1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:23 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing mine is sailing in with yours. I also need to prepare a sale of my current car. Craig's List, no doubt. But since this is my first time selling a car on Craig's List, what is the usual method of payment, to be safe from scams, etc.? Do I accept a cashier's check only? Do I get all of the buyer's personal information such as driver's liscense numbers, liscense plate numbers (if they're driving), so that it lowers potential for scams? Anyone had experience in this area and can provide suggestions for those of us preparing to sell? Help, I'm a little nervous :(

Thanks

Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79

For the clear bra, I'm going to Clear Armor... in San Carlos. I need to get a firm quote from them first, though.
I live in Menlo Park, basically down the street from Clear Armor. I have heard nothing but good work from these guys. I'm definitely going to them. It would be a funny coincidence if our cars end up at the shop together.

John

Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
*squeals and skips around the house*

I just checked my online status and I'm FINALLY scheduled and here I am!

My husband is sure I've lost my damn mind. I yelled "WOOHOOOOO" so loud I'm sure I woke up the whole neighborhood

Yayyyyyy I'm so excited!

* (I'm in the right spot, right? If the automated line tells me my car is "in production" and says it is scheduled to be completed on September 3rd?)
Hey.. you guys ordered from East Bay Mini didn't you? I need to get me a date my online status says no confirmed date yet... I am calling a "real person" on Monday.. I ordered from EB on 7/23... I wanna be in this group!! Maybe since yours is not the S you got in before me... if so, at least I'm not too far behind you guys! I too need to get onto selling my Z3... Concord Mini offered (an offhand offer not official) only 11-12k

Old 08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I'm considering just eBaying it. East Bay hasn't given me an inkling of what they'd give for it (and it being a Chevy Cavalier, I'm sure they don't even WANT it), but KBB trade-in is between $4-5k. Similar ones in similar condition are going on eBay for about $5500. I'm thinking I'll just put it on a 10-day eBay when it gets a lil closer and then link it up on craigslist. The good news it that it's in pretty much perfect condition aside from some stone chips on the hood, and a windshield chip that I acquired a couple days ago that will be fixed tomorrow...so I know it should sell okay...it's just a pain!
How do you ebay it? My car is an 04 bmw 330i. I was under the impression that it would cost a lot to do it that way. A few yrs ago when I sold my 94 Honda accord, I just listed it in auto trader. The first person that called, bought it. It was easy. He gave me cash, I gave him a bill of sale with all the car info, my info and his info written in. Made sure I put sold as is. Signed it with a witness and wahhla. Deal done! With my bimmer since it's a significant amount more, I will be double checking all of the information or loan/cashier check. I think I will take the person to the bank with me. Plus, I can't sign over title until the bank ok's the check and releases it. Thats why sometimes I think its better to trade it in. As for the windshield chip, don't you hate it when you are about the sell something and some how it aquires some damage? Someone dinged my door last week. My first ding in this car. I could not believe it.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
eenimini, I think powerbands car is an S. Did you call today? The automated system might have some new information. It certainly did for me.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Hey.. you guys ordered from East Bay Mini didn't you? I need to get me a date my online status says no confirmed date yet... I am calling a "real person" on Monday.. I ordered from EB on 7/23... I wanna be in this group!! Maybe since yours is not the S you got in before me... if so, at least I'm not too far behind you guys! I too need to get onto selling my Z3... Concord Mini offered (an offhand offer not official) only 11-12k
I ordered from EB on 8/2. My production date literally came up today. I checked last night and it was still "on order". But I know the "S"es are in higher demand so that's probably it but you're also probably not too far behind! But definitely call - it's getting close enough that you should know soon!

Originally Posted by climbergirl
How do you ebay it? My car is an 04 bmw 330i. I was under the impression that it would cost a lot to do it that way.
You just list it on eBay motors. It might cost a lot though, to be honest I haven't looked into the fees. AutoTrader is a good idea though - how long did it take for you to get the call when you did that?

I don't know anything about turning over the title though - that's the ONLY thing that makes me want to just trade it in and take whatever they give me. I'll have to dig around on DMV's website.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I think you just have to sign over the title. The form should be on the back of the original title. The purchaser has to take the title that you signed to the DMV and pay title transfer fee's and taxes. On auto trader it seemed like it took 2 wks. My girlfriend and her husband have sold 3 cars off of craigslist (97 civic, 03 bmw, and 95 forerunner). All within a few days of listing them. They had absolutely no luck with auto trader. I am putting the bmw on craigslist and a few bmw specific websites. Heck, that is if I get around to taking the pictures tomorrow. Good luck on selling your car. It should sell fairly quick! much easier to come up with 6k instead of 26k.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Hmm...craigslist is probably the ticket then. I hope it goes fast, I just want to be rid of it! Even though it really has been very good to me.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
The robot at ASK MINI quoted that my MCS completion date is September 4th.

So, if I still owe the bank for my current car that I want to sell, can the buyer pay my bank directly?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
If it were me, I'd take the buyer to the bank with you, and do the whole deal in person so they know the title is clear.

I looked up the requirements in CA for the DMV...all you have to do is sign over the title and then there is a form to fill out that releases you from liability should they fail to re-register the car and then get a ticket or get in an accident or something. Attached are the two forms you need. You just fill them out with the buyer, the buyer takes the one for the title and sends it in with appropriate fees, and the liability waiver one you send in yourself (just to CYA).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
reg227.pdf (509.7 KB, 447 views)
File Type: pdf
reg138.pdf (539.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 08-27-2006, 09:04 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
MLWagner, great response. And thank you for the attachments. I think it's best to take the buyer to my bank with the paper work (attachments) filled out.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
soo.. eeniemini finishes on the 3rd, powerband, on the 4th, and me on the 5th. Yeah... no traffic jams now!

Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 AM
handn
3rd Gear
meh. still no confirmed production date, just "week 36". I swear it's my lack of sunroof that's slowing me down... for now.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Climbergirl... and others... did you get your production date from calling and talking to a real person, or have your blue dots moved down from "on order" to "in production" in the MINI owner's lounge? I ordered my MINI on July 29th and was told I was in production week #36 a few days later. But, alas, my blue dot hasn't moved one iota since then.

It occured to me that if I don't find a place near Pleasanton (East Bay Motors) that can install the clear bra on the day my NANOKAR is delivered, it could get a ding just driving it to the one 3M vendor in S.F. :impatient Doing my homework now to see if I can set something up... does anyone know of a reputable clear bra installer in the east bay (I don't want to pay EBM's markup?)

Old 08-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kissmys
Climbergirl... and others... did you get your production date from calling and talking to a real person, or have your blue dots moved down from "on order" to "in production" in the MINI owner's lounge? I ordered my MINI on July 29th and was told I was in production week #36 a few days later. But, alas, my blue dot hasn't moved one iota since then.
Alas it seems to take at least one to two weeks for the blue dot to move after the time it should have moved:impatient - best thing to do is call 866-ASK-MINI (275-6464) and speak to "Customer Relations" (as even the automated response at ASK MINI is usually out of date).

Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
katherine
4th Gear
How much is the clear bra, with dealer installation? Just curious. I hadn't ordered one but am now thinking maybe it's a good idea...

PS > Boneman is right on target. OL is the slowest to update; next fastest is 866 ASK-MINI, and the fastest is a live person. I've also learned that once your car finishes production and gets sent to the docks, ASK-MINI is pretty much useless, because they don't have any of the shipping info.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by climbergirl
soo.. eeniemini finishes on the 3rd, powerband, on the 4th, and me on the 5th. Yeah... no traffic jams now!
Wishbone's completion date is the 31st which likely means that she'll be on the boat with your new babies (Maersk Wave on Sep11). Hope she doesn't get sea sick.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
I don't remember the price at the dealer because I didn't even want to consider it at that point in time. However, I've read some threads that sound like it could be as much as $900 installed at a dealer, where a comparible package from an outside vendor (find one that provides machine cut) could save you from $300 to $400!

Boneman, thank you. I'll call "Customer Relations" today!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
Wishbone's completion date is the 31st which likely means that she'll be on the boat with your new babies (Maersk Wave on Sep11). Hope she doesn't get sea sick.
you know, you may make it onto the boat that leaves Sept 4th. That would be awesome for you. If not, then we will all be on the Sept 11th boat.

Kissmys, look up this site www.xpel.com for clear bra installers.

As for the OL updating? Heck mine has said on order for 2 wks now. It was the automated voice at 866 ask MINI that told me I was scheduled to complete production sept 5th. I think I will call them again today.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I'm hoping I can make it across the bay into San Carlos without any dings. Please god, please please please....

Clara should be done on 9/3, according to the automated line. I haven't called and talked to a live person. But my dot moved down yesterday, which is what prompted me to call (I've really been trying to be patient, in hopes that that speeds the process somehow via good karma, lol). Is my dot the only one that's moved so far?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Oh pooh! I just talked to a live customer relations guy (sexy voice) that could only confirm that my order had been received. No actual production date scheduled yet. I ordered the last day in July. Oh, well. What is, is. Meanwhile, I'll check out xpel.com. Hey, MLWagner! Do you think I've screwed up my karma more by talking to a living MINI rep? I guess they are very used to us impatient newbies. When I thanked him for the (non) information, he closed simply with "pleasure."

Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 PM
limster
2nd Gear
MCS in production already!

I just called the people at MINI and was told that my MCS started production on Aug. 24 and is supposed to be finished on Sept. 1. I was initially told that I was going into production week 36.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
When I called...let's see, it would have been a week and a half ago, they had no info at all for me. I wasn't scheduled, and they didn't know when I would be, so I just buckled down and decided I would only call once a week max to make things at least seem like they were going faster. So it went from that to *....zooooooom....* I'm in production and scheduled to be done September 3rd in like a week and a half. So things *can* change really quickly. Some things that make a difference - whether you ordered a MC or a MCS or a MCC/MCSC, etc, and where you ordered from, thus where you fall in the dealer's allotment.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:50 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Oh pooh! I just talked to a live customer relations guy (sexy voice) Hey, MLWagner! Do you think I've screwed up my karma more by talking to a living MINI rep? I guess they are very used to us impatient newbies. When I thanked him for the (non) information, he closed simply with "pleasure."
Did you respond with "the pleasure was all mine"?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:59 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by limster
I just called the people at MINI and was told that my MCS started production on Aug. 24 and is supposed to be finished on Sept. 1. I was initially told that I was going into production week 36.
oooohhh, you may make the sept 4th boat!!! I thought I wasn't supposed to start production until sept 4th. But, when I called yesterday, they told me that I would complete on the 5th. yeah. And Finally, the OL updated from on order to schedule to production. It's way slow! But, I am happy anyway.

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)