1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

union? (not jack)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:02 AM
mommaterra
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
union? (not jack)

Was trying to locate a list of union-made and American-made cars. As one attached to a silk green 2002, with her tremendous mileage and all-around funness, I was hoping to find info about the Cowley, Oxford, UK, location where MINIs are created.

Anyone know if the shop is union? Pay a living wage? Treat its employees decently? Threaten outsourcing to China?

Interestingly, from a Green perspective, the UAW lists *three* Hummers as US-union made, and from a US-label confoundment, a Toyota.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:43 AM
mommaterra
Neutral
Does anyone know where I might find this information, even if no one knows the answer/s? Thanks, diana

Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, not a clue, although I do believe Plant Oxford has done some pretty cool things...like creative shift-hours so families could bring in some extra income. Seems to be more emphasis on proper ergonimics, environmental health, and task flexibility on the production line. Even though MINI is an international car, I don't think China is in the mix in a big way...if anything MINI may be consolidating operations somewhat as the new engines are being made down the road.

Welcome to NAM!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Edited for political content. How 'bout them Dodgers?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 AM
mommaterra
Neutral
Thank you! Now where did you learn the things you did, do you remember? What search keywords might I use on the greater 'net? --diana (and Jade, silk green 2002)

Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 AM
mommaterra
Neutral
union? (not jack)

Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
There is not much of an American auto industry left thanks to the unions.
Oh, my. I would say there's not much of an industry left owing to horrible decisions made by the *heads* of the American companies. Are unions perfect? Of course not. But why average people side with the few who run things and make millions of dollars annually, with increasing disparity between their total incomes and their average workers' wages, now up in the 300:1 range, is beyond me. Living wage income for workers, while company execs rake in millions, is not unreasonable.

Sure, I know it's customary to try to get the most for the least -- but it's not always honorable. I would rather pay more for US- and union-made, or made while paying a living wage and with employee needs in the fore, than save even several thousand dollars. If nothing else, if my neighbors receive decent pay, *I* pay less in social-welfare programs.

There are buy-local and buy-US and buy-union campaigns starting up all over the US, and it'd be nice to at least be able to say that the MINI is made by employees who are certifiably well-treated, and adequately paid. As I said, the Hummer is on the UAW list three times over, and I cannot see how anyone can justify that level of gas consumption in this age of Peak Oil and global climate change, and all that.

I know I'm not the only green-thinking MINI owner, as in this tiny prairie town (30,000 and dropping), there's another green soul, with a blue Cooper two blocks down the street.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 AM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
Edited for political content. How 'bout them Dodgers?
Let's not forget the Anaheim Angels!

(hint, hint . . . since 'mom' is new here. this board is not for political discussions.)

Old 09-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Sorry, I started it with my anti-union statement which I retracted. I haven't been to an Angels game in years - need to go soon.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:57 PM
lambspeed
3rd Gear
I work hard for a living, enough said!

Old 09-03-2006, 03:01 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
So how about the Raiders bringing back Art Shell?

Old 09-03-2006, 03:14 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mommaterra
Was trying to locate a list of union-made and American-made cars. As one attached to a silk green 2002, with her tremendous mileage and all-around funness, I was hoping to find info about the Cowley, Oxford, UK, location where MINIs are created.

Anyone know if the shop is union? Pay a living wage? Treat its employees decently? Threaten outsourcing to China?

Interestingly, from a Green perspective, the UAW lists *three* Hummers as US-union made, and from a US-label confoundment, a Toyota.
From what I've seen and heard (I've been to the plant) MINI treats its workers quite well. Don't know if it's Union or not, and based on what I saw in the areas outside the plant I would assume that the workers are making ends meet. Every Plant Oxford worker I've met (and not all of them in a company setting) are quite happy with MINI and what they do.

I seriously doubt that there is any threatening of outsourcing. Not with two plant expansions since MINI took over the plant from Rover.

You might be able to get more information over on MINI2 and there are a few Plant Oxford folks who frequent the boards there. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting details about pay.