1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:06 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eenieMini
Does this apply if you've already purchased the plates or if only if you are ordering at purchase of the MINI?
This is if you've already ordered the plates. I don't know what happens if you are ordering them at delivery. But if you already ordered them online, and paid the personalized plate fee, take the printout with you to delivery and they will attach it to the DMV paperwork so you don't have to get a seperate set of plates, and then take them and turn them in when the personalized ones come in. I didn't know any of this in advance, so I didn't take the printout with me, so I have to wait for the normal plates to show up and then take them to the DMV to get my new personalized ones that I ordered about a month ago.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Bay MINI...meeting

Looks like we might actually meet after all! If I go Monday afternoon I'll be sure to look for Minx!
We'll be picking up Minx on Tuesday morning because my husband is speaking at Oracle World on Monday. It would sure be great to meet you. We could motor off together in to the wild blue yonder! (I only have to be back in Petaluma at 3:00.)

But, if it is ready on Monday, I sure wouldn't expect you to hold out an extra day. However, you can meet Minx I'm sure...

Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
If he's not ready on Monday afternoon I'm sure going to try for the morning on Tuesday and not wait all day! I'm still crossing fingers for Monday.. I'm terrible at waiting!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:39 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Dash board lights

One of the things I did not like when I test drove the MINI was the orange dash board lighting. In fact I hated it. To agressive I thought. Why not blue or green? The 2007 models will let you adjust the color. Now that I have driven Merlin for a few days I must say I have grown fond of the orange lighting and if I had the 2007 feature I would probably make the color orange. It is very visible and has a calming effect.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Dash board lights

Hi JJ — many years ago, in 1977, when I got my first BMW (and first serious speeding ticket:impatient ) I remember that one of my favorite things about it was how calming the deep orange lighting on the dash was at night. I can't wait to have it back again. I believe that BMW conducted a study to find the perfect hue that was easiest on the eyes during long drives at night and red/orange won. It's a winner with me!

Old 10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
I like the orange too.. I got used to it in the Z3 and have come to expect it....when I get in the Blazer I'm like.. HUH??? I have to gage down the dash lights. I even put my XM on the orange/black formation.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, all y'all need to take pictures Tuesday morning -- some sort of group hug or something.

And just be sure to not collide on the way out of the parking lot -- I don't want there to be a specially assigned W3606 claims adjuster!

Old 10-21-2006, 06:41 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Aaaahhhhhh!!!!

It's here! It's here! AAAHHH!!!!! At the dealership today, stripes done on Monday, Wed pick up. AAAHHHHH! I am so excited. Two funny things: My MA agreed with me that they overcharged $150, and said that he himself had never heard of a smog/weight fee, and also agreed it was in error. Um...hello?

Also, I brought up the programming options we've been discussing, lights, locks, etc, including the recent change in key/window rolling ability that ClimberGirl mentioned:

Him: Um, yeah, ok, I can arrange those options for you. But, dang, how do you know all this stuff? Most people don't even ask about it.
Me: Well, I'm obsessed with the NAM message boards, as are many other motorers. That's how we know, for example, that you didn't charge two other recent customers your mark-up.
Him: Well, you guys shouldn't talk about price; you don't know the whole situation!

Ah, ha ha ha. Please. Anyway, excited time!! Woo-hoo!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:18 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Congrats! Looks like I might get a peek at Moe before you ever see Minx. I plan to be on my way home with her mid-day Tuesday. I'll hug Blair and tell him to pass it along to you and Moe! It's all good!...

Old 10-21-2006, 10:33 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Congrats! Looks like I might get a peek at Moe before you ever see Minx. I plan to be on my way home with her mid-day Tuesday. I'll hug Blair and tell him to pass it along to you and Moe! It's all good!...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get MOE on Monday night.... but if not I bet we both go see Blair on Tuesday.. MOE will be pretty nekkid as I have my stripes here at home from aesthetic creations rather than the standard bonnet stripes... If I get him on Tuesday early and I can arrange it I'll be driving straight over to the tinter in San Ramon and getting some shades.... otherwise I'll have to drop him off Weds. This is exciting.

I was just watching old movies and thinking about our situations... I can't believe how you've made it through this weekend knowing you "could" have your MINI... You're a stronger woman than I, I'd have never been able to do that!! Lucky I'm spoiled and get my way here at home.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yonahleyah
It's here! It's here! AAAHHH!!!!! At the dealership today, stripes done on Monday, Wed pick up. AAAHHHHH! I am so excited. Two funny things: My MA agreed with me that they overcharged $150, and said that he himself had never heard of a smog/weight fee, and also agreed it was in error. Um...hello?

Also, I brought up the programming options we've been discussing, lights, locks, etc, including the recent change in key/window rolling ability that ClimberGirl mentioned:

Him: Um, yeah, ok, I can arrange those options for you. But, dang, how do you know all this stuff? Most people don't even ask about it.
Me: Well, I'm obsessed with the NAM message boards, as are many other motorers. That's how we know, for example, that you didn't charge two other recent customers your mark-up.
Him: Well, you guys shouldn't talk about price; you don't know the whole situation!

Ah, ha ha ha. Please. Anyway, excited time!! Woo-hoo!
Umm..... wait, we shouldn't talk about PRICE? Puuhhlleezze. If they were not doing something dishonest, then they wouldn't care if their customers talked about price. I bet he likes his women barefoot and pregnant too! You are doing an awesome job.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Urban Elf
Sweet

Old 10-21-2006, 11:13 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Tuesday...

This is exciting.

I can't believe how you've made it through this weekend knowing you "could" have your MINI... You're a stronger woman than I, I'd have never been able to do that!!
What's even more amazing is that NO ONE knows I am doing this except my hubby. The shock on my kids, mom, neighbors, in-laws and friends' faces is going to be so worth it, but it has added a lot to the anxiety factor. I keep almost slipping out with things like "my new personalized plates are in!" etc. Thank god I've had all you 36ers to talk to!!! I guess I figure my husband will be a lot more forgiving of all the stuff I've been ordering for Minx's care while he is fishing... I think I am getting infected with the CG disease!

Old 10-21-2006, 11:15 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
One more thing. It's OK if Moe is nekked. Minx will always be, unless in her later days she decides to get sporty on me...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:09 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urban Elf
Here's what I don't understand -- if you're hitting the magic 1250, why does it show you stopped and not moving, instead of burying your foot into it? Holy cow -- open it up a little, let the kid out to play!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:05 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Here's what I don't understand -- if you're hitting the magic 1250, why does it show you stopped and not moving, instead of burying your foot into it? Holy cow -- open it up a little, let the kid out to play!
I wonder if he stopped right there dead in his tracks to take the pic... whats behind?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:08 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
What's even more amazing is that NO ONE knows I am doing this except my hubby. The shock on my kids, mom, neighbors, in-laws and friends' faces is going to be so worth it, but it has added a lot to the anxiety factor. I keep almost slipping out with things like "my new personalized plates are in!" etc. Thank god I've had all you 36ers to talk to!!! I guess I figure my husband will be a lot more forgiving of all the stuff I've been ordering for Minx's care while he is fishing... I think I am getting infected with the CG disease!
I love it! I love being an honorary wk36... (really wk37--which is fun too) but I was here with you guys from the get go until they moved me back a week... Again, much stronger than I....I can't keep my mouth shut so bad that EVERYONE is bugging me.. 'when is your car coming'.. I think they don't believe me anymore! My dh is working a bass tournament out of Bethel Island but he was going to cancel (he's helping with the kick off and weigh in) so we could pick up MOE.. now had he actually been slated to fish the tourney I'd have backed off.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
BTW, your thread won't get retired. I found my thread for my week 36 and it's still available.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=week

Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I guess I figure my husband will be a lot more forgiving of all the stuff I've been ordering for Minx's care while he is fishing... I think I am getting infected with the CG disease!
I have been busy working, and my money has been staying in my pocket. Someone has to take over. Seriously that was super funny. My BF's husband tells her that she is "doing a stephanie" when she is shopping in a particular way (my way). Apparently, I am contagioius. I think I am changing out the shocks for certain. I do about 300 miles of rough highway driving a week, and it beat the heck out of me.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:45 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Won't get retired

Originally Posted by Gr8Force
BTW, your thread won't get retired. I found my thread for my week 36 and it's still available.
I've been touching base with a fellow RG/S guy. He is a week 16. Somehow I don't think anything gets retired unless there isn't any action for a long period. And I can't imagine us 36ers loosing the addiction to this thread!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Nice to see you again

Originally Posted by climbergirl
I have been busy working, and my money has been staying in my pocket.
I figured you were "on the road". It's nice to hear from you again. When we finally get together for our 36er party, we'll have to schedule a shopping day. Of course we'll each have to drive our own MINIs, because of the small boot space.

The Koni's are the best. I had them on my Datsun 510. Go for it CG! Life is too short to be anything but comfortable...

Now that I've invested over $300 in car care supplies, I'm starting to bug my husband about putting in a Griot's style floor in the garage. I mean, really! It's a necessity, don't you think? A jewel needs a jewel box.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:01 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Bugging...

I can't keep my mouth shut so bad that EVERYONE is bugging me.. 'when is your car coming'.. I think they don't believe me anymore!
That was one of my husband's points when he suggested I keep the whole MINI experience a secret. He said I'd be bugged by everybody FOREVER (well nearly 3 months!) and that I'd get sick to death of it. He's right about some things. Instead of being sick of explaining "no, not yet — yes, I'm excited, blah, blah, blah",:impatient I'm bursting with a surprise that keeps me in check all the time, so I need to have extra wine to stay calm. Let's see, sick to death or extra wine... not a hard choice.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 AM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
[quote=climbergirl;1189181] I have been busy working, and my money has been staying in my pocket. Someone has to take over. quote]

Was wondering where you had gone. I thought maybe you were camping out at one of the auto cross terrains waiting for a gathering. Everyone has such good stories; it's like instead of enjoying your own high, you get the vicarious excitement of everyone else, too. Kissmys, maybe you should stock up on the bubbly in addition to the wine - won't your husband want to celebrate? If he doesn't go in his pants on the spot, hehe. Eenie, be sure to show us your stripes. My dealer actually ordered from aesthetic creations, because their contractor doesn't have pin stripes. I only knew to recomend them because of NAM. Happy days soon...

As far as shopping - have we pushed all the guys out of here? Poor fellows, the girls are just so excited.

Where's Homer? Motoring? Shouldn't he have his car now?

Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
I think you and I are about the only ones not out driving our MINIs today. That's where the guys are! OK, we won't talk about shopping any more, but I'll bet the guys are just as guilty or maybe more so when it comes to lavishing $$$ on MINI mods!

Lately I've been saying things to myself like "This is the last Saturday I'll be driving to the ranch in this Avalon. This is the last time I take Brooke to piano lessons in the Avalon..." Am I excited?!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
snip......so I need to have extra wine to stay calm. Let's see, sick to death or extra wine... not a hard choice.
Now why didn't I think of that!

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)