door lock and turn it to close both windows and the sunroof. That is an option I would prefer was on the key (maybe two presses of the lock button).
I have installed the M7 STS and tower caps. Worked out a sweet mounting system using the large cup holder to mount my Garmin 330 GPS (more on that later in the Nav/Radio forum). If the weather holds I will be installing the PIAA540s and the England badge this weekend.
Ran into a Porche Carrera today and for some reason he wanted to play. No way was I going there, then we hit the twisties. He chickened out if you can believe that . I never once felt out of control of the car and I maintained the speed limit + 5 MPH through the twisties. He just smiled, waved and took off once we hit the straights. I've had a few Honda challenges but I won't play that game on the public streets. I've only hit 5Gs twice and Merlin screams to do it all but he is just going to have to wait for another 1150 miles.
I have not yet ran into a fellow MINI but, I keep looking.
Merlin is one filthy boy today but I am going to give him a good bath on Sunday in prep for the clear bra and tint.
MLW79
That is a nice ride you got there. I love the silver penstripes.
CG
I love the snow too. We do a lot of snowshoeing. Colorado native and I have never been on a set of skis nor do I ever intend to. Do a lot of hiking but you would never get me on a rockface playing Spiderman. The old vertigo and acrophhobia just can't deal with it. I make it a habit to stay 5 feet away from the ledges of cliffs. I will knock down an eight to tweleve mile hike in a day with no problem. I like hanging out between 7,000 to 12,000 feet ASL. My wife had me climb a fourteener once, at about 13,500 I thought I was going to die. That was before the lightening moved in, then I knew I was going to die and we were off the peak before noon but not below timberline.

Hey I'm rambling. Merlin wishes a good evening to all the Mystic MINIs and where in the world is Minx? (Sigh)

Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Somewhere near No. CA...

Originally Posted by JJ Blue
Hey I'm rambling. Merlin wishes a good evening to all the Mystic MINIs and where in the world is Minx? (Sigh)
Last I heard is she is due in at Pleasanton (about 1 hr. east of here) this Friday. I am bugging my MA every day! :impatient Even though I can't pick her up until next Tuesday, I'm thinking of sneaking over there on Saturday just to get a peek. (While Michael's fishing...) But then part of me thinks I shouldn't see her in her "undetailed" state. Sigh, goodnight to Merlin and ya'all!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
One more thing. I love the snow too! Remember, I'm a Montana girl through and through. Don't ski either (tried it, liked it, couldn't afford it...) but walking, trudging through drifts, ice skating, making "snow angels"... love the snow! I really DID walk to school a 1/2 mile in deep snow for 8 years (yeah, mom... we've heard that story a million times!)

Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
unfrostedpoptart
1st Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Ditto!! I love that feature and tried to use it the other day. Not happy to have to go back to the dealership and have it reprogrammed, but estatic that it can be activated!!
First, I meant to write "great waiting room", not "create waiting room."

Yes, it's great to have the window feature back! My MA sent me the list of programmable options, but I didn't say anything about this since it was listed as the default setting. Unfortunately, they recently (since the list was made) changed this to default to not enabled.

Question for everyone about wheel cleaning. As I anticipated, I totally love the white R84s on my car. Unfortunately, also as I anticipated, they start to get dirty about five minutes after being cleaned!

Can anyone recommend a product/procedure to give them a quick wipe-down every day or so?

Thanks,

David

Old 10-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Yep, change your brake pads to low dust pads for a start. You'll still get brake dust but not five min after cleaning them.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:02 AM
foomanchu
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gr8Force
Yep, change your brake pads to low dust pads for a start. You'll still get brake dust but not five min after cleaning them.
Not recommended from what I'm told.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Quick wipe down...

Can anyone recommend a product/procedure to give them a quick wipe-down every day or so?

Thanks, David
I just ordered a Turtle Wax product that is a good protectant and ultra shiney finishing product that is supposed to somewhat repel dirt, bugs, water, etc., called "Ice". I had read about many NAMers really liking it as an inbetween major waxes touch up product -- leaves no residue at all and works virtually on every surface, from leather and paint to tires. Sounds like it would work well on white wheels! Check out this web site and look at the ICE product. http://www.turtlewax.com/

I don't think you can buy it in any regular store, so I just ordered it to avoid trying to track it down. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using ICE as a wheel wax and it works pretty well. I don't really like it on the paint (not glossy enough for me) but it's good on the wheels and then I can just use a detailing spray (I like Griot's Speed Shine but have some Prima Slick coming as well) in between washes to get the dust off. The dust is god-awful!!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already had it programmed thank goodness. One thing I learned though it that you can wind the windows back up with the key in the door lock (hold it to the right I think). I always hate having to get back in when I forget to wind the up.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Originally Posted by foomanchu
Not recommended from what I'm told.
What advice you follow or do not follow is up to you. I know beyond a doubt though that low dust brake pads have been in use on Mini's for years with no issues. Good luck cleaning your wheels every day.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
It's probably the Green Stuff pads he's cautioning against. There have been reports of them warping rotors when sitting with the brakes applied.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Ultra Slick Poly Wipe Spray Detailer - Anti-Static #425

This is the slickest stuff I've ever used and it is very shiny too! Maker claims "Reduced dust attraction" Get it here: http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

Old 10-19-2006, 11:13 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Same here, that's on our list for them to fix when we go in to get the radio snafu looked at.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:15 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Yes, it's great to have the window feature back! My MA sent me the list of programmable options
By the way, since we're going back to get the window thing fixed, anyone have a pointer to the full list of programmable options (I've seen them posted, but I'm not finding anything easily via the forum search)

Old 10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
handn
3rd Gear
Been out of town all week, but it's been fun seeing all the new pics! Managed to sneak away from work and get at least one more shot of my new baby:

Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Sent an email to my MA tonight and will let you know anything I find out. Let's think positive! What is your MA's name?
Hey girl.. I got my Z3 sold today so I'm carless... any news from your end? Blair told me Monday expect a week.. same day Shelly told you its in on Friday... so I'm hoping mine is on the same truck as yours. I have nothing for them to install so all they gotta do is check him in and give me a call. Let me know if you hear anything from your MA I left a voice mail for Blair just a few mins ago....

Old 10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by handn
Been out of town all week, but it's been fun seeing all the new pics! Managed to sneak away from work and get at least one more shot of my new baby:

VERYYYYYYYYYYYY NICE!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
They're there!

Originally Posted by eenieMini
Let me know if you hear anything from your MA I left a voice mail for Blair just a few mins ago....
I just heard from Blair and he said they were detailing Minx as we spoke. I'm assuming if your car and mine have come this long way together on Pegasus, it is likely that yours is likely at EBM too. They were due tomorrow. SO it is a day ahead of schedule. Blair is good about returning calls... hopefully it is good news and you'll be picking up your MINI by this weekend!

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)