1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone else has gotten a quote for the 3M clear bra? The quote is 900 bucks! OUCH! Anyone else have any info? This is a Socal quote. I know it's difficult to install, but heck, I am a nurse and I don't make that kind of money per hr!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I got just the hood/mirrors/scoop done for $250. It would have been another $200 to do the bumper....$900 seems way too much.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM
SpringMinifan
2nd Gear
I got #'s from my MA as follows $695 for hood, mirrors, and door edges, and it is $895 including the bumper. This is thru Mini and I've not had a chance to call the vendor that actually does the work, so determine how much the dealer is making on the work..

Old 08-23-2006, 04:15 PM
SpringMinifan
2nd Gear
Here's a link that you maybe able to find another dealer in your area. If you go to www.xpel.com and at the bottom right just type in your zip code. Autopaintguard.com is the link that I used and they sent me the above link to find a location near me.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Wow, $900 I guess I should be thankful that my dealer screwed up my order. To make up for it, I asked if I could get a discount on the clear bra. They agreed and I got a substantial disount. I had it done while my car was being prepped at the dealership.

My dealer said their techs stopped installing them b/c it's too much of a PITA so they got a third party installer. I was told the guy usually does Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches and such. Even though I asked only for the bonnet/scoop and the bumper, I was pleasantly surprised to see the headlights, turn signals and mirrors were done also. Later I got a set of yellow ones for the fog lights.

Finally, yes shop around but try to get it done ASAP b/c if you get a stone chip, it needs to be repaired before the clear bra is applied.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
LOL @ 900$!

I got my MCS done with real 3M tape, not a cheap brand for 250$. (full bumper, 12" on bonnet, 6" on roof)

I got it done by a real professional. He teaches for 3M when a new shop wants to be a 3M installer.

btw, clear bra is a must!! It protects really well!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
man, I am moving to miami!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
seriously tho, I think the dealer quoted 700 but, the products not so good from what I heard. 900 is from a retail installer. I was thinking more like 500, but no mas! And let me just say, 500 is a bunch! I wont get my car until around the 1st wk of Nov, so I have time. you know, I am just trying to get my priorities straight.. .ducks in a row..making my list. I really need to start doing my homework.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Yeah, that's about the going price for ClearBra, but it's worth every penny. I had my bonnet, bumpers and mirrors done on my Cooper and all but the mirrors done on my MCS. I have had nothing but problems with puckering on the Cooper's mirrors...had it reapplied twice, and they are still puckering. Save yourself some money and don't get the mirrors done.

You might get a quote from Ziebart...they put something called Invisigard on and it may be cheaper.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the bonnet kit and front bumper kit from Auto Paint Guard (site sponser) - came out to $230 and change with shipping. That means your stealer is trying to soak you for $700 plus in labor (given they pay cost). I'm gonna install it myself - doesn't look too hard if I take my time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Mine was $455 and I had the front bumper, almost half of the bonnet, the mirrors, all the lights, door edges, door cups, and on top of the rear bumper where alot of people have put those black rubber protectors on. I thought it was worth it for the protection I am going to be getting

Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
He definitely said that the kit was expensive but that it was very time consuming and labor intensive. He had just placed one on an aston martin, and he charged them 1200. But, hey, I am buying a MCS, not an aston martin, do I look like I am made of platinum?

Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
We need a clear bra installation party... that's what we need!! But, wait not until Nov. I need my car first!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess it's somewhat regional, here in H-town, ClearBra installers are all over the place. My MINI dealer wanted $595 for the standard front and mirror coverage, I got the guy who does their's to do it in his shop for $350. I watched, and would guess the compound curves on the hood of the MINI are tough to install, but no way it's $900 worth.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
golfersmurf
3rd Gear
Wow those are exactly the prices I found! Where is H-Town?!

My Mini dealer quoted $595 for the install, and my nearest 3M certified shop (1.5 hours away ) quoted me $350 installed for hood, bumper, grill, and mirrors.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by golfersmurf
Where is H-Town?!
Sorry...Houston, Texas.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Boneman
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by climbergirl
We need a clear bra installation party... that's what we need!! But, wait not until Nov. I need my car first!
Climbergirl - just following up on my earlier post. I checked out the local installer recommended by Auto Paint Guard through XPEL. Their name is Bumper 2 Bumper in Westlake Village and they will charge $238 to install bonnet, fender, mirrors, and bumper plus $50 for headlights and foglights. With the 3M material from Auto Paint Guard that comes out to $468 installed in SoCal (or $518 with the lights).

Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
miniprof
4th Gear
Hi all. I had bumper, bonnet, lights, and mirrors as well as window tint all done for $700. The clear bra is great. I'm really glad I did it.

L

Old 08-24-2006, 05:34 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Check out vendor announcements on the home page.Go to the bottom and there is a 3M protection ad.Q

Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Boneman
Climbergirl - just following up on my earlier post. I checked out the local installer recommended by Auto Paint Guard through XPEL. Their name is Bumper 2 Bumper in Westlake Village and they will charge $238 to install bonnet, fender, mirrors, and bumper plus $50 for headlights and foglights. With the 3M material from Auto Paint Guard that comes out to $468 installed in SoCal (or $518 with the lights).
Where is westlake village? It must be east of the 405! You know us westsiders.... I like 518 much better!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Hey Boneman, I just spoke to SB, and my MA told me that they install an aftermarket clear bra (not mini's) for $495. He is going to call me in the morning to tell me the name of the company that they use. I know that there are different versions of this stuff, and some of the material requires more upkeep(older versions) than others. I had heard that some of the material becames dull very quickly. I don't want that!! Do you know anything about that?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 PM
rktsci
1st Gear
I just paid $637, including tax, for bumper, hood, mirrors, lights, foglights, door cups, and rear bumper sill. This was with the company that does them for the dealer, but I went direct. Dealer quoted $over 800 for the same items. Took about 90 minutes.

BTW - it looks great (i.e. can hardly see it) on dark colors. I hear it's more visible on the lighter colors.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
No offense to anyone but I have never understood this clearbra thing. Sry but it reminds me of my grandma having plastic on her sofa & a plastic runner on her carpet. It looks odd. I mean what are you saving it for Do you leave the clear bra on for 10 years & then take it off & have your Mini look brand new on the front? But for the past 10 years it looked like my grandmas sofa? Don't get it sry. (& yes I have seen the film installed on a MINI in person so I know what it looks like ) I say have your car look normal (not like some condum wrapped oddity) from day one & take your dings (sry again no offense I just don't understand the whole concept if this 3M stuff, I can see it. I can see this funky little line where it ends. Don't kid yourself )

Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
rktsci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
No offense to anyone but I have never understood this clearbra thing. Sry but it reminds me of my grandma having plastic on her sofa & a plastic runner on her carpet. It looks odd. I mean what are you saving it for Do you leave the clear bra on for 10 years & then take it off & have your Mini look brand new on the front? But for the past 10 years it looked like my grandmas sofa? Don't get it sry. (& yes I have seen the film installed on a MINI in person so I know what it looks like ) I say have your car look normal (not like some condum wrapped oddity) from day one & take your dings (sry again no offense I just don't understand the whole concept if this 3M stuff)
Having watched a 325i hood get pitted down to the metal all the way across the front from 80mph driving in AZ, it was a no brainer for the MINI.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:14 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rktsci
Having watched a 325i hood get pitted down to the metal all the way across the front from 80mph driving in AZ, it was a no brainer for the MINI.
So when do you take the stuff off & have your car look normal or do you keep replacing this very noticable, odd plastic film forever? I personally would rather have my Mini dinged down to the metal than drive it for years looking like my grandmas sofa (& it does look like that don't kid yourself )

Quick Reply: Clear bra