1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wandering While Waiting - A Confession

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wandering While Waiting - A Confession

I would like to think I'm not the only one.

While waiting for delivery of the new MINI -- often for a period of two months or more -- do you all find yourselves looking at, researching, and (oh, please don't tell my MINI this) test driving other makes and models?

That was an embarrassing confession.

In any case, a week ago I tested a Mazda MX-5. Although it is peppy and handles amazingly well, it doesn't have the charm and mystique of the MINI. It also doesn't have the same cargo capacity. Then I visited and navigated through some of the Mazda Miata forums and noted almost immediately an air of juvenile tone to a number of threads and posts. (Although there are many informational posts and mateur members, too many revealed themselves as delinquents with grammar wreckage and unintelligible babble.) I cannot imagine getting too much useful information about my car from those groups.

Then, I read up on the new Mustang GT. While I never considered this car in the past (perhaps due to its marque), I discovered that the new-gen Mustang is actually a significant car in today's automotive world. Its engine has made one of the 10 bests for 2 years straight, and its architecture is nothing short of sheet-metal art. And, it's a blast to drive. BUT... compared to the MINI, it was bloated, clumsy and unpredictable around corners, ramps and town. And, it's not out to make friends, play nice, nor did it care to exude a certain animated charm. And the Mustang forums that I visited brought me right back to the high school smoking court, where nicotine and pimples bragged of kill stories and reaching "third base" with a certain Miss Muffin.

I've spent the past four weeks of my wait period investigating other cars that are within the MINI's price range, and I must conclude that there is not another car I would rather own or drive!

Thanks for listening to my own unintelligible babble.

-

Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
UsCoops
4th Gear
Oh, and just wait until you actually GET your MINI!! The folks on NAM are all great, and I've found the local MINI clubs and MINI community in general to be all great folks. 3 weeks of ownership here and looking forward to many new friends and FUN! You've made the right decision

Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
StompRocket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by powerband
I would like to think I'm not the only one.

While waiting for delivery of the new MINI -- often for a period of two months or more -- do you all find yourselves looking at, researching, and (oh, please don't tell my MINI this) test driving other makes and models?

That was an embarrassing confession.
Hi, my name is StompRocket and I have a confession...

Sorry couldn't resist. Yes I have configured and priced up an FJ Cruiser more than once. Depending on how delayed my car is at any given time! Might be interesting to hear what others have looked at...

Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
powerband, my friend.... you could of told me you were having doubts. I too struggle. Will I miss my 330, will the MCS be less reliable, will my dogs be sad that there isn't a window to hang their big runny noses out of, and the biggest one, should I have bought the JCW package?? After all, I am a speed demon! See, we all have doubts... but in the end (per the advice of a long time ex boyfriend) you can always buy another car, you do anyway every 3 yrs. Man, you are really making me regret not getting the JCW package! Stick out your leg so I kick your shin!

and why I am watching a program about the assembly of the worlds biggest hydralic excavator?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Of course many of us looked at other vehicles while waiting for our MINIs! I did numerous test-drives of other marques, just to prove to myself and to hubby that the MINI was actually as fantastic as I thought it was.

NOTHING came close to the all-around enjoyment and quality that the MINI exuded. Nothing. I even rented a MINI for a day from one of the first car rental agencies to have them back in 2002 to take an extended test-drive!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I even rented a MINI for a day from one of the first car rental agencies to have them back in 2002 to take an extended test-drive!
good thinking!!

Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl
powerband, my friend.... you could of told me you were having doubts. I too struggle. Will I miss my 330, will the MCS be less reliable, will my dogs be sad that there isn't a window to hang their big runny noses out of, and the biggest one, should I have bought the JCW package?? After all, I am a speed demon! See, we all have doubts... but in the end (per the advice of a long time ex boyfriend) you can always buy another car, you do anyway every 3 yrs. Man, you are really making me regret not getting the JCW package! Stick out your leg so I kick your shin!

and why I am watching a program about the assembly of the worlds biggest hydralic excavator?
I would have been watching the same program but for the recent delivery of my (whispers) JCW. If you knew what I know and I'm still in run in, you'd just go ahead and order the kit so they can put it on at the dealer as soon as yours gets here. It is sooo worth it. I had a free and clear 05 MCS. Now I've got an 06 JCW plus payments for a while. Dumb, right? I don't care, I've got what I want and I'm happy as a dumb clam.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 AM
leslie
6th Gear
Yup! I ordered my MINI on June 18th and was expecting a delivery date in early September. The wait was killing me. Weeks would go by and people would be constantly asking me "When are you going to get your car?" and I got frustrated whenever I saw someone else with a new car because I wanted mine so badly.

So I decided to cure the boredom by test driving other cars, mainly Toyotas. First one I test drove was the Scion tC. Very nice car, but a little too common-looking for me. Plus it doesn't help that they're like the new Honda Civic.. they're everywhere! I tried the cute little Yaris. Uh uh. Not enough power for me and it just wasn't that appealing. I test drove both models, the sedan and the hatchback.

End result? I waited (im)patiently for Sir Geoffrey to be built and shipped across the pond (I live on the West Coast so it took WAY longer) and I actually got him a few weeks earlier than expected.

Every morning I walk out my front door and see him sitting outside and I can't help but grin. He's mine.. he's perfect.. and yes, I do love him. haha.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 AM
powerband
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by climbergirl

Climbergirl,

For having doubts about my MINI, I should beg you to kick me in the head. Whatever doubt I had, though, I left it all in the back seat of the Mustang I test drove. I'm actually glad I test drove all those cars; doing so sealed the fate that I'll be a MINI owner.

The reason you're watching a program about the assembly of the world's biggest hydrolic excavator is the same reason I just read about the delicate process of watch making. It makes our personal lives infinitely better.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm a long time Miata owner as well. It makes sense that there is a younger crowd on the Miata board - old Miatas are cheap! Plenty of 'old salts' there, too. And we (NAM) certainly have our share of grammarly challenged folks. I'm actually amazed at the number of teens with a $20K+ car!

The MINI is my 'practical car', replacing (if I ever sell the damn thing!) an '85 CRX. I keep the Miatas for top down fun. And now that one can no longer take a roll bar free Miata on the track, the MINI fulfills that need as well. Oh, and it looks great, handles great (I do miss throttle steering though) and has a fantastic following. Am I being effusive?

Old 09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I have to confess that getting a MINI wasn't even my first choice. I had considered it too far out of my price range and I was worried that a Cooper wouldn't have enough power. Although I never had the experience of actually ordering my MINI (I bought it off the lot), the first 6 weeks and 2000 miles have been wonderful! Hang in there, it will be worth the wait and your MINI will have far more personality than all those other cars out there.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
jjbug
3rd Gear
I test drove two other cars before the MINI. Tried a Mazda Miata--liked it, but it was too small. That, plus the fact that I had a horrible experience at the dealership turned me off of Mazdas. I also drove a the Mitsubishi Eclipse. It handled well, but really wasn't what I was looking for. Part of the problem was it felt too big. Then a couple weeks later I drove the MINI---and ya'll know the rest of the story---it was JUST RIGHT! (Hmmmm, sounds like I should be named Goldilocks......)

Then I just had to go through the process of ordering, waiting, and hoping I made the right choice on colors and options.

Good luck during your crazy waiting period! Whatever you need to do to reaffirm you've made the right choice--and to keep you occupied--do it! The wait will be well worth it!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaxx
I would have been watching the same program but for the recent delivery of my (whispers) JCW. If you knew what I know and I'm still in run in, you'd just go ahead and order the kit so they can put it on at the dealer as soon as yours gets here. It is sooo worth it. I had a free and clear 05 MCS. Now I've got an 06 JCW plus payments for a while. Dumb, right? I don't care, I've got what I want and I'm happy as a dumb clam.

ooooh, you are making me hide my phone. Isn't it more expensive if they add it at the dealership?? I'm trying to get out of debt here... ya know!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM
jerry@suscom.net
1st Gear
I sold my loverly 10AE Miata just so I could have a back seat for my Lab. Drove a new Miata before ordering a MCC (due next week). My wife said she felt much safer in the MINI. I'm spending my waiting time surfing all the good sites and studying the manual. IMHO, the MINIacs are crazier than Miataphiles, for sure.