1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
I may try the contact that was listed earlier in this forum (Marlene), but wanted to know if anyone knew if I would even be eligible. I did see the previous questions about this, including this answer:

thanks for any thoughts about this!
Hey Mini dreams. I don't think that Alliant is based in cali, I think it is based in Chicago. You can join the PTA even if you don't have children. It's only like 7bucks here in LA. I would definitely spend 7 to save several hundred.

Kissmys, Your ride is very elegent! Nice photo's of you and your husband. I am soo happy to hear about your shoulder. Keep doing the exercises.

Yonah, nice to hear that your deal turned out better than expected. I like the stripes on your car, they go quite nicely.

Handn, my friend.... I've been too busy working since Sunday, but I am planning on making that mod happen as soon as possible. Where did you buy yours? Did you have Steve's install them? If not, the who did the install. I need to get on that! Oh, and Dan was very happy to meet you and your family. We were thinking that sometime soon we should get together for dinner.

Powerband, when do we get to ride in the Elise??

JJ, tint looks nice on your car. I am going to call him Merlin the pimp daddy!

Boneman, get some official pics of polly posted!! She is beautiful and you should show everyone!!

Tomorrow is a day off.... cleaning lady coming at 9, facial and massage (an hour and a half) in the early afternoon.... driving the MINI... I will be living the life of luxary tomorrow!!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Screwless classic badge mounting

The thing I like about this method is that it does not interfere with the air flow to the radiator.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:28 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
THANK you!

Ooooo JJ — you draw nice diagrams! Illustrator AND a great photographer? Thank you so much. Minx will copy Merlin's badge mounting device.

By the way, I have the detailer's disease. Everytime I bring Minx into the garage I do a full inspection, bug removal, California Duster, window cleaner, polish the chrome up (those handles really show kid's fingerprints, oh no!). The greatest part is I ENJOY it! I think I'll go into a deep depression when she get her first owie.

9:00 this morning we go to California Detailers for the tint job. This weekend we'll take her for a wine tasting spin through Dry Creek in Sonoma Co. The fall colors this year are extra spectacular! Will get pictures...

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
ClimberGirl — Enjoy your day of luxury! I am sure you earned it! And one needs to keep one's health in good shape for future shopping... speaking of health, how is your arm? In climbing shape yet?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Kissmys posted
Ooooo JJ — you draw nice diagrams! Illustrator AND a great photographer?

I use Photoshop for everything, I even repair plumbing around the house with Photoshop.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
ClimberGirl — Enjoy your day of luxury! I am sure you earned it! And one needs to keep one's health in good shape for future shopping... speaking of health, how is your arm? In climbing shape yet?
I am doing strengthening exercises right now. So, hopefully soon. I am taking my time because I don't want to have a set back. I am trying to get the motivation to get back into the gym on a full time basis just for my own basic health. My fathers side of the family has a significant heart disease history (like dropping dead at the age of 50 from massive MI's) and my father is going in for another bypass, but this one is in his leg. I know that women are protected until after menopause, but I have always had a cholesterol level over 200. Even at the young age of 18. HDL was always high (which is good) and LDL was low (which is good), but now my LDL is climbing. Sooo... mentally I am trying to get myself centered and redirected. A good way to start is the facials and massage. As soon as my sport link is installed, I am going to start biking at the beach. And....that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Eeniemini, I didn't post my comments about your car. I love the white rims! Dresses him up quite nicely... almost like cufflinks or is moe is a girl, then it would be like she is wearing gloves!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
So CG, what did your arm in? Climbing or shopping? Now you can blame it on spirited gear shifting. Have you installed any more mods yet?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
So CG, what did your arm in? Climbing or shopping? Now you can blame it on spirited gear shifting. Have you installed any more mods yet?
I wish it was climbing or shopping. I was transferring a quadraplegic patient from wheelchair to bed. 2 person assist, and the other girl made a primary move that made me move out of a safe transfer position. Stretched my tendon and they think I might have had some minor muscle tears. It sucked. I haven't climbed since early june. Funny, my SO and I were talking installation of mods tonight. See, we haven't had but 1 day off together since we brought her home. And on that day we went to the autocross. Maybe next a week from now (we are both off) we will install the lights. I am going to have Steve's auto clinic install my sport link and Koni fsd's. Of course, I have to buy them still. But they are a must. I am on the highway too much and that suspension on rough road is just too jarring. Still waiting for my antenna for the siruis. Handn installed my parcel tray and my aux input. Yeah! He did it in like 5 minutes. We also installed the mats, rubber boot liner, boot protector and my eye *****! ooh, and we tinted the windows. Thats about it so far. I guess I am better at shopping than installing.:impatient

Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
We've got permanent shades!

CG — I want to see pictures of the eye *****! I don't blame you for wanting to take the healing process slow. I know how easy it is to really mess up your progress. One day at a time...

Minx got her tint job today... I LOVE IT! 35% on all side windows and back, 50% front and limo on sunroof. I discovered that I could comfortably drive on a bright sunny late afternoon without my sunglasses! I have blue/green eyes and have always been sensitive to the sun. It was so relaxing. What a joy!

Tomorrow I take Minx back to EBMINI for them to redo the clear bra job that they slopped on, and have the iPod adaptor installed. My oldest daughter is following me, in my soon to be sold Avalon, because I can't get Minx to the dealer before 1:00 and it will take all afternoon (???) for the redo of the clear bra — then they do the other install the next morning. They offered to have someone come here, take Minx and leave me a loaner, but the idea of a "stranger!" driving Minx for 90 minutes to the east bay and again back on Saturday was more than I could handle.:impatient

SO, Michael will bring me back there on Saturday and buy the fishing boat (14') that he checked out on Tuesday and tow it home. I mean after all, I got an MCS... so of course a boat is in order, don't ya think?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
You are a good partner and wife. My SO did the same thing... I got a new car... he bought a new stereo.

Now we get to see pictures of Minx with her shades!! I will get photo's of my eyes as soon as we can get another day off together. Sassy needs a serious bath. It's not even been a week. I think I need to quite my job so I can keep my car clean!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Cleaning supplies

As soon as the clear bra is reinstalled and strangers are done "handling" Minx, I will completely strip her of the factory wax and set her properly up for the real deal. I've got so many car care and detailing products to use now that I have to clean out a corner of the garage to organize and figure out what I have!

By the way, you know that expensive "professional" Griot's car wash bucket ($80 or something?) I did some research and found a rip off of the same bucket (wheels optional, lid included — which you pay much extra for at Griot's) for a mere $12.95. It seems pretty sturdy. It's only a matter of time for products like that to find there way to a "Made in China" competitor... I just couldn't justify that much money for a bucket!:impatient

Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Lowe's = Rubbermaid twin well bucket, no wheels but under $10 and Rubbermaid quality. Griot's is only good for their chemicals

Old 10-27-2006, 07:14 AM
handn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
Handn, my friend.... I've been too busy working since Sunday, but I am planning on making that mod happen as soon as possible. Where did you buy yours? Did you have Steve's install them? If not, the who did the install. I need to get on that! Oh, and Dan was very happy to meet you and your family. We were thinking that sometime soon we should get together for dinner.

FSDs- I bought mine from someone on NAM. I had them installed at Steve's. Not sure about the best place online to buy is... I know tirerack.com carries them. When I talked to Scott at Central Coast Coopers, he mentioned that they keep them in stock, so there's a (relatively) local option.

Heather and I had been thinking the same lines as you and Dan.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Hey Mini dreams. I don't think that Alliant is based in cali, I think it is based in Chicago. You can join the PTA even if you don't have children. It's only like 7bucks here in LA. I would definitely spend 7 to save several hundred.
thanks CG... i got some information from Jessie, too. unfortunately (or rather fortunately!) my car arrived early... yesterday, and after talking with Alliant, it sounded like it was going to take several days to set up. I should have followed up on this earlier since my credit is very good, but the rate I have isn't terrible (5.99), just not 4.75%.

I'm going to pick up Grover today!! Happy Motoring everyone!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
handn
3rd Gear
Tomorrow I take Minx back to EBMINI for them to redo the clear bra job that they slopped on
What is the deal with shoddy clear bra installs! Not pleased with mine, either. Not sure how I'm going to proceed at this point. I'll detail this weekend, since it'll be past the 2 week cure time, and see. Uneven placement, edges starting to come up, gap at the stripe edge not going away like they promised.

All that AND I'll likely need to get a new stripe when it gets removed.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:54 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Mine is going back to Tinters.. and back to East Bay to do the Keyfob program since its all on defaults, not my specs. Maybe I'll bump into KissMYS afterall!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
kissmys
3rd Gear
The only thing I had added to the key fob specs is the opening windows and sunroof from a distance to cool it down while loading stuff in the trunk. I'm not aware of any others... any suggestions?

When will you be at EBM? I will arrive there at 1:00 today and will go back tomorrow to pick her up probably around the same time...

Old 10-27-2006, 11:01 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
kissmys, where did you find your bucket?

Handn, I bought mine online for 620, no tax, no shipping. Steve quoted me about 250 for install. Does that sound right? I am hoping that by next week I will have a day to get those installs complete. As for dinner, I am thinking a weekend would be good. It just has to be a weekend that I am off. Baby friendly place for emma, unless you are looking for a night out. Let me know. We'll set something up.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
homerwest
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
thanks CG... i got some information from Jessie, too. unfortunately (or rather fortunately!) my car arrived early... yesterday, and after talking with Alliant, it sounded like it was going to take several days to set up. I should have followed up on this earlier since my credit is very good, but the rate I have isn't terrible (5.99), just not 4.75%.

I'm going to pick up Grover today!! Happy Motoring everyone!
Hey Mini_dreams - I thought it was too late for Basil, but Alliant moves quick - I sent in application on Friday, had check in hand on Wednesday! Irvine Mini was willing to wait until 5 days after picking up Basil to get the check, which worked perfectly! Love saving money on interest!

Gotta go get the ipod adapter installed!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been sooooo busy with work and other personal catastrophes I haven't had the time to keep up with everybody , so I just want to start out by sending a big nice car congratulations to all of you - they just all look so nice .

Handn and CG - so nice to meet you both at the autocross on Sunday and I look forward to hooking up with you both again sometime soon.

I've just about finished with the visible upgrades to Polly now - the last step was her Polly cooper-flag. If I can pry her from my wife's hands - apparently Polly is morphing from "my car" straight past "our car" to "her car" which I may be allowed to uses from time to time :impatient :impatient - I will take some photo's and post them.

In the meantime - SO is taking Polly to the beach today with the dogs and I have to say I am anxious at best because our Jack "Stupid" Russell - Snert - is bound to jump into the front and get his hair over everything. Anyway, is anybody aware (CG?) of a doggy barrier/fence that will fit in the MINI? Ideas would be very welcome.

Happy motoring everybody and well done.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
The only thing I had added to the key fob specs is the opening windows and sunroof from a distance to cool it down while loading stuff in the trunk. I'm not aware of any others... any suggestions?

When will you be at EBM? I will arrive there at 1:00 today and will go back tomorrow to pick her up probably around the same time...
I just missed you. I actually got the tint fixed reasonably quickly (the sun roof was messed up) and was at the dealers by 11 left just after 12. Dang!

As per the keys, yes that is what they forgot on mine, no convenience opening and I wanted the daytime running lights off and the dingdongbell for the fuel light on... we're good to go now! I'm taking a break to eat and then I'm stepping outside to spend some quality time with my Mo-Mo... he needs his XM installed! Should be a fairly simple install compared to my Z3.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
One thing you'll notice is that the range ain't so great with the remote. Hint: Hold the actual key part to the under side of your chin. You'll be amazed at the new found range.

Originally Posted by Boneman
Anyway, is anybody aware (CG?) of a doggy barrier/fence that will fit in the MINI? Ideas would be very welcome.
Just a thought, put him in the boot with back seats up & shelf down? Jack Russell eh? Good luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Moe has tunes! I just installed the XM Direct unit into the wiring harness in the back (for CD changer) and it went perfectly smooth. Start to finish 10mins... it was super easy to string the antenna through the little rubber plug and into the headliner down the back pillar and into the cavity where the unit is. Worked like a charm, seamless! Now I needs to be able to open the sunroof and windows (tinters said WAIT) and blast me some music while I enjoy my ride!

Tomorrow is stripes, boot/step protector, and AUX input (need a drill for the mount so couldn't do it here) and photo shoot!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:14 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Bucket...

kissmys, where did you find your bucket?
Go to: euroworeilly.com
Item: Professional Wash Bucket [A-WCB-05] $11.99
Heavy duty molded plastic wash bucket holds a generous 6 gallons of soapy water. Bottom grill keeps your wash mitt and brushes from collecting dirt and grime from the bottom of the bucket and then scratching your vehicles surface. Snap tight lid to store wash supplies and the form-fitting handle make this the Pro bucket that it is.

Left Minx at dealer this afternoon for the clear bra fix. They might have to keep her over the weekend due to scheduling problems. I wanted to take advantage of this lovely Indian summer weather and motor on Sunday through the vineyards in the full beautiful fall colors (good photo ops). Fingers crossed... They told me that they have so many installer problems that they are no longer going to offer it to customers. Hmmm... that instills a lot of confidence! :impatient :impatient :impatient I told them if it wasn't perfect when I return to pick her up, I want a full refund so I can get it done elsewhere. What a hassle! BUT, I did get a free magnetic badge holder and key chain fobs today. I miss her already!

Originally Posted by Boneman
Anyway, is anybody aware (CG?) of a doggy barrier/fence that will fit in the MINI? Ideas would be very welcome.
I haven't tried it out yet, but I ordered a "sling" for my Aussies from Hunter K-9 Designs — http://www.hunterk9.com/
Item Number DLX2500 — Deluxe Pet Travel Hammock seat cover - POLAR FLEECE FABRIC on 1 side & durable, waterproof, machine washable fabric on the other, the Pet Travel Hammock is an ideal way to quickly & easily protect the back seat of your car, SUV, minivan, or truck.
It might be too big; I'll let you know. I have VERY HAIRY dogs!

Gr8Force — thanks for the key fob advice. Maybe tomorrow I can try it!

TGIF!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It's Go Time!

Kids, don't try this at home...

I'm downright giddy. OMG this thing is a different animal above 5K...

BTW - where I was, this was within the realm of legality... nice and legal and safe and legit... and my GPS says my speedo reads about 4% fast...

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)