1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Sundown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leslie923
Okay! Pics can be seen in my gallery. I didn't take too many pics (I have to head out in a few mins) but I wanted to give you guys and gals an idea of what it looks like.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results.. so go ahead and check em out!
Thanks for the pictures, I am now convinced ... I am going to spend the money on a trick exaust system to go with the pulley and K&N intake.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
leslie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
I got your PM this morning as I was running out the door. Did the hottie install? My SO would have killed me if I went.
Some other guys in the shop did the install. I basically dropped off my keys and attempted to find something to do for 2.5 hours. There wasn't much to do in that area, so I had lunch and went back and sat there for a really long time. The only two "shops" of interest in that area were a tattoo parlor and what appeared to be an adult toy store. Neither of which I went into by the way..

If you do go to Sticker City, I highly recommend begging someone to accompany you so that you aren't sitting around and waiting for 2.5 hrs. Most of my friends went out of town so I was stuck there.

I got the Venture Shield product and they basically did hood/fender/bumper and lights (all three sets - I have fogs as well) for $640. It was $540 for the front and $100 for the lights. The kit for the front is supposed to include the mirrors, but I opted not to have them done.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:47 PM
leslie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I agree...I can't see anything, so I guess that's good.

As a side note, I really wish "they" had come up with another term for these things. Slightly awkward, imo.
My uhh "friend" said that I emasculated my MINI and suggested that I get a matching bra so that we could be twins. *rolls eyes*

Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Lyrebard
2nd Gear
But what about New York?

Okay, so most of you seem to be in SoCal...I'm no longer a Californian and my MINI will be arriving in New York any day now. Anyone know good 3M installers in NYC or the surrounding area? I think I'd really like to do it, but my dealer is quoting me $700 (and I'm not even convinced that this includes the bonnet!).

Old 09-16-2006, 09:07 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had a 3M Clear Bra installed in Virginia Beach for $445. (Although, it was $495 before a 10% military discount).

The price was for front bumper, bonnet (up to about 1" above the bonnet scoop), mirror backs, the scoop, and the grille slats. Since my wife's car has the chrome scoop, mirror backs, and grille, I had them leave those areas uncovered, and instead had them cover the Xenon headlamps.

The only edge on the film that's visible at all is the one across the bonnet, and only under certain light/angles. (for reference, her car is Pepper White).

The film is almost as shiny as the factory paint, and can be washed/waxed/clay-bar'd just like paint.

Considering that her car had six or seven good-sized chips just since we bought the car in May, we should have done the clear bra much sooner. When my MINI arrives next month, its first stop will be at the film shop to have the bra installed.

Scott

Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody got a clear bra on BRG? How about a pic or two? I am getting a lot of dings; this car is a rock magnet, but I am worried about the appearance of the bra, don't think I want a black one, and not anxious to drop +/- $500. Come to think of it, anybody got a black bra on a BRG with black stripes?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:15 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
For those of us who are picking up our MINIs without a dealer-installed clear bra and will have to drive it for a period before getting an aftermarket one installed (and are somewhat paranoid that a chip may occur in between): The rule of thumb for avoiding rock chips on the road is keeping a distance of 165 feet from the car in front while traveling at 60 miles per hour. This is called the "chip-free zone," where sand, pepples, rocks or road debris that get kicked up should bounce and settle before you get to them. (I obtained this information in an MX-5 owner's manual.)

Just something for those of us who are **** about the appearance of our cars. (After a thorough wash and wax, I will swerve 3 lanes over to dodge a fly on the 101. )

(Just kidding about swerving 3 lanes over. Just two lanes.)

-

Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
leslie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davavd
Anybody got a clear bra on BRG? How about a pic or two? I am getting a lot of dings; this car is a rock magnet, but I am worried about the appearance of the bra, don't think I want a black one, and not anxious to drop +/- $500. Come to think of it, anybody got a black bra on a BRG with black stripes?
I have a BRG w/ a clear bra.. click on my gallery to see the pics. I have hi-res pics if you wanna see what it looks like up close, just PM me.