1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:25 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't rip apart the dash to do the Aux, its one part that you need to take out.. just hte knee bolster, and since you're going to put the parcel shelf in, just do two at once by replacing the bolster withe parcel...
check out the radio/electronic forum for the howto... its like 5mins if that!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, yeah -- the Aux jack was a snap. I'd started in on the console, looking for how to get under the cigarrette lighter to tap into the juice there, and next thing, I'm doing the aux jack and iPod adapter. I think I'm set -- those plans I found late last night seem logical, so I'll tackle them after breakfast this AM.

hardest part was shelling out the 10 Euros for the new tools that included all the various torx drivers!

[UPDATE: Yeah, iPod adapter is in. This directions are on the spot, with the change on wire #16 no longer being changed out (which is mentioned in the post to which I linked). Seriously, I was in and out of the dash in an hour.]

Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Gotta love it, so far everything (all little stuff but still....) I have done with the MINI has been simple simon!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Bummer!

Originally Posted by climbergirl
However, on wed I consumed about 80% of a bottle of wine after I realized that some one HIT the back of my car while I was parked on the street at a meter. Someone hit my frickin car!
What a bummer! And to think I've been stressing about a miniscule scratch I discovered on my driver's door lower panel. I remember the first time I had real "damage" to my Avalon. It was only a couple of months old and while I was in a Thai restaurant, someone totally plowed high into my car's back right panel/bumper in the parking lot. And like yours, no note, only a turquoise paint calling card. I literally crumpled and wept in a state of shock. What a horrible night that was. It was a $4000 repair (insurance helped). I kept telling myself "it's only a car", but STILL!!!! And from that moment on, everytime I saw an old turquoise pickup truck parked (or even sometimes moving), I'd scrutinize it for silver paint from my car. People can be so heartless (drunk?) sometimes!

Your sweet sassy car will be like new and it will be just a bad dream in no time. And whoever did it will have a real karma comeuppance!!!

I had a breakthrough at physical therapy today. Actually popped/released something in my shoulder's frozen joint that felt good. Three more weeks to judgement day. Hang in there ClimberGirl. We shall overcome!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:28 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Merlin went on his first after breakin road trip. From Denver to Santa Fe NM. I had a chance to take him up over 100MPH and man did we get there quick. This car in it's stock configuration is possibly more than I will ever need or use. I am rethinking the CAI and pulley. All I can say about the corering ability of the car is . If I were going to track Merlin (after a SCCA driving course) maybe it would make sense. Heck I'm almost 60 years old, I'm well past having to comensate with my daily driver.
Speaking of rude drivers. I was at the local box store last Sunday and as I was returning to my car a big red Ford pickup pulled into the space next to Merlin. The driver pulled in at an angle that took up not only all of his space but a good portion of mine. I ran up to my car and opened the door to let the driver know I was there. He had maybe 12 inches between his truck and Merlin. It was fun to watch the slob try to squeeze out of that truck. If I had not been there he would have just rammed his door into the side of my car. I know this because it was a fairly new truck with lots of other cars paint on his fenders, door edges and rear bumper.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh, people like that infuriate me. I don't understand how they can care so little about not only their own car, but others, that they just whale into other cars with their door edges.

I've been very lucky so far, no door dings yet and I park daily in a crowded university garage. I just try to park in a loose space or with my passenger side against a wall, or in between two nice cars.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
FSD's

I installed Koni FSD's with H&R springs on Polly over the weekend. The springs lower her about one-half inch which looks very sharp, but even though I have read so much about FSD's I am absolutely amazed by the improvement in ride quality on the freeway. Expansion joints just seem to have gone away.

Talking of inconsiderate people - I haven't driven low small car in a long time and am astounded at the SUV and truck crowd that try to intimidate you by tailgating - I just never noticed it before.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
I ran into the tailgating issue on my last trip. For the most part I would just scat away from the SUVs or lose them in the twisties. There was an Audi that I couldn't scat away from, I could put some space between us in the corners but then he would speed up and get right on my tail and he wouldn't pass me so I just slowed down to about 20 MPH below the speed limit. After awhile he tired of the game and passed me. By and large most people on the road are pretty decent but it's those few that endanger everybody.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
I installed Koni FSD's with H&R springs on Polly over the weekend. The springs lower her about one-half inch which looks very sharp, but even though I have read so much about FSD's I am absolutely amazed by the improvement in ride quality on the freeway. Expansion joints just seem to have gone away.
so the Koni's really help with the ride of the runflats? I'm generally fine with my runflats until i'm on a rutty road or an interstate with joints ever 2 seconds.

Talking of inconsiderate people - I haven't driven low small car in a long time and am astounded at the SUV and truck crowd that try to intimidate you by tailgating - I just never noticed it before.
i just don't get this... do people not know how dangerous this is? i'm in Memphis now (was previously in Berkeley) and the tailgating here seems ridiculously bad... and there are a majority of SUVs. If I can't move over to get out of their way, I usually just slow down, as JJBlue mentioned, until they have no other option but to pass... and watching them in the rearview, you can tell they are about to explode from rage! I realize this isn't a great solution as it is dangerous to go too slow, but I don't want these people behind me!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:52 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Boneman, do you have some before / after shots?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:08 PM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Colorado Winter

We just got hit with a real Colorado Winter storm. 7" of snow, 15° F. The streets are a mess. Had to do some running about town so I took the Samurai. Then I took Merlin out to see what he could do. All I can say is, WOW ! It was fun watching all those Camry's and Honda's slippin and a slidin. The anti-lock brakes kept Merlin right on and the DSC was a plus for traction in my estimation. The traction was not quit as good as the Samurai (in 4WHD) which is to be expected but the handling and braking were far superior in the MINI. Of course the SUV's are having a heyday but they push the envelope to far sometimes and wind wheels up in a ditch if they don't know what they are doing.
Warm. Oh so toasty and warm within minutes. Clear rear view mirrors and glass before I pulled away from the curb. The heated seats were just what the doctor ordered after shoveling those walks. Yeah I needed the cold weather package.
I don't know how the MINI would perform in Michigan or Canada but it's a sweet Colorado Winter Ride.
Now where did I put them snowshoes?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
We just got hit with a real Colorado Winter storm. 7" of snow, 15° F.
How bout some pics of this alleged snowstorm? (just kidding... i heard the same from Heather at Detailer's Paradise). I just like to see pictures of MINIs in snow. Actually, I just like to see pictures of MINIs in general.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Is the radio / head unit in the Mini really so lame that it can't remember that I had it set on "random" mode before I turned the radio (not the car) off?

I've been cutting it a lot of slack for missing some simple features on the official BMW iPod adapter, but come on -- forgetting random, even for the CD? The iPod didn't go anywhere while the power was off -- ditto for the CD. But no -- the radio forgets, every damn time.

I don't like saying this, but the Mini stereo is disappointing.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by abuzavi
Is the radio / head unit in the Mini really so lame that it can't remember that I had it set on "random" mode before I turned the radio (not the car) off?

I've been cutting it a lot of slack for missing some simple features on the official BMW iPod adapter, but come on -- forgetting random, even for the CD? The iPod didn't go anywhere while the power was off -- ditto for the CD. But no -- the radio forgets, every damn time.

I don't like saying this, but the Mini stereo is disappointing.
It gets even better - if you have the "MINI1" through "MINI5" playlists set up on your iPod, even switching between them will turn off the "RANDOM" mode.

I generally like the MINI/Harmon Kardon setup, but its eagerness to drop out of RANDOM mode has to be the biggest single annoyance.

Scott

Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
kaszeta
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
It gets even better - if you have the "MINI1" through "MINI5" playlists set up on your iPod, even switching between them will turn off the "RANDOM" mode.
I just noticed this with my iPod the other day, after asking myself how my iPod was always getting Random disable and Repeat enabled.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Kaszeta, it's not some iPods, it's all iPods, and it's not some CD's, it's all CD's.

Soooooo annoying.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Plated and Blinged!

Sorry about everyone's randomization woes...

And now, about ME!!!

Finally got Lil' Blue's plate, plus some new Union Jack bling from Mike at Aesthetic Creations...

Attached Thumbnails R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)-headrests_open.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 09:09 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
Love that plate.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM
eenieMini
5th Gear
My plates are "ready and waiting" at the dmv but I can't get/exchange them until my generic plates arrive...

MLW and KMS did you guys get your registration/plates yet? I am wondering whats taking so long... when I bought my Z3 the reg never came, turned out the dealer put in the wrong zip code... wondering if a similar "mistake" happened.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:37 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, my generic plates came last Saturday and I went and traded them in for the new ones on Monday.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
Personalized plates

Originally Posted by eenieMini
My plates are "ready and waiting" at the dmv but I can't get/exchange them until my generic plates arrive...

MLW and KMS did you guys get your registration/plates yet?
Hi Eenie! My registration and generic plates didn't arrive until a few days ago. I had just complained to EBM about how long it was taking and lo and behold it showed up in the mail the next day. I'd call them if you don't have yours by mid-week.

I'm watching the 49ers struggle against the Saints. So depressing... here's a link to my plate pic.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&d=1164680497

Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
I've figured out, I think, how best to use the official BMW iPod adapter, and I blogged that here.

Sadly, I have to say, I now think that it's a pretty lame product. Better than using the AUX jack only, I think, but poorly designed and poorly programed. If you're thinking of getting one, well, go read about the DICE one first. It at least sounds better.

Maybe Santa will bring one of those this year.

And before you ask, yes, there are soldiers / trigger pullers who are into boolean logic. And yes, I happen to be one of them. Small club, but we have a really cool secret handshake.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
eenieMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kissmys
Hi Eenie! My registration and generic plates didn't arrive until a few days ago. I had just complained to EBM about how long it was taking and lo and behold it showed up in the mail the next day. I'd call them if you don't have yours by mid-week.

I'm watching the 49ers struggle against the Saints. So depressing... here's a link to my plate pic.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&d=1164680497

Thanks gals! I should have them any day then... since we took our cars home the same day... its killing me that my fun ones are sitting at dmv waiting.. I wish CA allowed us to order w/o having to do the generics first...

Old 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
JJ Blue
4th Gear
abuzavi posted
Small club, but we have a really cool secret handshake.
I belong to a small club with a really cool secret handshake too. We even have secret passwords and stuff. And no it's not the CIA.
We MINI owners should have a secret handshake to go with the public hand wave. Now that would be really cool. How about gripping by the four fingers with the thumbs extended upwards touching each other, covered by the left hand.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ Blue
I belong to a small club with a really cool secret handshake too. We even have secret passwords and stuff. And no it's not the CIA.
We MINI owners should have a secret handshake to go with the public hand wave. Now that would be really cool. How about gripping by the four fingers with the thumbs extended upwards touching each other, covered by the left hand.
OK. Now you're scaring me.....

Shall we have pledge paddles, too? Thank you sir, may I have another?....

Quick Reply: R53 Production Week 36 (9/4/06)